AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

A Release Candidate for the next AV Linux 2020 has been uploaded for feedback. This is more about making sure what is there is all working than adding programs and new features at this point. Time and feedback are appreciated!

Changelog from AV Linux 2019.4.10:

- Move base distribution to Debian 10 "buster"
- Newer Custom RT Kernels (currently at 5.0.6 but newer kernel will be in final release) - Thanks Trulan Martin!
- Synced with new KXStudio Repos - Thanks falkTX!
- New Debian 10 Repo for Cinelerra-GG added - Thanks GG and Phyllis!
- Added flatpak support
- Latest LinVST 2.8 with Wine Staging 4.7 all preconfigured and working on the LiveDVD/USB
- Updates to most included applications and plugins
- Many new and added plugins: Airwindows,"B" Plugins (B-shapr etc.), latest Noise-Repellant, Ninjas2, Sitala
- Fresh GIT pull of Numix theme

Known limitations or bugs:

- Systemback is still being used for ISO creation and as an installer. New UEFI computers may or may not work
(my test hardware all predates UEFI)
- The User Manual (found in the Accessories Menu) has not been updated from 2019.4.10 yet
- This ISO does not contain Harrison Mixbus to save space, Mixbus will return on the final release
- All KDE apps and support libs are removed to also save space.. Kdenlive and K3B are not included at this time (Cin-GG is a VERY capable NLE now)
- Gdebi Package Installer seems to be broken...? install outside packages with dpkg -i for now

Suggestions for Use:

- INSTALLATION IS AT YOUR OWN RISK, MAKE SURE YOUR DATA IS SAFE AND BACKED UP!
- Installation is not at all mandatory, simply testing with Unetbootin created Live Media is also very helpful!
- If you do install follow the instructions in the User Manual (found in Accessories menu) UEFI info and feedback is helpful
- Please limit feedback at this point to testing plugins (in the included Ardour) and running/using included applications

Download:

ISO: http://download.linuxaudio.org/avlinux/ ... 14-RC1.iso
MD5: http://download.linuxaudio.org/avlinux/ ... 14-RC1.md5
SHA256: http://download.linuxaudio.org/avlinux/ ... RC1.sha256
Login: Username: isotester Password: avl64

Happy 2020 to all my fellow LM's! Looking forward to sharing a final release of AVL 2020 soon! My sincere thanks to any and all who can provide testing feedback, your time is very much appreciated!

Glen
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
varpa
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by varpa »

Thanks for keeping up the good work. However the ISO link gives "403 Forbidden" error.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by GMaq »

varpa wrote:Thanks for keeping up the good work. However the ISO link gives "403 Forbidden" error.
Hi varpa!

Thanks for the heads-up! Its fixed now thanks to Jeremy!
gennargiu
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2020.1.14 Release Candidate for testing only

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Glenn,many thanks for a new rc1 av linux 2020... I have a download new iso and for the moment i testing it in virtual box on mx linux 19. :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Thanks for all the hard work you continue to put in, Glen. AV Linux was a real boon to me when I first moved from Windows. Happy 2020 to you and yours!
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

hi Glenn, i tried to install the rc1 of av linux 2020 in virtual box, but only live mode works. If you use the permanent installation mode with systemback, the installation is successful, but when you reboot you are redirected to the initial screen to decide the installation mode, as if it cannot keep the permanent choice despite having used this choice during installation. :wink:

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

gennargiu wrote:hi Glenn, i tried to install the rc1 of av linux 2020 in virtual box, but only live mode works. If you use the permanent installation mode with systemback, the installation is successful, but when you reboot you are redirected to the initial screen to decide the installation mode, as if it cannot keep the permanent choice despite having used this choice during installation. :wink:

gennaro
Hello Gennaro!

Thank you for taking time to test. I have tested installation in Virtualbox 6.0.6 and it is working here for me. After you install in Virtualbox you have to make sure you remove the AV Linux ISO from the Virtual CD drive otherwise it will continue to try and boot from the Live ISO.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

magicalex wrote:Thanks for all the hard work you continue to put in, Glen. AV Linux was a real boon to me when I first moved from Windows. Happy 2020 to you and yours!
Thanks! And same to you! :D
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I tried 2020.1.14 in my old LenovaW530 laptop, worked well with my KompleteAudio6 USB audio interface. I played a few synths with my keyboard. The only problem I found was that ZynAddSubFx did not work (all varieties). Tried to boot my new Dell XPS 9560, UEFI system, but could not get that to work.
Looking forward to the final release which I'll put on the Lenova.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi varpa,

Nice to speak with you again! :D

I will look into the ZynAdd issue, those packages have their origin from the KX repos so I wonder if anyone else running the KX ZynAdd packages on Debian buster is seeing the same issues..? As far as UEFI I don't know what the magic formula for all computers is, I have a Virtualbox UEFI VM here that installs work on but hardware machines seem to vary with what works and what doesn't. I hope to upgrade my main tower soon so I hope I won't be locked out from installing my own OS by a brand new computer.. :lol:

Will look into ZynAdd and keep tweaking away on this next release

Thanks for your time!
Glen
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Awesome! I've been eagerly waiting for this new release, trying out now. Thanks a bunch Glenn!
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Glenn, now av linux rc1 2020 work good in virtual box......great works from you for it :D

gennaro

I have a testing clementine player and youtube, it a all ok. Glenn if possible insert a various a new wallpaper for av linux 2020 :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Gennaro,

Thank you for taking time to test! Haha the wallpaper is not a big priority but I may look into it later before the next release.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

I´ve tested and I have to say, this is the best AVLinux ever! I didn´t have any problems whatsoever installing it, everything went smoothly and the system is super fast now! Big thumps up for both you and Trulan! God you guys make true wonders with this OS. Love it! I wasn´t able to use The Emissary plugin and the command "update-grub" is not found by the system. I added the -mitigations=off to it. And I couldn´t install any .deb package manually. Besides that, everything else is working just fine :D

Congratulations for one more fantastic release of AVLInux!

Can´t praise it enough, thanks a bunch! Looking forward to the final release :twisted:

Att.: Rodney
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Looking great.