'Thanks for posts' plugin for phpBB3

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

'Thanks for posts' plugin for phpBB3

Post by milkii »

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... r_posts_2/ / https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2259046

As a single bit 'out-of-band' communication channel it's effective at passing on both sentiments of thanks as well as indicating what post content is considered important or notable by others.

It works as a thumb icon next to the quote and reply icons. Example setup on https://forum.odroid.com

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

tavasti
Established Member

Re: 'Thanks for posts' plugin for phpBB3

Post by tavasti »

This would be great. There is many posts which are great, but I feel replying message saying 'gr8' too stupid and spamming.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

tavasti wrote:This would be great. There is many posts which are great, but I feel replying message saying 'gr8' too stupid and spamming.
Yeah, but . . . It might be better for discussion to have a limited feature set in the forum interface. Think of how much the "Like" button has shut down conversation on Facebook. When all you have to do is click a button then you don't really think about your response. And splitting the "Like" button into all those other options (Love, Laugh, Anger, whatever) didn't really help.

I'm not opposed to the OP idea, but we should be clear about the tradeoffs. It's good to be a bit of a Luddite sometimes, even on a geek forum. :)
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

milo wrote:
tavasti wrote:This would be great. There is many posts which are great, but I feel replying message saying 'gr8' too stupid and spamming.
Yeah, but . . . It might be better for discussion to have a limited feature set in the forum interface. Think of how much the "Like" button has shut down conversation on Facebook. When all you have to do is click a button then you don't really think about your response. And splitting the "Like" button into all those other options (Love, Laugh, Anger, whatever) didn't really help.

I'm not opposed to the OP idea, but we should be clear about the tradeoffs. It's good to be a bit of a Luddite sometimes, even on a geek forum. :)
ACK
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

I like it, but we're on 3.3.0 and the plugin is for 3.2.x. Feel free to ping me when a new version comes out.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

*thumb up* :)

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

What about emoji reactions like Github/Gitlab does? They are less of a rating of a post and allow expressing different emotions. That'd be less similar to a "like button".

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2397266
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I don't particularly get any impression that the Thanks button feels like a cold post rating system when it has been used on the ODROID forum.

The Topic/Post Reactions one is like the new school Facebook like button with multiple options, which could be good, also bring the ability for people to show anger at others, which could potentially create a somewhat combative tone.

What I'm more worried about though is that I can't see a repo for it and there appears to be a total of two posts on the quiet demo forum of the developer, so whether it will see fixes or betterment, who knows.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:15 am The Topic/Post Reactions one is like the new school Facebook like button with multiple options, which could be good, also bring the ability for people to show anger at others, which could potentially create a somewhat combative tone.
I agree with you :)

I've been reading reddit for many years now (and Digg and Slashdot before that) and after what I've seen there, I am against upvote systems of all kinds, even when there aren't any downvotes. I think they should be avoided because in the end, they often end up being the medium through which a mob, an hivemind is created. My worry is that a lack of "Thanks" would in the end be the same as a negative reaction.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Basslint wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:49 amI am against upvote systems of all kinds, even when there aren't any downvotes.
👍
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I'm guessing/perceiving those last two posts are/as heavy in ironic sarcasm given they were essentially "likes" in the form of actual posts.

Today I would really like to signal my thanks to eikakot for creating an LV2 of abNinjam, but it would be entirely wasteful of me to reply with a "nice!", which does carry sentiment but when that sentiment could just have been a Thumb Up it's can be viewed more as essentially noise. (If I however had any actual useful feedback, however short, I wouldn't hesitate to reply.)

I think many people think like that, which is fair enough, but it does lead to a feeling some times that a thread is a bit of a ghost town, where the truth is many people do actually care, and it would be nice to accommodate that middle ground.

Having thought about it, I wouldn't be keen on the other emoji reactions plugin, the one that is like the current FB experience, I do think it would stir up potential for more wondering-about-the-intention-of-reactions rather than a simple 'silent' "thanks".

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Ah well, thanks for clarifying, but my point holds, a thumbs up can also act like an informal polling mechanism. AFAIU, we're having a debate on a proposal with the aim of understanding each others concerns and moving towards a possible consensus. I don't think it would be harmful, and I think that form of 1-bit communication would have a lot of worth, and people can either not use it if they don't want to and make their own replies, no problem, or if it does prove somehow harmful, it can be removed.

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

milk wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:48 pm Ah well, thanks for clarifying, but my point holds, a thumbs up can also act like an informal polling mechanism. AFAIU, we're having a debate on a proposal with the aim of understanding each others concerns and moving towards a possible consensus. I don't think it would be harmful, and I think that form of 1-bit communication would have a lot of worth, and people can either not use it if they don't want to and make their own replies, no problem, or if it does prove somehow harmful, it can be removed.
I think this is perfectly reasonable. I'm not opposed to a 1-bit feedback mechanism, and would probably use it.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Is it then publicly displayed for each user how many +/- 1-bit feedback mechanisms each individual user has received?
Could it be that certain users use this +/- 1-bit feedback mechanism strategically, specifically and massively?
Other users, who form their answers in the form of sentences, are less noticed (read) because it is more work to understand these arguments and in contrast to the +/- 1-bit feedback mechanism is not publicly displayed?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.