What about an editorial?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

autostatic
Established Member

What about an editorial?

Post by autostatic »

Dear all,

I was just talking to one of the admins of linuxmao.org (a French site dedicated to making music with Linux) and they publish an editorial every month with all news, updates etc. of the month before. Is it an idea to do a similar editorial over here on LinuxMusicians.com? If so, what would be the best place, the forum or the wiki? There's simply a lot happening and maybe it's a good idea to keep track of that with the help of editorials. What are your thoughts?

Best,

Jeremy
autostatic
Established Member

Re: What about an editorial?

Post by autostatic »

Silence is golden? If so I'll start an editorial from the beginning of next month and put it up on the Wiki.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Don't lose heart Auto.
The Internet is dreadfully quiet of late, no idea why either? I think a lot of people would be interested in this, me included but at the moment I wouldn't spend hours over it you might end up hitting your head against a wall. :(
AutoStatic wrote:Silence is golden? If so I'll start an editorial from the beginning of next month and put it up on the Wiki.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

A 'LinuxMusicians Monthly Round-Up' would be interesting for sure.

Because it would be mainly about 'current events', it would make sense to put it on some blog instead of the wiki, and have it come up at http://planet.linuxmusicians.org , too.
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

IMHO, the wiki is probably not the very best place for it--love the idea though. You could start your own blog, and I'm sure we could add it to the planet. Or, you could post in the forums.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll see what I can do blogwise.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

You should translate their editorial into enlgish and then say it's yours! :) Just kidding.

-Matt :D

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

MattKingUSA wrote:You should translate their editorial into enlgish and then say it's yours! :) Just kidding.
Why not? Their editorials are awesome and they wouldn't mind if I would translate them and mention who the original author is. But personally, I think translating would cost me more time than writing something myself.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

AutoStatic wrote:
MattKingUSA wrote:You should translate their editorial into enlgish and then say it's yours! :) Just kidding.
Why not? Their editorials are awesome and they wouldn't mind if I would translate them and mention who the original author is. But personally, I think translating would cost me more time than writing something myself.
Yes, no doubt.

-Matt :D

pianolivier

Post by pianolivier »

Hi all !

I am the french bastard responsible for the current editorial on linuxMAO.org.
As Chipfryer said, that work is mainly about hitting your head against the wall, so the best thing to do in such situation is to do it with other people simultaneously, so the wall seems softer, and you feel less of an idiot. :wink:
Therefore I advise you to adopt the wiki way instead of relying on poor AutoStatic who will soon turn crazy because of his multiple involvements on every website about computer-music his way crosses.

You are welcome to copy our stuff, as long as you make it clear it comes from us, as everything is licensed under CC-BY-SA (MattKingUSA, i'll be watching you ! :P )
But this would be kind of stupid, our editorial is mainly allready a translation from LAA posts and other changelogs in english.
A better thing to do would be to copy the list of new releases, and also do research on your side, so we could exchange informations before publication.

anyway, do as you wish, I am happy you like the idee, it's a great one.

keep up the good work here !

oliver
pianolivier

Post by pianolivier »

one more thing :

I know you don't want to link us because we speak like frogs, but I made a point having the editorials being usable for english speaking readers.
You can visit it, skip the first blah-blah and jump directly to the list of new releases.
It it sorted by date, and each software release detail contain a link to the original announce or changelog in your language.

have a look on the last one : http://www.linuxmao.org/tikiwiki/tiki-r ... icleId=208
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I've set up a blog and hopefully I can draw up an editorial before the end of the month: http://146.50.71.8/linuxmusicians/index.php

Would it be possible to have blog.linuxmusicians.com point to this blog by the time I might have an editorial ready? Thanks!

Best,

Jeremy
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Why don't we just add the feed to the planet?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hi Nathan, that would be cool too. I'll contact raboof whenever I have something ready (he's the Planet feed guy right?).

Jeremy
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Raboof's the Planet Guy :)