AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by GMaq »

Hi varpa,

If it is still provided in the KX repos for Buster then I will include it, the idea here is not really to remove plugin choices but to add new ones, in the meantime SFizz and SFZero will hopefully be decent choices for new user's not familiar with LS.
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Are there any plans to make the distro UEFI compatible? I would like to set up dual boot on my UEFI system, but I'm not even able to boot the ISO.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

martibs wrote:Are there any plans to make the distro UEFI compatible? I would like to set up dual boot on my UEFI system, but I'm not even able to boot the ISO.
Thats a big issue...

The ISO does have an EFI folder on it so it theoretically should be 'seen' and the '.efi' files loaded.

From User reports It IS UEFI compatible for many systems (and seemingly) not others, for example by following the instructions in the User Manual I can boot and install it in a UEFI enabled Vbox set up and some users in the past reported being able to install on many UEFI equipped systems. My 'newest' system here is 11 years old now and I have no hardware UEFI equipped computers to set up on. The information I get from people is understandably "installed fine!" or "Can't boot!" which doesn't really indicate where to start looking at the problem..

Are there any options in your system setup utility to relax or circumvent Secure Boot before booting the ISO?
martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

Secure boot is disabled on my system.

There is an option to run the UEFI in legacy BIOS mode, however, I'm hestitant to try that, as I'm not sure what the implications are.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi martibs,

I do understand you hesitating to do this and I certainly would not encourage you to act against your reservations. I would point out that there is absolutely no risk to your system by booting AV Linux if that is your concern. On the other hand as someone without a computer with the ability to switch UEFI on and off I honestly don't know if there is a risk of messing up your existing boot configuration by switching back and forth between boot modes..

Can anyone else reading comment on what switching between UEFI and BIOS boot modes entails?
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

I hope AVLinux still will include linuxsampler since that is still needed for Gigasampler files.
I understand the need: I have a couple of Gig-only instruments. OTOH, all the ones I use
except for the FlameStudios ones are easily replaced by the utterly awesome Pianoteq
instruments: I'm astonished by how lovely their supported instruments are, both in the
standalone player and in the LV2 plugin.

The UX for using LinxuSampler in a DAW is pretty much unacceptable for anybody not
desperate: having to run QSampler to configure the plugin instance is a horrible choice
(and may the Deity forbid one might have multiple tracks using LS!!)
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
GordonS
Established Member

Post by GordonS »

This is regarding supported hardware and is off topic here really, but I should post somewhere.

I use AVLinux with a touch-screen and a SoundCraft Ui24R and the combination all seems to work pretty flawlesly, subject too the screen being only single-touch.

The Ui24R works beautifully as a mixer for live work and also includes raw recording to USB drive (and possibly to a DAW, I think), so that I can record performances and then later mix-down using Mixbus. It works as a generic USB audio device, so just drops neatly into AVL via Jack, so I can also use it as a soundcard

I've been delighted with the whole setup.

Gordon.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

GordonS wrote:This is regarding supported hardware and is off topic here really, but I should post somewhere.

I use AVLinux with a touch-screen and a SoundCraft Ui24R and the combination all seems to work pretty flawlesly, subject too the screen being only single-touch.

The Ui24R works beautifully as a mixer for live work and also includes raw recording to USB drive (and possibly to a DAW, I think), so that I can record performances and then later mix-down using Mixbus. It works as a generic USB audio device, so just drops neatly into AVL via Jack, so I can also use it as a soundcard

I've been delighted with the whole setup.

Gordon.
Hi Gordon!

Nice to hear from you, glad you've got a setup that is working well. Can you tell me what the make and model of screen you're using is? I don't know of anyone using AVL in this way.

Thanks, Glen
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

I tried to find linvst.so to convert mtpowerdrumkit 2 vst and make it work in Ardour, but I couldn't find it. I used catfile search but no luck there too. Is it absent from this RC?

Thanks a bunch

Att.: Rodney
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote:Dear Glenn,

I tried to find linvst.so to convert mtpowerdrumkit 2 vst and make it work in Ardour, but I couldn't find it. I used catfile search but no luck there too. Is it absent from this RC?

Thanks a bunch

Att.: Rodney
Yes it's there in /usr/local/lib/vst, that's where the Windows VST's are placed as well as linvst.so, all LinuxVST's are in /usr/lib/vst..

I had mtpowerdrumkit working on one computer here for testing so it should work..
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

Hey Glen,

I am always satisfied to see your project back in action, now based on the latest Debian stable.
I have a question (report) about the custom installer. In the previous versions, i remember an issue, that in order to install AVLinux on my PC, a mandatory swap partition has to be created. My current hardware is 32GB of RAM and all SSD drives. Currently i am having 3 Linux distributions installed, and a place for a forth one. And none of those OS's use Swap. The partition table of all my SSD drives is GPT, but I am not using UEFI to boot my current OS's. I am using BIOS Boot partition instead. Anything else i can manage.
At least i wish to appreciate the current status of AVLinux, and maybe do a manual test of the system in its current state, and how my hardware handles it. This itch, coming from me finally being a professional system administrator, might eventually evolve into a musical inspiration

Thanks and best regards from your old pal Totalchaos
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

thetotalchaos wrote:Hey Glen,

I am always satisfied to see your project back in action, now based on the latest Debian stable.
I have a question (report) about the custom installer. In the previous versions, i remember an issue, that in order to install AVLinux on my PC, a mandatory swap partition has to be created. My current hardware is 32GB of RAM and all SSD drives. Currently i am having 3 Linux distributions installed, and a place for a forth one. And none of those OS's use Swap. The partition table of all my SSD drives is GPT, but I am not using UEFI to boot my current OS's. I am using BIOS Boot partition instead. Anything else i can manage.
At least i wish to appreciate the current status of AVLinux, and maybe do a manual test of the system in its current state, and how my hardware handles it. This itch, coming from me finally being a professional system administrator, might eventually evolve into a musical inspiration

Thanks and best regards from your old pal Totalchaos
Hi @thetotalchaos!

Remastersys used to require a swap, I don't think that Systemback (the current ISO copy and install utility) requires a swap. However I can confirm from testing (more on that in my next post) that gpt partition installs do work with UEFI but I don't know if you can install without UEFI to a gpt partition. Almost all of my testing has been the opposite... those wanting to install to gpt partitions with UEFI. Installation is covered in depth in the User Manual.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK some more UEFI research from my own experience..

This week I finally upgraded my main desktop (aka The AV Linux Mama) which was about 11 years old with a recent Gigabyte X399 AORUS Pro mobo and a Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX 24 core 48 thread processor.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: OK enough about that, just excited is all..

Obviously this isn't a bleeding edge system but it is about as current as I'd feel safe with Linux, it's 2018 technology.. I finished the build, popped an AVL Live USB into a USB port and made no changes to the Gigabyte UEFI/BIOS utility. I FULLY expected to get stopped in my tracks and have a UEFI-related boot failure but the computer picked up the EFI folder on the USB Live ISO and booted into the AV Linux LIve session with no problems.. I then thought OK well that works but there is no damn way it will install and boot on a UEFI system this new. This system has all new drives so I formatted the SSD boot drive partition table to GPT and then followed the UEFI install instructions from the user manual to the letter and it installed and booted with no problems at all.

I can conclude now from testing on both Virtualized and Hardware UEFI systems that AV Linux will boot live and install at least on these 2 UEFI systems without any BIOS modifications.. For those that are having problems it may require making changes in your UEFI/BIOS utilities, it is difficult for me to make any other changes to AV Linux itself especially when it seems to work as expected for myself and other users.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

I am currently downloading the latest ISO and i will try to install it. A GRUB from Archlinux starts all installed operating systems. Hopefully that will be an advantage. Later i will modify this post, to include the results and my conclusions of what have happened. Catch you later GMaq.!

to be continued...

thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

I've got good news,

I successfully install AVLinux on a GPT partition table for BIOS Boot, and without Swap. But there is a catch. The Archlinux Grub bootloader, boot my 4 operating systems, including AVLinux. Interestingly the AVLinux installer named the AVLinux partition SB@. Everything seems to work fine. Here are all my steps, that lead to success:
# by default, you need to have a small 200MB BIOS BOOT partition, at the beginning of your hard drive
# boot the USB drive into install mode directly
# format my partition of choice as EXT4 and then choose for GRUB to be installed on the same partition
# rebooted into Archlinux, mounted all partitions with operating system on them, and then tell GRUB to update itself

Keep up the good work, with vision and motivation from within you GMaq
Best regards, Totalchaos