Velocity of notes created in the drum editor?

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

kybos
Established Member

Re: Velocity of notes created in the drum editor?

Post by kybos »

So a stand alone tutorial in PDF format is acceptable? Or is putting it in the wiki better?

I want to give something back to MusE. :)
Can't you edit the wiki directly? According to our repo settings (and the github docu), every user with a github account should be able to edit the wiki.
If it does not work, you can send me your document in the markdown format, I will include it in the wiki (a good external editor for the markdown language is e.g. VSCode, just in case you need one).

Your theme (from the above screenshot) also looks very nice, if it's complete for all views and you would be interested in contributing it to MusE, for me personally it would be a nice addition. Your colour combinations are very tasteful.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

kybos wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:28 pm Can't you edit the wiki directly? According to our repo settings (and the github docu), every user with a github account should be able to edit the wiki.
If it does not work, you can send me your document in the markdown format, I will include it in the wiki (a good external editor for the markdown language is e.g. VSCode, just in case you need one).
OK, I will check this out!
kybos wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:28 pm Your theme (from the above screenshot) also looks very nice, if it's complete for all views and you would be interested in contributing it to MusE, for me personally it would be a nice addition. Your colour combinations are very tasteful.
Thanks! I lost it when I compiled the (your! :) ) new version of Muse to try out the select-copy, but I will re-create it.

And many thanks for the new feature!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

I lost it
Hm, sorry about that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've lost track a bit of the stylesheet support - do we not have a user stylsheet folder?

If someone gets some time in the future we should add a user stylesheet folder
stored in ~./config so that it is not overwritten by new builds.
Similar to our instruments, we have built-in and we have a user folder.
When you use our Instrument Editor to edit a built-in instrument, or make a home-made instrument file,
that is where the edited version goes - to the user folder.
When MusE starts, it first looks in the user instrument folder for instruments.
However, we have no 'styleheet editor', so users will simply place their home-made stylesheets into the user folder.
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

oscillator wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:58 pm
I lost it when I compiled the (your! :) ) new version of Muse to try out the select-copy, but I will re-create it.
How did you lose it? This should not happen. If I see it right, we are talking about internal colour settings (not stylesheets). The colours are saved in your user-specific MusE-seq.cfg in the home folder.
I did a lot in the area of stylesheets and colours for 3.1. The handling of stylesheets should be quite flexible and bullet-proof now, but the handling of the internal colours is still suboptimal. They should be consequently handled as a part of the current theme and not as central settings in MusE-seq.cfg. At least now when you switch the theme, the current colours are not lost any more, they are saved in the theme-specific .cfc file in the home theme folder and reloaded when switching back to this theme.

I think I will have to document all that (plus the stylesheets) in the wiki, as it is not so obvious to the user.

[Edit] There is now a wiki page, I hope it makes it a little clearer:
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... nd-colours
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

It could simply be that he wiped his config folder, in all the trials and testing.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:37 pm It could simply be that he wiped his config folder, in all the trials and testing.
No, I didn't (although I could have :) )...

But I lost some of the theme: When going with dark colors, it is hard to see whether a button on the Transport is pressed or not (ie the loop button). Somewhere, I don't remember where sorry, I changed something so a pressed button (loop) would turn green. Loved it! Now, then I change settings in the Dark theme.qss I can't get it to work again... I should have documented my steps.

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

oscillator wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:58 pm But I lost some of the theme: When going with dark colors, it is hard to see whether a button on the Transport is pressed or not (ie the loop button). Somewhere, I don't remember where sorry, I changed something so a pressed button (loop) would turn green. Loved it! Now, then I change settings in the Dark theme.qss I can't get it to work again... I should have documented my steps.
This is what I see when doing "sudo make install":

Code: Select all

-- Installing: /usr/local/share/muse-3.1/themes/Dark Theme.cfg
-- Installing: /usr/local/share/muse-3.1/themes/Dark Theme.qss
This is overwriting my changes, which makes sense, but where should I put my own color schemes (clones of Dark Theme)?

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

oscillator wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:48 am This is overwriting my changes, which makes sense, but where should I put my own color schemes (clones of Dark Theme)?
Oh, your new wiki entry answered that: https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/ ... nd-colours. Somewhere else! :)

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Is the yellow key used for other things as well?
If not, shouldn't it be better hidden in the All-note mode? I must confess I was often not sure in which mode I am from the icon only, so the display of the yellow key could be an additional (and quite clear) mode indicator.
Well, it shows which row is currently selected, just as a sort of convenience.
Whether to show it in 'all-note' velocity mode is an interesting question.
Just an update on that: There is one other important usage of that yellow key: Per-note midi controllers (so-called 'drum controllers').
They have separate controllers for each note.
See our XG and GS instruments for examples of that.

Since there may be a mixture of drum and non-drum controller graphs showing, or none of one and all of the other,
it would probably be best to just leave things alone and always show the yellow key.
dailybug2
Established Member

Post by dailybug2 »

PLEASE continue with the Wiki. I suppose it is the only way to achieve up-to-date documentation in the non-funded open source area.

Nevertheless, offline docu is indispensable. I tried with "wget -r -k" and the result was a mess. No formatting, no images, tons of GitHub links on the first pages. The Wiki is embedded in the GitHub bloat and a lot off stuff from "above" (js, css, pics) would have to be downloaded too. This would pull in the entire GutHub universe.

It could be a good idea to move the docu to full-time standalone Wiki, featuring "save as PDF" or "download for offline browsing. I'm not the one to make strong recommendations here, but I know DokuWiki: Low-effort with appropriate export functions. Just an idea.
/* Drunk, 'll fix later ... well, usability is anyway only of interest to those who got beyond the crashes! :P */