AV Linux 2020.4.10 Released!!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020.4.10 Released!!

Post by GMaq »

sjzstudio wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:27 pm Is it possible to upgrade from 2019.4.10 or do i need to reinstall whole system?
Hi, because this is an entire migration to a whole new Debian version (from 9-10) it is not a matter of just upgrading a few packages it is necessary to start fresh with a new install..
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Yes, I installed it completely new. Works great and everything as it should. Great usability.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

hello Glenn, but why aren't the basic debian buster repositories included in the kernel section? I would have liked to try to see if with the kernel 4.19 rt av linux, as mx linux 19 and studio music 64 recognized me the audio card maudio firewire solo. With the serial kernel of av linux the card is not seen and you need to connect and disconnect the firewire cable several times to try to activate the ffado drivers ... :roll:

gennaro
Last edited by gennargiu on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
trulan
Established Member

Post by trulan »

gennargiu wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:51 pm hello Glenn, but why aren't the basic debian buster repositories included in the kernel section? I would have liked to try to see if with the kernel 4.19 rt av linux, as mx linux 19 and studio music 64 recognized me the audio card maudio firewire only. With the serial kernel of av linux the card is not seen and you need to connect and disconnect the firewire cable several times to try to activate the ffado drivers ... :roll:

gennaro
I did confirm that firewire audio is working with my hardware on the new kernels. Granted, I have devices that have been supported since way back in the FreeBob days... The Ffado drivers work like they always have, and the Alsa drivers work as long as I keep latencies bigger than 10ms. No blacklisting is needed, I can switch back and forth between the two with QJackCtl. I'm not sure what would have changed that would break things for your MAudio card.

The older AV Linux kernels won't show up in the repos because they were compiled with an older version of gcc from the older Debian base. They would probably work fine though as long as you're not trying to build out-of-tree kernel modules like VirtualBox or NVidia. The Debian kernels should be there though; if not, you could manually download them from here: https://packages.debian.org/buster/kernel/
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@gennargiu

As trulan said we try to keep the Distribution and kernels with matching GCC versions but AV Linux 2020 ships with only the Buster Kernel Repo enabled with the 5.X.X Kernels, if you want an older 4.X.X Kernel you need to add the the older "Stretch" Kernel Repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Like this:

Open the 'AV Linux Assistant' and go to the APT-Sistant tab and click on the "Edit APT Sources List" button, enter your Root Password and Mousepad will open /etc/apt/sources.list for editing.. Scroll down to this line (line 17):
# AVL Kernels
deb http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt/ buster main
Add this new line underneath:
Save the changes in Mousepad, Open Synaptic and Reload the Packages list and the 4.X.X Kernels should appear as installable
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

GMaq wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:45 pm @gennargiu

As trulan said we try to keep the Distribution and kernels with matching GCC versions but AV Linux 2020 ships with only the Buster Kernel Repo enabled with the 5.X.X Kernels, if you want an older 4.X.X Kernel you need to add the the older "Stretch" Kernel Repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list.

Like this:

Open the 'AV Linux Assistant' and go to the APT-Sistant tab and click on the "Edit APT Sources List" button, enter your Root Password and Mousepad will open /etc/apt/sources.list for editing.. Scroll down to this line (line 17):
# AVL Kernels
deb http://www.bandshed.net/kernels/apt/ buster main
Add this new line underneath:
Save the changes in Mousepad, Open Synaptic and Reload the Packages list and the 4.X.X Kernels should appear as installable
Many thanks Glenn with old kernel 4.xx my maudio firewire solo work perfect on various gnu linux distro with kx studio repo.....with new kernel 5.xx a great disaster :D for my audio card firewire......

Gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

At moment i have used this kernel rt on studio music 64 ( debian buster based + kx studio repo) and maudio firewire solo work perfect :D

4.19.0-8-rt-amd64

gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

hello glenn I followed your advice and I managed to install the 4.19.0.8 rt kernel on av linux, but after a grub update and a reboot in the options it always only appeared the 5.4 kernel so I could not verify if with a kernel anymore old av linux worked with my firewire sound card. :roll:

gennaro
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

gennargiu wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:17 pm hello glenn I followed your advice and I managed to install the 4.19.0.8 rt kernel on av linux, but after a grub update and a reboot in the options it always only appeared the 5.4 kernel so I could not verify if with a kernel anymore old av linux worked with my firewire sound card. :roll:

gennaro
Hi Gennaro,

When you install an 'older' kernel on a system it will always boot the newest installed Kernel by default. When your system boots up and you see the Debian GRUB boot screen you need to select the 2nd boot option "Advanced Options for Debian/GNU Linux" (or whatever the text is in Italian) and that will give you the option to boot any other additional Kernels on the system:
GRUB.png
GRUB.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
If you install an older 4.X.X Kernel and everything is working how you want you can then boot with the 4.X.X Kernel, Uninstall the 5.X.X Kernel with Synaptic and when you reboot then the 4.X.X Kernel will be the new default Kernel..
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Glenn,But I have selected the advanced entry, but there are only 5.4 kernels !!! I also removed the avlinux 5.4 kernel from the package manager ... :roll:

gennaro
Lume
Established Member

Post by Lume »

Av Linux 2020 downloaded, installed and rocking hard. So far, so good, no issues, zero problems!.

Thank you for this release, GMaq!! :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Lume wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 am Av Linux 2020 downloaded, installed and rocking hard. So far, so good, no issues, zero problems!.

Thank you for this release, GMaq!! :D
Well look at that it works! :lol:

Thanks for the report, I'm sure you'll find something in time..lol, let me know if you do!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

gennargiu wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:40 pm Hi Glenn,But I have selected the advanced entry, but there are only 5.4 kernels !!! I also removed the avlinux 5.4 kernel from the package manager ... :roll:

gennaro
Hi Gennaro,

I'm afraid I don't have an answer yet why the older Kernels are not getting picked up by GRUB, I don't have time to look into that further right now. We have seen that some Firewire devices are working with with 5.4.28 kernel but I don't know why your M-Audio device is no longer supported.

What is the name and model of your device?

It is important to realize that we have to move ahead with Kernels to support modern devices and that for obsolete hardware Firewire support is going to disappear in time anyway. Maybe an older Kernel will get a bit more time out your device but for both Hardware and Software support Firewire is obsolete.
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

my audio card firewire is maudio firewire solo and work perfect with kernel basic or rt 4.19.0.8 on studiomusic 64 remix based on debian buster + repo kx studio or mx linux 19.1 based on debian buster + repo kxstudio :roll: hi glenn

gennaro
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

GMaq wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:54 pm @khz @gennargiu

Thanks very much! Stay healthy!

@Kott

SFZero is a LinuxVST SFZ hosting plugin, it has seen some work and improvements by @ubuntuuser but it does not recognize all opcodes for some SFZ files..

SFZero.png
I've done some things with SFZero-X which is basically a more featured SFZero, more opcodes etc but nowhere near Sforzando.

Updated for Juce6/Vst3 and a last used folder feature has been added.

The vst3 seems to have GUI problems with Bitwig but Reaper is ok, Juce 6 and it's Linux/Vst3 features are only Beta at the moment.

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero-X

https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero-X-DiskStreaming