Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

Post by GMaq »

AV Linux 2020.4.10 has been released: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=21284

Because is not efficient or fair to plug up the 'Linux Music News" forum with tech support posts this thread is for those looking to report and get help with AV Linux 2020.4.10 issues. Please note even with Covid-19 going on I work most days so if you don't get an immediate answer be patient. If you are an experienced AV Linux (or Linux Audio) User and you can help with answering any queries your time and assistance would be very much appreciated!

Thanks! Glen
MrZed
Established Member

Re: Thread for AV Linux 2020.4.10 Issues

Post by MrZed »

Hello Glen
Hope you and yours are in good health ... Spring's-done-sprung so I can imagine all there is to do out in the back-40! Thanks for all the work on the Distro and will test it out when i also have the time ... country-dweller as well!

Cheers
Harmonica Zeke
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

MrZed wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:54 pm Hello Glen
Hope you and yours are in good health ... Spring's-done-sprung so I can imagine all there is to do out in the back-40! Thanks for all the work on the Distro and will test it out when i also have the time ... country-dweller as well!

Cheers
Harmonica Zeke
Hi and thanks!

You are absolutely right things have gone from winter slacking to not enough hours in a day very quickly and that was indeed the reason for getting AVL 2020 out the door now before I'm too busy. Nice to hear from you, I hope the new AVL is to your liking.. :)
jquad
Established Member

Post by jquad »

hi! I installed the new AV-linux yesterday. It is up and running and is looking good, however there are a few points I'd like to mention:

I burned the ISO to a dvd, that went fine, install went fine but when the dvd was shutting down it ejected the dvd way before everything was finished. So I got loads of warnings about not being able to access the dvd. The install was complete so that was no issue.

when I boot from harddisk I still get the systemback user authenticate popup that asks for the root password.

When I use Carla to scan and load windows VST it doesn't add them to the list. And when I try to run a VST (like rhythmus) if doesn't work and states carla_engine_close engine is not running. I use the same settings as the AV linux 2019 and it all works there. Is the path /usr/bin/wine OK of do I have to use the /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine ? Both don't work. I use experimental settings + correct wine setting.

thanks for this amazing release!
Kind regards
Joop
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

jquad wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 am hi! I installed the new AV-linux yesterday. It is up and running and is looking good, however there are a few points I'd like to mention:

I burned the ISO to a dvd, that went fine, install went fine but when the dvd was shutting down it ejected the dvd way before everything was finished. So I got loads of warnings about not being able to access the dvd. The install was complete so that was no issue.

when I boot from harddisk I still get the systemback user authenticate popup that asks for the root password.

When I use Carla to scan and load windows VST it doesn't add them to the list. And when I try to run a VST (like rhythmus) if doesn't work and states carla_engine_close engine is not running. I use the same settings as the AV linux 2019 and it all works there. Is the path /usr/bin/wine OK of do I have to use the /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine ? Both don't work. I use experimental settings + correct wine setting.

thanks for this amazing release!
Kind regards
Joop
Hi,

Did you install from a Live session or install directly from the Systemback Boot screen? If you don't install from a Live session Systemback seems to behave like you haven't installed yet..

From the User Manual Page 12:
Make sure to choose “Boot Live System” from the Boot Options !
When You Boot the AV Linux ISO at the beginning of the boot you will see the Systemback ‘splash
screen’ which will have four options listed, the top two options are “Boot Live System” and “Boot
System Installer”. It is strongly suggested to NOT install AV Linux using the “Boot System Installer”
menu option and to instead choose the top “Boot Live System” option and follow the instructions in
the next section closely.
Regarding Carla, to my knowledge there should be no reason to change the Wine path settings, even though the install path of Wine staging is in /opt it behaves like any other Wine.. Have you run Wine-Staging's initial config from the First Tab of the AV Linux Assistant? Do the Windows plugins installed in /usr/local/lib/vst that are pre configured with linvst '.so' files show up in Carla?
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Do I read this correctly?
AV Linux Kernel Repository wrote:3rd Party Video drivers by nVidia and AMD are not supported to build with RT Kernels..
For example I only find graphics cards with "graphics chip :: AMD NVIDIA".

My question to everybody: What ~cheap, good graphics card can you recommend to me to enjoy RT AVLinux?

<EDIT>Since it might be too specific, I have outsourced it. Please, if, answer here. Thanks.</EDIT>
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

khz wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:31 pm Do I read this correctly?
AV Linux Kernel Repository wrote:3rd Party Video drivers by nVidia and AMD are not supported to build with RT Kernels..
For example I only find graphics cards with "graphics chip :: AMD NVIDIA".

My question to everybody: What ~cheap, good graphics card can you recommend to me to enjoy RT AVLinux?
I just built a machine with an AMD Radeon RX 570 chip on a Gigabyte Card and it works perfectly with the AV Linux RT Kernel with the Xorg 'amdgpu' drivers. I even have smooth operation of Compiz, probably not good for hardcore gaming but I don't game.. Also remember with AV Linux you can install the lowlatency Kernel and install 3rd party Video drivers with SGFXI..
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

GMaq wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:43 pm I just built a machine with an AMD Radeon RX 570 chip on a Gigabyte Card and it works perfectly with the AV Linux RT Kernel with the Xorg 'amdgpu' drivers.
Ah, good to know. I'm looking for an RT-compatible video card.
GMaq wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:43 pm Also remember with AV Linux you can install the lowlatency Kernel and install 3rd party Video drivers with SGFXI..
That's a very good option.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
jquad
Established Member

Post by jquad »

Hi Glen, you were right I installed from the boot menu. I did it right this afternoon and it all works fine now!

regarding the win vsts and Carla i'm gonna try tonight. Everything works so I hope this will, too ;)
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

Hi Glen and Musicians,

I am working on a new laptop with two nvme drives. Win10 on 1st and Ubuntu 20.04 zfs on 2nd slot. Then I got an update about the new AVL64 and knew the Ubuntu was coming off.

1. Systemback didnt acknowledge my 2nd nvme. So I formatted the drive to ext4/swap. Rebooted.
2. This time thunar sees the drive. Systemback still doesn't provide an option.
3. I have already turned off secure boot and I am running in Legacy mode.

Maybe I should switch the drive slots? I am going to try that.

Brian Clem
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

canezila wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:55 pm Hi Glen and Musicians,

I am working on a new laptop with two nvme drives. Win10 on 1st and Ubuntu 20.04 zfs on 2nd slot. Then I got an update about the new AVL64 and knew the Ubuntu was coming off.

1. Systemback didnt acknowledge my 2nd nvme. So I formatted the drive to ext4/swap. Rebooted.

Brian Clem
Hi Brian!

Unfortunately as I've mentioned in another thread, I personally have no NVMe systems to test and I don't know the exact particulars of what the capabilities of the forked version of Systemback with added NVMe support are. Until we get some more successful installs with NVMe systems and some data about what works and what doesn't I personally can't give you too much guidance at this point I'm afraid..
rohitverma1
Established Member

Post by rohitverma1 »

Brian Clem
Hi Brian,

I have installed the AVLinux 2020-04-10 on my NVMe M.2 SSD. I must state that i have only one NVMe drive in my system.
AVLinux uses systemback which is a little different than simple installation.

Answers to these few questions may help :-
1) Win10 requires GPT+EFI. It should not boot in legacy mode. How is your booting managed. ?
2) Is the SATA setting in your BIOS is set to AHCI ? (CAUTION :- NO OS WILL BE DETECTED IF you change the current value no matter what it is, save the changes and reboot)

BELOW IS PRESENTED AS ADVICE, KINDLY READ CAREFULLY and THEN DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO DO IT.

Since you are removing Ubuntu from your system, to properly do it for AVLinux installation :-
1) First, Change the boot order by placing the windows boot entry at the top and delete boot entry for ubuntu using efibootmgr.
You can do it the above step in windows also. If you wanna do it in windows, find a guide, there are lots.
2) Now you format the drive it is installed on from AVLinux booted live, so that new grub finds it easy to manage the boot using following steps :-
a) Clear first 2MiB of the 2nd NVMe(All data will be lost on that NVMe drive). It will erase the partition table and any boot codes and hence all the data. Sometimes boot code remains even after a format. This step is done to remove it. Before that, note down the /dev/nvme entry for drive you want to install on. You can do it by -

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvme-drive-to-use-for-avlinux-installation status=progress count=4096 bs=512
Now, You will have to create a new partition table as the drive is now unrecognizable for any installer. Open gparted in AVLinux live, Use GPT because i highly recommend it and AVLinux fully supports it. Create partitions for AVLinux as per your requirements using gparted. Reboot. Disable legacy mode if you have not already and boot in live, open systemback and proceed with the installation using the windows created efi partition for /boot/efi, other drive partitions for their mount points. Disabling Legacy Mode will ensure that AVLinux is booted in efi mode and windows 10 installation is detected to make an entry in the boot menu during AVLinux installation process.
3) ADVICE - Kindly get all the partitions ready before installation and then proceed with it by first booting AVLinux live for "isotester" user and then open systemback from there for installation. DO NOT check the "format" option in systemback when selecting the mount point. Proceed normally after that.

I must warn you once again to FIRST READ IT VERY CAREFULLY as so much is written here. If you decide to proceed with it, any data loss(i doubt there will be any but still) will be your responsibility. It is not to scare you but to make you aware that one wrong step you didn't realize before its done and you may loose all your precious data my friend :)
Let us know if you succeed in it. It will help others also. :)
Last edited by rohitverma1 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
rohitverma1
Established Member

Post by rohitverma1 »

Hi,

Somehow EQ10Q neither mono nor stereo GUI is opening. I have tried to change the project, on a newly created track, on a previously already working track but GUI just doesn't open. I am confused as what could be the problem. I recently Dist-Upgrade (after this problem) and problem persists.
For now, i'm working with a-EQ which is good in its own right. :)
Also, mpv freezes when open large files. Maybe it is not able to buffer on-the-fly. Could be because of transparent_hugepage=never ? This has not happened before.
Any kind of help is appreciated :)
Last edited by rohitverma1 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
canezila
Established Member

Post by canezila »

GMaq wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:32 am

Brian Clem
Hi Brian!

Unfortunately as I've mentioned in another thread, I personally have no NVMe systems to test and I don't know the exact particulars of what the capabilities of the forked version of Systemback with added NVMe support are. Until we get some more successful installs with NVMe systems and some data about what works and what doesn't I personally can't give you too much guidance at this point I'm afraid..

**update** Technology and hardware can just be quirky sometimes. Physically switching the m.2 drive order worked. Actually, it gave me control to install on the correct m.2 drive.

I update grub and then can run my Win10 drive like before.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

rohitverma1 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:29 pm Hi,

Somehow EQ10Q neither mono nor stereo GUI is opening. I have tried to change the project, on a newly created track, on a previously already working track but GUI just doesn't open. I am confused as what could be the problem. I recently Dist-Upgrade (after this problem) and problem persists.
For now, i'm working with a-EQ which is good in its own right. :)
Also, mpv freezes when open large files. Maybe it is not able to buffer on-the-fly. Could be because of transparent_hugepage=never ? This has not happened before.
Any kind of help is appreciated :)
Hi, first thanks very much for posting the NVMe info!

EQ10Q has a long history of having it's UI break because it has a toolkit based (GTK) UI, if EQ10 is built with the same GTK libs in Ardour then it will work, if there is a mismatch then it may break.. This is why many big plugin projects (LSP, Guitarix, x42) are already using or migrating to X11 UI's, desktop toolkits (GTK,QT) are not a good solution. Both EQ10Q and the Ardour 5.12 packaged in AV Linux originate from the KXStudio repositories so I don't maintain them directly. The problem is you may get EQ10 to work and then upgrade to Ardour 6 and it breaks again. I would recommend the x42 parametric EQ or the LSP multiband EQ's as alternatives. If you want to report the UI bug to falkTX the maintainer of the KXStudio repos you can report here:

https://github.com/KXStudio/Repository/issues