1000+ LV2 plugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

1000+ LV2 plugins

Post by milkii »

I after publishing a few more AUR entries the other day, I hit the 1000 installed LV2 milestone. Here's the list of URIs.
Last edited by milkii on Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Re: 1000+ LV2 plugins

Post by milkii »

I've put together an AUR meta package that depends on over 50 LV2 entries, https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lv2-plugins-aur-meta

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's really useful, thank you
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Nice! I think one problem we might have now is actually "plugin overload". I believe that curation is as important as packaging, because if a newbie installs them all and finds out that some of them crash or are badly developed, they might get a bad impression from them and go back to proprietary software.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

"plugin overload" is a problem in the mind of the creator :)

if you don't use Arch, the understanding is the AUR is a wild west. there will not be an AUR helper ever in the official repos.

i'll leave the curation to dvzrv (or, ultimately, again, the mind of the creator) ;)

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milk wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:53 pm "plugin overload" is a problem in the mind of the creator :)

if you don't use Arch, the understanding is the AUR is a wild west. there will not be an AUR helper ever in the official repos.

i'll leave the curation to dvzrv (or, ultimately, again, the mind of the creator) ;)
I see your point but I expressed myself badly, I apologize! Let me try to restate that.

Of course there can't be an LV2 plugin overload, just like there can't be a libre software overload. The more FLOSS stuff out there, the better! I think we can both agree on that.

My point is that at the point we have reached, I'd rather pick quality over quantity. I really hope crowdfunding takes off and people like Matt Tytel are able to keep developing high-quality libre software.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

Basslint wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:07 am Nice! I think one problem we might have now is actually "plugin overload"...
Plugin overload? For LV2? I think we are far away from the number of existing VST plugins.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

sjaehn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:17 pm Plugin overload? For LV2? I think we are far away from the number of existing VST plugins.
Yes but the difference is that you can't install dozens of them via a single console command like you can on most distros! :lol:

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I see two points:
1. We have far less LV2 than VST
2. I know (or can suppose what they do) dozen or two of this thousand of URIs.

For example, it's possible to build infinite module synth with these plugins and Patchage, but people would like something well documented and visual/simple.

IMHO, UNIX-way in its worse case :)
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I'm not sure how that adds up to a "worst" case p;

On one side, there are infinite modular possibilities. Sounds good to me :)

On the other point, I'm afraid I've got to call "polemic" on "I know (or can suppose what they do) dozen or two of this thousand of URIs."; I just cannot see how it can be said that functions of the majority of plugins on that list cannot be discerned from their names. Overall, not too many have "fluffy" names.

In general, LV2 is a format with metadata that literally allows plugins to declare what category of plugin they are which allows for simple search filtering of plugins.

But yes, well documented and visual/simple would be nice.

There is a feature missing here I think. Plugins don't describe theirself. Possibly the use of doap:shortdesc could be a thing? Short text on what a plugin does, that the host could somehow display?

For specific plugin funcionality documentation, maybe the existing lv2:documentation could be put to good use?

Opportunities for participation are also existing; to write or help write documentation, or to make constructive feedback to plugin creators on interfaces that confuse.

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Basslint wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:23 pmYes but the difference is that you can't install dozens of them via a single console command like you can on most distros! :lol:
There is no denying some people both hoard plugins and also suffer from a stressful paradox of choice.

A failure of imagination is a constant challenge for all creators and artists.

Maybe people could learn how to overcome this by getting "too" many plugins and learn to lean into and move through and beyond the pain ;)

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

milk wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:06 pmMaybe people could learn how to overcome this by getting "too" many plugins and learn to lean into and move through and beyond the pain ;)
Agreed. Too much choice is exactly the sort of "problem" we want.

Yes, dig in to the pile. Use them! Discard the ones you don't like. Support the ones you do, by helping to document, linking to them, and dropping financial support where you can.

This may be analogous to the problem of having too many fonts installed on your system. Uninstall the ones you don't like.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I spoke with folk in #lv2, Ardour uses an rdfs:comment on the plugin for a description in the UI, and the x42 midifilters.lv2 is an example of a plugin. Alex of Zrythm said they will implement it at some point as a tooltip, and I have requested it of DPF.

So plugin devs, rdfs:comment your plugins! :)

sjaehn
Established Member

Post by sjaehn »

milk wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm So plugin devs, rdfs:comment your plugins! :)
B.Music plugins (B.Slizr, B.Choppr, B.Shapr, B.SEQuenzr, B.Jumblr, B.Harvestr) already use rdfs:comment :-)
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

sjaehn wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:35 am
milk wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:52 pm So plugin devs, rdfs:comment your plugins! :)
B.Music plugins (B.Slizr, B.Choppr, B.Shapr, B.SEQuenzr, B.Jumblr, B.Harvestr) already use rdfs:comment :-)
And that is great :)