Chat Forum

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike_blackstock
Established Member

Chat Forum

Post by mike_blackstock »

I took the liberty of setting up a chat forum for everyone on this site; it's at
http://www.blackstock.ca/linuxmusicianschat.php

I myself have it running in my firefox left-hand panel so I can see when people login . I think the addon is called 'multi-panel' or 'all-in-one-sidebar' - too lazy to check. Anyway, I'm here at the office usually from 11am - 3pm EST.

'phpfreechat' is the name of the program in it's pretty good - also highly configurable. You can have different chat rooms plus other stuff.

Cheers,
Mike

PS - oh yeah I was here in the 'suggestion box' to suggest a chat forum by I figured why not just set one up on my own server? Our webserver sits in my office here so I don't have to go through a service provider
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Very cool! Would we maybe want to set up an IRC chat as well? Let us know!
studio32

Post by studio32 »

nathan wrote:Very cool! Would we maybe want to set up an IRC chat as well? Let us know!
I think you should first wait how many people will take part on this forum.

Second and more important, there are allready Irc chanels for linux audio

freenode:
#lad
##linuxaudio

a new irc wil thing make more 'spread up'...

Also a chat will not be needed since there's a IRC already.. and also again, it's better to connect with the whole linux audio music making community cause it is a relative small one
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:a new irc wil thing make more 'spread up'...
As for IRC I tend to agree: let's point people to ##linuxaudio@freenode and meet each other there.
Also a chat will not be needed since there's a IRC already.. and also again, it's better to connect with the whole linux audio music making community cause it is a relative small one
(As for a web-based chat: i'm not awfully interested in that myself - perhaps some web-based IRC client might provide the best of both worlds, but I'd say that's up to Mike).
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

I agree we may want to hold off on an IRC till we have more members...however I'm not stopping anybody that just wants to get together in Mike's chat or whatever.

As far a spreading too thin goes, I also agree that should be a consideration, however we also have to keep in mind that being a Linux using musician encompasses more than just audio production, such as writing about music (could involve Lilypond plugins for Open Office), score typesetting, and even ear training applications. So, at some point it may be appropriate for a separate chat. Not saying today or necessarily ever...just that it may be appropriate.
mike_blackstock
Established Member

nathan wrote:Very cool! Would we maybe want to set up an IRC chat as well? Let us know!
Sure - the more options, the better. The phpfreechat happened to be on my system
so it took me just a minute to set it up for anyone who wants to use it. I'm thking
ahead to a linux musicians application server [perhaps now's a good time to coin
'lmas' ?] where people can login and install apps and so on.

Cheers,
Mike
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Absolutely, a super great idea.

-Matt :D

studio32

Post by studio32 »

mike_blackstock wrote:
Sure - the more options, the better. The phpfreechat happened to be on my system
so it took me just a minute to set it up for anyone who wants to use it. I'm thking
ahead to a linux musicians application server [perhaps now's a good time to coin
'lmas' ?] where people can login and install apps and so on.

Cheers,
Mike
You are very enthousiastic :)

...but as I said... I don't think 'the more options, the better'... But more central or community the better...

So I'd rather like to see more people who uses the IRC on freenode ##linuxaudio or #lad , then more channels with a few people....

I think ##linuxaudio is the best for a chat... but not very many people yet...
mike_blackstock
Established Member

I think ##linuxaudio is the best for a chat... but not very many people yet...[/quote]

yep, IRC is great.

Thinking ahead though, many offices have the IRC port blocked; how does
one access it? I mean, you and I can figure out a way around it, but what
about people without the skills to circumvent blocked ports?

Just thinking out loud here. Gotta run but we'll continue discussion tomorrow?

Cheers,
Mike
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I think most people can get access to IRC. Let us try that first and we can eventually open a chatroom if it's needed..

... just my opinion ;)
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

As I see it currently, Linux audio talk is mainly visible in #ardour. I'm omniexistent since recently in there and a few others like #LAD, ##linuxaudio, #lmms and #archlinux-proaudio. Frankly, there isn't much "talk" going on anywhere. So even if you were to create yet _another_ channel, I don't think there'd be any difference.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

On the ubuntu-nl website they've made a chat which uses the IRC channel: http://www.ubuntu-nl.org/chat/

So you can get access to that channel using chat or IRC..

We could do this with ##linuxaudio for example...

edit: you can also get a connection to ##linuxaudio in the ubuntu-nl chat if you put in /join ##linuxaudio ...

So there're a lot possibities, and I think this one is the best because you have AND IRC AND chat AND not a more segmented linux audio community!

edit2: they use mibbit.com
edit3: This is what I found on the ardour website: 'We would like to recommend mibbit.com as an excellent Web-based interface to IRC.'
edit4: Here you can find how you can implement mibbit chat on your website: http://media.mibbit.com/widget.php http://wiki.mibbit.com/index.php/Widget

I'd like to see a link to the chat on ##linuxaudio
mike_blackstock
Established Member

studio32 wrote:I think most people can get access to IRC. Let us try that first and we can eventually open a chatroom if it's needed..

... just my opinion ;)
I was outta town for a bit....

Anyway, I did a quick a mockup page with the embedded mibbit widget. It's at
www.blackstock.ca/chat_demo.html

However, there was nobody in the ##linuxaudio channel so I figure
I'm doing something wrong - maybe you or somebody could try it and
put the right code to embed in the form box there.

My own interest is in having a chat mechanism for real-time
collaboration between developers on a musicians' web app/portal
server; I have not much time just to 'shoot the breaze" about limux/music
in a chatroom, be it IRC or what-not. Echoing what Nathan pointed out,
'm not sure if 'linuxaudio' - with it's implied focus on audio-related
matters - is the right mechanism for discuiing lilypond score development,
Nutch-based music search engines and the like.

Oh yeah, in another thread, someone mentioned portals. I have quite
a number of portal development systems installed which I'll dust off and get
going so people can experiment. I think I saw a Java programmer in one
of the forums - one of the portal platforms is Jetspeed ('Jetspeed 2').

Cheers,
Mike
studio32

Post by studio32 »

##linuxaudio is at freenode....
irc.freenode.net

I think we have to try linuxaudio first, I see possibilities there. On #lad the speak more about specific software and development...

I like to have a big and central community as possible.

I we can find our place there, we can always decide to start another channel... Also, 'our' community is not large enough to have a chatchannel...

edit: did you see how they did it? #ubuntu-nl is also at freenode... http://www.ubuntu-nl.org/chat/
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:##linuxaudio is at freenode....
irc.freenode.net
In other words, use:

http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.fre ... linuxaudio