Ubuntu Studio and [Focusrite] - Scarlett 2i2 (USB-2) gen 2

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Dablackdog
Established Member

Ubuntu Studio and [Focusrite] - Scarlett 2i2 (USB-2) gen 2

Post by Dablackdog »

Hi there im hoping I am in the right place to recieve a little help in starting to use ubuntu as my music production workspace.

I have freshly installes Ubuntu Studio and I am connecting a [Focusrite] - Scarlett Solo gen2 as my recording interface.

I'll be recording (mono) for the time being as I route allot of my instruments through my loop pedal (and my loop pedal will be connected to the interface.

Could someone please give me a day one guide on how to get up and running, ive no idea about jack and i cant stress enough hown new I am to Linux.

This is the idea I am going with.

I will be recording audio samples in audacity.

Once saved I will be importing them to the installed DAW known as Ardour and using this to mix and arrange my samples.

Ive no idea if i need to route this through JACK or if their seperate things, if anyone was free to explain how I get starter amd recording it would be very much apreciated.

Thankyou ๐Ÿ˜
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio and [Focusrite] - Scarlett 2i2 (USB-2) gen 2

Post by bluebell »

Dablackdog wrote: โ†‘Sun May 10, 2020 1:35 am Hi there im hoping I am in the right place to recieve a little help in starting to use ubuntu as my music production workspace.

I have freshly installes Ubuntu Studio and I am connecting a [Focusrite] - Scarlett Solo gen2 as my recording interface.

I'll be recording (mono) for the time being as I route allot of my instruments through my loop pedal (and my loop pedal will be connected to the interface.

Could someone please give me a day one guide on how to get up and running, ive no idea about jack and i cant stress enough hown new I am to Linux.

This is the idea I am going with.

I will be recording audio samples in audacity.

Once saved I will be importing them to the installed DAW known as Ardour and using this to mix and arrange my samples.

Ive no idea if i need to route this through JACK or if their seperate things, if anyone was free to explain how I get starter amd recording it would be very much apreciated.

Thankyou ๐Ÿ˜
1.) You're lucky. The 2i2 works with Linux without trouble
2.) Install jackd and qjackctl if not already installed
3.) Configure jackd in qjackctl an start it. Samling rate of 48000 and buffer size of 128 is a good start.
4.) Start audacity and select jack/system as input/output
5.) Record your stuff

Linux โ€“ MOTU UltraLite AVB โ€“ Qtractor โ€“ http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Dablackdog
Established Member

Post by Dablackdog »

Thankyou very much for the reaponse.

I shall try this later on when i have the chance ๐Ÿ˜
Dablackdog
Established Member

Post by Dablackdog »

bluebell wrote: โ†‘Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 am
3.) Configure jackd in qjackctl an start it. Samling rate of 48000 and buffer size of 128 is a good start.
5.) Record your stuff
So I've had chance to try this now n would just like to go through the points.

1. Yeah this worked fine straight out of the box.
2. &...
3. Could you possibly explain the reason behind using jack ?
I have had the interface running through (and recording) via audacity without going through Jack.
4. Audacity allowed me to select the Audio interface..is there a benifit to routing through Jack first?
5. Its recording fine so atleast have sound but as before, im wondering what jack is for.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Dablackdog wrote: โ†‘Mon May 11, 2020 3:57 am
bluebell wrote: โ†‘Sun May 10, 2020 10:16 am
5.) Record your stuff
So I've had chance to try this now n would just like to go through the points.

1. Yeah this worked fine straight out of the box.
2. &...
3. Could you possibly explain the reason behind using jack ?
I have had the interface running through (and recording) via audacity without going through Jack.
4. Audacity allowed me to select the Audio interface..is there a benifit to routing through Jack first?
5. Its recording fine so atleast have sound but as before, im wondering what jack is for.
Jack offers low latency processing and is a versatile swiss army knife. You can connect any jack aware audio program with any other. If Pulse outputs to jack you have ALSA and Pulseaudio clients in the jack world, too.

Linux โ€“ MOTU UltraLite AVB โ€“ Qtractor โ€“ http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Excuse my intrude to thread. But why jack is so mandatory? If someone doesn't need audio routing and transport why he must use jack?
Dablackdog
Established Member

Post by Dablackdog »

Kott wrote: โ†‘Mon May 11, 2020 8:00 am Excuse my intrude to thread. But why jack is so mandatory? If someone doesn't need audio routing and transport why he must use jack?
I think as bluebell just nicely explained : it provides a low latency working enviroment and any audio source that recognises JACK can be used together...if i understood correctly.
Last edited by Dablackdog on Mon May 11, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

It's not so necessary, especially in your task with Audacity. Samplerate will be locked by jackd. One "benefit" I can see - record in multiple applications simultaneously.
My point is against pushing jack everywhere without understanding what it is and for what it need.
Dablackdog
Established Member

Post by Dablackdog »

I think this might be relevant to my situation.

As I am already creating the music live directly into audacity does seem like the simpler option..i imagine using Jack would have an advantage if I wanted to add instruments/ create music on the computet but as im just recording samples it seems a bit overkill.
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

hello (), sry for late , but i just saw the post : i used ubuntu-studio+focusrite too,

u just need this :

https://kx.studio/Applications:Cadence#Interface

1- (edit: https://kx.studio/Repositories install 1st their repositorie using deb link)

t2- try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cadence
dont remember well the setup commands with sudo BUT,

Cadence is THE APP for jack server, it's easy gui to set'it up. usefull if u need jack server starts at logon,

ubuntu-studio is my fav distro coz she includes all for media, music & video, ready-to-go !

hope it helps...

(edit: then in your DAW... bitwig, rosegarden,... u set audio driver to JACK.)

good luck ;)
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

You don't need jack to record and playback. But many things audio in linux assume and ONLY work with jack.

fluidsynth (midi)

ardour (DAW)

calf plugins (effects)

Some non-jack options of course. But it could be a hard long search for some of them in the absence of jack. Pipewire and other options emerging as well. I prefer ardour over audacity for field recording. Audacity records to RAM first, so if it crashes or the laptop dies from trauma or lack of battery, you effectively recorded nothing. Where ardour records to disk, so you have up until the point of failure recorded. Not the only options, rec, arecord, and others.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Ardour doesn't require JACK. It can run right on top of ALSA. For example, see here: https://manual.ardour.org/working-with- ... on-dialog/