MusE 3.1pre3

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: MusE 3.1pre3

Post by Tim E. Real »

A wee technical note might clear up any possible confusion.

*.map files are MusE's older way of doing drum maps. They only provide one list for all patches.

Then Florian added the more sophisticated drum maps which can provide a list for each patch.
These maps are built in to each instrument definition. They do not come as separate map files - the instrument definition file is the file.

The two map methods are incompatible with each other. But we support both.
That is why you see two somewhat different mechanisms for drum maps.

In the drum editor (right-click the list) you see the ability to provide note names for each patch,
and even 'promote' various fields, rows, or columns to be the default for all patches.
That's Florian's newer drum maps at work. Plus my rework of the drum editor and instruments,
with all that slanted and highlighted text and 'promotions' and so on.
kybos
Established Member

Post by kybos »

Should not the MusE web be updated with the info about the new pre-release?
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Yes.. we're having a wee trouble accessing the front page at the moment.. The news page in the wiki is updated, for what it's worth..
MusE DAW
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Thanks a lot for the new version! Will try it out over xmas!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

Some remarks about Shortkeys mapping.

Transport: Play, stop, rewind. On stop the current position is not kept. The cursor goes back to the beginning of the track.
Transport: Restart recording. I would prefer a Start recording, with a single key the recording starts for the current track.
Transport: Go to the end (of the track) is missing.
Transport: On Stop play, the current position is not kept. The cursor goes back to the beginning of the track.
Transport: Start play at the current position. It works with /, by example, but not with Enter on the numeric pad.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi saturning51,

This is in relation to this bug, right?
https://github.com/muse-sequencer/muse/issues/680

First off, are you testing on 3.1pre3? The fixes were done after it was released so you need to test the fixes on the master.
Also there was an additional problem with some keyboard keys that did not get fully resolved until recently. If you test on what is in master now would be best.
saturnin51 wrote:Some remarks about Shortkeys mapping.

Transport: Play, stop, rewind. On stop the current position is not kept. The cursor goes back to the beginning of the track.
This is now a setting in the Settings menu, maybe I changed it so the default is to go back to the original starting position.
Try unchecking the menu alternative: Rewind on Stop
saturnin51 wrote: Transport: Restart recording. I would prefer a Start recording, with a single key the recording starts for the current track.
Okay, how would it work regarding ARMing tracks? Automatically arm the currently selected track and start recording immediately? I guess it can be done..
saturnin51 wrote: Transport: Go to the end (of the track) is missing.
I added a shortcut for going to the end of the song (as listed in the Len toolbox item), do you want it specifically to go to the end of the final part of the current track?
saturnin51 wrote: Transport: On Stop play, the current position is not kept. The cursor goes back to the beginning of the track.
Same as the first or am I missing some vital difference?
saturnin51 wrote: Transport: Start play at the current position. It works with /, by example, but not with Enter on the numeric pad.
This was an issue but is fixed in the current master.
MusE DAW
saturnin51
Established Member

Post by saturnin51 »

OK I'll download again the op3 version and redo my tests.
Okay, how would it work regarding ARMing tracks? Automatically arm the currently selected track and start recording immediately? I guess it can be done..

Yes.
I added a shortcut for going to the end of the song (as listed in the Len toolbox item), do you want it specifically to go to the end of the final part of the current track?
I would say at the end of the final part.
Same as the first or am I missing some vital difference?
No at all.