What music did your parents play in the car at home etc?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Re: What music did your parents play in the car at home etc?

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

G-Maq wrote: Those of us experiencing the lukewarm reheated 1960's through volume after volume of revisionist history really will never know what it was really like to directly experience those kind of positive and progressive changes,
True. Take Paul McCartney's Yesterday, for example: total cliché today. But what a sensation that was, upon first release!

Classical music and 'beat' music, as the European offspring of American R&R was then called, strictly segregated. The former regarded as 'eternal', the latter as merely vulgar, generally. A bunch of soon to be forgotten one-trick ponies, rather, making just a lot of horrid noise. Class snobbery, too, not alien to that stance, I suspect.

But then a young bloke, in his early twenties, enters the fringe and has the temerity to add a classical string quartet to some "ordinary" pop song! Oh, the shock! Oh the horror!

Looking at that classic now, even as picked to the bone as it is, this must be inconceivable, I imagine, to the young(ish) of today. But I remember it very well.

Veerstryngh Thynner
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Local AM radio station. They hadn't any preferences at all. My mom had a vinyl box set with music from the musical "My fair Lady" but never listened to it.

My elder brother and I were the only music enthusiasts in our family. My brother had some cool vinyl singles from the Beatles, Kinks, Donovan and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky Mick and Tich because that was exactly "his" time.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Mirelle Mathieu, Nana Mouskouri. Full blast at times :)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Some fascinating tales here :D
Incidentally, although my parents had no interest in music, they did very much like the radio comedies from those times. When we went out on weekends we had one of those portable valve radios and mum was in charge of that while dad was driving.
Round the Horn, The Navy Lark, and The Goon Show (before it moved over to TV) were probably responsible for my somewhat off-the-wall sense of humour.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

Can't remember. They were not much musical. Just putting up the radio. I think they had 20 vinyls and never saw one playing :).
Totally different then me, +-3000 vinyls, synths etc :).
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

Neither of my parents made music much of a priority, but there was a nice Heathkit stereo, that my father built, and a modest record collection, mostly from my mother. The vinyl consisted of show tunes (I remember Camelot, My Fair Lady, and Annie Get Your Gun being in heavy rotation) and popular folk music (the Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, Joan Baez). Interestingly there was also a copy of Switched on Bach in there.

Out in the garage work on various automotive and other projects was accompanied by a radio tuned to the oldies station, and in retrospect it was a good one. Lots of Motown, which remains some of my favorite music to this day and is probably a subconscious reason that I play the bass guitar.

There was a small case of cassettes that lived in the van we only used for long car trips, and in there were a couple Beach Boys best of compilations. That was always a favorite of mine and remains important music to me.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
Wafol

Post by Wafol »

My parents listen to very different music, so I grew up with a variety of music at home. For example when we drive to our real estate in Cannes here from Italy my father loves to listen to AC/DC and my Mom when cooking loves to listen to Elvis Presley.
Last edited by Wafol on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

A bit of everything, my father has a very diverse taste but his favorite genre is the blues! I kind of stayed away from it in my teen days just to rebel and stuff but I came back to it after I switched from electric to steel-stringed guitar, and my new guitar heroes became Elizabeth Cotten, Rev. Gary Davis, Blind Willie McTell...

Listening to a lot of rock gives you the impression that blues is going up and down the same pentatonic scales, when in reality that's not what the blues is about!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Sophia15
Established Member

Post by Sophia15 »

my parents preference:

Porcupine Tree album ‘IN Absentia’,
cd Tangerine Dream ‘In Search of Hades’, a box of 16 cds and 2 blue rays covering the years73-’79.
A few months ago they bought Banco "transiberiana". Their last retirement release; Been in it for 50 years.
They downloads of Italian music;
:)
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

In the car: Charlie sodding Pride's album "On the road again." And again. And again. And again...
Oddly enough, there's not much country music that I'm willing to listen to.

At home: mostly talkback radio, because one of my parents needed the sound of somebody talking due to a deep-seated fear of silence and stillness. Leads to introspection, or something.
A little bit of actual music radio made it in there sometimes, though, so I got to hear Kiss, the Rolling Stones, and the like. And Bob Welch - "Ebony eyes" is the song that grabbed me by the ears and made me think, "I want to make that sound!"

I mention the Stones because my other formative moment from AM radio was hearing (I think) "Start me up" and puzzling over how they got such a powerful sound with clean guitars.

Weirdly, they did have a creditable record collection, and Dad went to considerable lengths to get a really nice hi-fi system. But just how Rod Stewart's "Footloose and fancy free" made it in there, I have no idea. Naturally, that's been in my collection for quite some time now.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
tripomatic
Established Member

Post by tripomatic »

Here it was just the radio that was playing.
there were some vinyl lp's but never saw them played. Don't think they were much interested in music.

Something else then me, with 3000 vinyls, synths, drummachines etc :lol:
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Phil Collins, Roxette, Elvis Presley, pan flute compilations and Turkish pop.

I can see where I got my great taste from. :?