VST3 SDK finally GPL'ed!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Re: VST3 SDK finally GPL'ed!

Post by sadko4u »

You also may use these headers for VST2.
https://github.com/sadko4u/lsp-plugins/ ... /steinberg
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

evmusic wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:21 am Sorry my tutorial was not helpful. I am a Mac user learning Linux. As of right now, I have found VST3 to be a pain with Ardour. It is not supported in the latest stable version of Ardour. Also, Steinberg seems to have dropped support for the VST2 SDK. According to their usage guidelines, GPLv3 is only applicable to the VST3 SDK. The VST2 SDK had a separate license which is no longer in use. With VST3, you can either release your VST3 in binary form under the “Proprietary Steinberg VST3 License,” or you can release your VST3 as open source under the GPLv3. If you’re trying to build an open source plugin for Ardour, you might consider looking at the LV2 Plugin SDK. LV2 is fully supported in Ardour and some other Linux DAWs. There are many repositories which have open source examples for LV2 plugins. I hope this information helps people and is relevant enough for this thread. This isn’t the only solution. I just wanted to share what I am doing to work around this problem. There are other plugin formats you can use, and you could try to dig up the old VST2 SDK and get it working with Ardour. You won’t be able to release any part of the VST2 SDK as open source though since it’s under the ”Proprietary Steinberg VST2 License” and not the GPLv3. You might be able to release your plugin’s code alone. I’m still not very clear on this. I’m going to ask my lawyer for legal advice because I’m curious to learn about how this works. See what Steinberg has to say about the VST SDK licensing here:
https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286 .
Welcome! I think at this point, any contribution is great.

It seems like the usual dual licensing model, and in that case you are right - you either release your plugin under the GPLv3 or negotiate an exception with Steinberg.

I think this as a whole is good for the community but there are three reasons I prefer LV2:
1) It's an open standard along with a free implementation, not controlled by a single corporation
2) It looks much simpler than VST3
3) It's actually more battle-tested than VST3 on GNU/Linux. Even though VST3 officially came out in 2008, everybody either just kept using VST2 or switched to LV2 on GNU/Linux, and this in my eyes makes LV2 more reliable
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

a reminder that as a host Qtractor >= 0.9.13 includes native VST3 support (on Linux of course)

cheers
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

rncbc wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:49 am a reminder that as a host Qtractor >= 0.9.13 includes native VST3 support (on Linux of course)

cheers
do you have plans to port Vee One Suite to VST3 ? :)
evmusic

Post by evmusic »

That’s interesting. I was not aware there are other ways to make VST’s other than using Steinberg. Thank you everyone for sharing though! I’m just a beginner, and this stuff is exciting and new to me. I can’t wait to learn more about it. And yes, that’s a good point. There are programs like Qtractor which do support VST3. I wish it would be supported with Ardour. However, like everyone mentioned, there are other options or routes you can take like LV2 or try to use a different VST2 SDK. Thank you everyone for the helpful information!
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Kott wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:32 pm
rncbc wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:49 am a reminder that as a host Qtractor >= 0.9.13 includes native VST3 support (on Linux of course)

cheers
not even in my wildest dreams... why?
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

rncbc wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:14 pm
Kott wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:32 pm
not even in my wildest dreams... why?
Just curious. Maybe you'd like to spread plugins to other non-LV2 DAWs.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

Kott wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:15 am Just curious. Maybe you'd like to spread plugins to other non-LV2 DAWs.
like the Mandalorian on Linux, LV2 is the way.

nuff said ;)
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

hehe..
been making/producing/performing music exclusively in linux for close to 15 years or so now, and not used a single lv2 plugin..
am i doing it wrong?
:D
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

skei wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:13 pm hehe..
been making/producing/performing music exclusively in linux for close to 15 years or so now, and not used a single lv2 plugin..
am i doing it wrong?
:D
No, because you're a music maker/producer/performer. If you had been a developer of linux plugins for that 15 years then we may have questioned your sanity a bit more...

e.g. I tend to find lv2 plugins a lot easier to compile on non x86/x86_64 based systems.
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

Baggypants wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 12:13 amIf you had been a developer of linux plugins for that 15 years then we may have questioned your sanity a bit more...
does 13 years count? :-)
https://sites.google.com/site/cernlinuxvst/
(oldest link i could find that still worked)
my sanity can probably be questioned anyway, hehe..

btw, i have made lv2 (and ladspa & dssi) plugins too..
but not anymore..