abNinjam

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eikakot
Established Member

abNinjam

Post by eikakot »

Hi,
I've created a NINJAM client as a native Linux vst plugin. Available at https://github.com/antanasbruzas/abNinjam
Intention was to keep it simple and not overload it with many features that ninjam supports. Tested on Fedora 31 running in Bitwig Studio.
lad
Established Member

Re: abNinjam

Post by lad »

Hey eikakot, I'll plan to give it a test run on Debian 10 and BitWig later today. I'll let you know it goes.
Cheers
...trying out AV Linux
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Interesting. Must find the time to check this out.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

Nice work.The UI looks cool, neat idea. I was able to build it and load it onto the master channel in bitwig. I was able to connect to a private server and it seems to work. I'll put it through its paces another night.

To build, I followed readme. Debian has an older version of cmake, so I used snap to fetch a recent version to build. Then had to install dependencies, only difference in package name is libxcb-util0-dev.
sudo apt install libxcb-util0-dev libxcb-cursor-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-xkb-dev libxkbcommon-dev libxkbcommon-x11-dev libvorbis-dev zenity
sudo apt install snapd
snap install cmake --classic

snap run cmake ..
snap run cmake --build .
snap cmake --build . --target install --config Release
...trying out AV Linux
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Thanks everyone for trying it out. I have now lowered cmake version requirement to align with debian buster. lv2 version is also available which does not have a GUI but is usable with connection.properties file specified.
lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

I would like to see a feature for mixing the incoming audio streams. A panel of volume knobs/labels for each peer in the server. This is one feature from reaper ninjan client and Jamtaba that my ears can't live without.
...trying out AV Linux
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

Did you experience some bad mix levels with abNinjam?
lad
Established Member

Post by lad »

The mix levels seem great with abNinjam, no problem there.

My expectation was that names/audio channels would be displayed and a gain slider/knob. There doesn't really to be a UI meter element for everyone's signal, just a knob. I have found it necessary to be able to control other player's signal, especially in public servers. Just an idea! I appreciate the simplicity of abNinjam.
...trying out AV Linux
ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

I just added abNinjam to my Fedora 30, 31, 32 COPR LinuxMAO repository.
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs ... /linuxmao/
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

lad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am The mix levels seem great with abNinjam, no problem there.

My expectation was that names/audio channels would be displayed and a gain slider/knob. There doesn't really to be a UI meter element for everyone's signal, just a knob. I have found it necessary to be able to control other player's signal, especially in public servers. Just an idea! I appreciate the simplicity of abNinjam.
I understand that mixing would be a neat feature. Thing is that those remote channels are dynamic and as far as I know it won't be possible to register/unregister vst params like that. Maybe I'm wrong. But without that it would be a feature available on GUI version only. I would really like to provide a full featured GUIless plugin as well. Maybe if anyone has some clever ideas for it I'm open for suggestions. Another thing is I would not like to overcrowd the UI as well. Maybe a tabbed interface would fit here. I'll think about it.
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

ycollette wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 am I just added abNinjam to my Fedora 30, 31, 32 COPR LinuxMAO repository.
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs ... /linuxmao/
Thanks. Keep in mind that it is still not considered a stable release.
ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

Yes, don't worry. The spec file is ready and people can test the plugin on Fedora. If a problem is reported, I will fill a bug report.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... w/abNinjam

We added abNinjam to our openSUSE repo as well (LV2 only, at the moment), thank you for it!

(@ycollette didn't notice you already made a .spec, whoops! Greetings from GeekosDAW, your sister project you probably hadn't heard about :lol: you people are great, we haven't had the chance to use one of your .specs but I use LinuxMAO as a benchmark for what programs we should have and use your re-releases like Mx44 and Frontieres very often, so thanks :wink:)

As for abNinjam, I hope it becomes the reference implementation for NINJAM clients, this kind of program is much needed these days, with the lockdowns and all :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

Thank @Basslint , I will check GeekosDAW to see if there are some package I missed !
Feel free to take spec files here:
https://github.com/ycollet/fedora-spec

The last one (still WIP): openFrameworks.
eikakot
Established Member

Post by eikakot »

lad wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am The mix levels seem great with abNinjam, no problem there.

Version 0.0.4 now includes a small mixer