How to get phantom power input from Tascam US-4x4

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

TheVybe
Established Member

How to get phantom power input from Tascam US-4x4

Post by TheVybe »

I have the Tascam 4x4 and I don't have issues getting audio out to my monitors. What I am having issues with is getting mic input through the phantom power. I am using ubuntu 19.10 with Jackctl. I also have the pulseaudio jack control setup. I've been using that setup for a few years and I know that configuration is fine as I was using a roland interface previously. I am thinking this could be driver/firmware related. The Linux hardware support wiki (https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/hardwa ... _compliant) has this interface as confirmed compatible but it's not quite specific as to what features are compatible. Does anyone have suggestions? I am wondering now this may not support input.

Here's the troubleshooting I tried:
- Different XLR cable; still no go
- Different mic; still no go
- Verified I can get audio out
- Verified that my interface is seen; both for output and for input through ALSA and the pulseaudio software interface

Any confirmed interfaces within the community that supports phantom power input on Ubuntu?
puleglot
Established Member

Re: How to get phantom power input from Tascam US-4x4

Post by puleglot »

I'm sorry, but it's not clear from your post what you mean exactly:
1. the interface doesn't supply phantom power?
2. no input at all (even from the sources that doesn't require phantom power)?
TheVybe
Established Member

Post by TheVybe »

puleglot wrote:I'm sorry, but it's not clear from your post what you mean exactly:
The interface has phantom power. I dont have any other input device to test. I did try testing other mic. My midi keyboard goes directly through my laptop and does not need the interface. All I am trying to do is use my mic. Any recommendations on interfaces that for sure support mic input using phantom power for use on Ubuntu with jack.

The mic I have is Tascam TM-280. The interface is Tascam US-4x4.
TheVybe
Established Member

Post by TheVybe »

puleglot wrote:I'm sorry, but it's not clear from your post what you mean exactly:
One thing that I didn't test was the jack plug. I just ordered new jack just in case that's the issue. I also tried my original interface which apparently also has phantom power and I didn't get input from that either. I can get output from the interface just fine.
TheVybe
Established Member

Post by TheVybe »

bitsnpcs wrote:
TheVybe wrote:Any recommendations on interfaces that for sure support mic input using phantom power for use on Ubuntu with jack.
Hello,

Mackie ProFX 4 v2 Mixer, works with Ubuntu, and it has Phantom Power for mics of XLR connection ports on mixer, you depress the #22 button as per the manufacturer diagram of device (it also says Phantom power below the button on the actual device). If using the Phantom power it affects all of the channels mic inputs. So you could not use mics with Phantom and others without Phantom power is how I read it to mean but I not positive on that.

I am not sure if the mixer works with the software named jack as I have not used it and don't know anything about it at this time. Hopefully someone else has tried it with jack software and can answer this part for you.
The mixer works with Audacity on Ubuntu (I use it that way).
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check it out.
TheVybe
Established Member

Post by TheVybe »

I figured out my issue. The issue is the power for the mic for this interface is supplied using the XLR connection and not the jack. Additionally I needed to tweak the input device on my qjackctl config. After that it works as expected.
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

TheVybe wrote:I figured out my issue. The issue is the power for the mic for this interface is supplied using the XLR connection and not the jack. Additionally I needed to tweak the input device on my qjackctl config. After that it works as expected.
That should be the case with any audio equipment, phantom power is provided on xlr connections only.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.