Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Kontakt player decided to stop working on me...

Post by ubuntuuser »

MachinaeWolf wrote:Ok so the one in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/syswow64 is 24552 bytes but the one in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 is 24344 bytes.
That's right, I posted them the other way around (my 64/32 mistake).

So, you have api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0 overridden and you get an unimplemented function error.

What happens when you just install Kontakt 6 from the start.

On my system I don't get an overridden api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0 until I install winetricks vcrun2017, and Kontakt 6 uses the default inbuilt api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0 unless I install winetricks vcrun2017.

On my system Kontakt 6 is ok with the Wine default and the overridden api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0
MachinaeWolf
Established Member

Post by MachinaeWolf »

Ok so I made a new prefix to test it and it looked like kontakt player wanted to load and didn't throw that dll error. Now the issue is native access won't work right and it won't authorize kontakt player without native access working properly. I installed native access and tried to run it but it gave me these errors

Code: Select all

002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Widgets.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Quick.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Qml.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Network.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Gui.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Core.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found
002a:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe" failed, status c0000135
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

It looks like you have a Native Access install error.

Native Access uses QT5 which should have been installed and setup by the Native Access Install.

002a:err:module:import_dll Library Qt5Widgets.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Native Instruments\\Native Access\\Native Access.exe") not found

btw, sometimes having too many overrides can lead to problems.

I installed some of your overrides to see what they did and Kontakt stopped working properly on my system.
MachinaeWolf
Established Member

Post by MachinaeWolf »

Backed up the old wine prefix, nuked it (rm -rf ~/.wine/), then installed again without any winetricks, and it gave me the same errors.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

MachinaeWolf wrote:Backed up the old wine prefix, nuked it (rm -rf ~/.wine/), then installed again without any winetricks, and it gave me the same errors.
Strange.

I can get it running with Debian 10 and a 5.3 Liquorix kernel and Wine Staging 4.18.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Hey. I'm not sure if this info is of any use to you because we may be experiencing separate problems here. But I did say I'd update you on any progress I made with my issue so here it is. Just check the update at the top of my opening post, or just look at my current latest post in the thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=20541
MachinaeWolf
Established Member

Post by MachinaeWolf »

Well linvst just makes a .so link with the .dll file and uses wine so I don't think lutris would be of help to this issue. So maybe I tried to install them in the wrong order... I installed native access by itself in a fresh wine prefix and it loaded up without the QT5 issues. Now the problem is it just hangs on the login, I enter my info and wait for it to login but it never completes the login

0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1AC90 1 C) semi-stub
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B070 1 C) semi-stub
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B150 1 C) semi-stub
002f:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0000000000229E20
002f:fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB unsupported 2008 WGL Attribute
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B2F0 1 C) semi-stub
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B6D0 1 C) semi-stub
002f:fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 98000010 (device=9800 access=0 func=4 method=0)
002f:fixme:winsock:server_ioctl_sock Unsupported ioctl 98000010 (device=9800 access=0 func=4 method=0)
002f:fixme:winsock:WSAIoctl unsupported WS_IOCTL cmd (_WSAIOW(IOC_VENDOR, 16))
002f:fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 98000010 (device=9800 access=0 func=4 method=0)
002f:fixme:winsock:server_ioctl_sock Unsupported ioctl 98000010 (device=9800 access=0 func=4 method=0)
003f:fixme:secur32:schannel_get_cipher_algid unknown algorithm 23
003f:fixme:secur32:schannel_get_mac_algid unknown algorithm 200, cipher 23
003f:fixme:cryptnet:verify_cert_revocation_from_aia_ext OCSP URL = L"http://ocsp.int-x3.letsencrypt.org"
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82228451) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x803186f1) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x803c31c1) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x803b6341) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x80079351) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x802e2fc1) stub
002f:fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafeaffe), STUB!
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

MachinaeWolf wrote:Well linvst just makes a .so link with the .dll file and uses wine so I don't think lutris would be of help to this issue. So maybe I tried to install them in the wrong order... I installed native access by itself in a fresh wine prefix and it loaded up without the QT5 issues. Now the problem is it just hangs on the login, I enter my info and wait for it to login but it never completes the login

0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1AC90 1 C) semi-stub
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B070 1 C) semi-stub
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B150 1 C) semi-stub
002f:fixme:dwmapi:DwmIsCompositionEnabled 0000000000229E20
002f:fixme:wgl:X11DRV_wglGetPixelFormatAttribivARB unsupported 2008 WGL Attribute
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B2F0 1 C) semi-stub
0040:fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0000000002B1B6D0 1 C) semi-stub
003f:fixme:secur32:schannel_get_cipher_algid unknown algorithm 23
003f:fixme:secur32:schannel_get_mac_algid unknown algorithm 200, cipher 23
003f:fixme:cryptnet:verify_cert_revocation_from_aia_ext OCSP URL = L"http://ocsp.int-x3.letsencrypt.org"
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x82228451) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x803186f1) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x803c31c1) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x803b6341) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x80079351) stub
002f:fixme:font:RemoveFontMemResourceEx (0x802e2fc1) stub
002f:fixme:win:UnregisterDeviceNotification (handle=0xcafeaffe), STUB!
What about the standalone Kontakt, does it do the same?

If it can't connect then it's probably a crypt or connection library problem of some type, winbind etc

Another thing about Kontakt is that on slower systems it's probably best to run winecfg first so that the Wine libraries get pre loaded, as Kontakt does quite a bit on startup and it likes Wine libraries to be pre loaded and ready to go otherwise it can crash (it won't matter that much for faster systems).
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ubuntuuser wrote: Another thing about Kontakt is that on slower systems it's probably best to run winecfg first so that the Wine libraries get pre loaded, as Kontakt does quite a bit on startup and it likes Wine libraries to be pre loaded and ready to go otherwise it can crash (it won't matter that much for faster systems).
Can this also be helpful for other VSTs ? How is winecfg being run, any parameters ?

Thanks.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote: Another thing about Kontakt is that on slower systems it's probably best to run winecfg first so that the Wine libraries get pre loaded, as Kontakt does quite a bit on startup and it likes Wine libraries to be pre loaded and ready to go otherwise it can crash (it won't matter that much for faster systems).
Can this also be helpful for other VSTs ? How is winecfg being run, any parameters ?

Thanks.
Just winecfg from the terminal.

It's mainly helpful for slower hard disks because Wine can take a while to load it's libraries etc off the disk which can throw a plugins startup routine off.
MachinaeWolf
Established Member

Post by MachinaeWolf »

For winecfg all I had set was windows 10. Installed kontakt player and it looked like it was opening right and clicking the register button opened up native access properly but it never completes the login. When I closed kontakt player's editor it instantly crashed

Renoise LOG> VstWindow: Closing the Editor...
Renoise LOG> VstWindow: Editor was closed
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  40 (X_TranslateCoords)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x400319
  Serial number of failed request:  1042
  Current serial number in output stream:  1042
MachinaeWolf
Established Member

Post by MachinaeWolf »

I don't know if it's related but I'd also tried cableguys shaperbox demo in its own prefix and it loaded up fine but when I closed the editor it instantly crashes.
MachinaeWolf
Established Member

Post by MachinaeWolf »

I have a theory it could still be systemd or something preventing it from working right. I recently learned systemd affected a controller being properly detected by the games on steam while steam itself sees the controller just fine. So what version of lib32-systemd, systemd, systemd-libs, and systemd-sysvcompat or equivalent do you have installed if everything is working for you?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ubuntuuser wrote:
jonetsu wrote:

Thanks.

It's mainly helpful for slower hard disks because Wine can take a while to load it's libraries etc off the disk which can throw a plugins startup routine off.
I tried it, and it will bring a dialog box with several options, and 'Windows 7' selected. At that point, do you select any options or is 'OK' simply clicked ? Are there any options in there that can benefit linvst ?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote:
jonetsu wrote:

Thanks.

I tried it, and it will bring a dialog box with several options, and 'Windows 7' selected. At that point, do you select any options or is 'OK' simply clicked ? Are there any options in there that can benefit linvst ?

just choose ok.

The main point of it is that winecfg loads a lot of things off the disk and then any accesses to Wine after that will be speeded up.

The first time a Wine app is run after a boot, Wine needs to load a lot of libraries and that can take time with slower hard disks and can interfere with some vst timing startups when used with LinVst or whatever and I've had Kontakt and other vst crash because of it on some of my older testing systems with slow hard disks.

So just use winecfg to preload the Wine libraries but it's only needed on slow hard disk systems.

The Libraries tab in winecfg is where dll overrides are entered.

If a vst needs a dll override (the vst crashes because of an unimplemented Wine dll function (start the daw from the Terminal and look at the output for any Wine unimplemented function dll errors and take note of that dll)) then get the real windows dll and put it in the winprefixes system32 (64 bit) or syswow64 (32 bit) folders and then enter the dll's name in the winecfg Libraries tab and choose native then builtin.

Some daws don't display Wine info when they are started from a terminal but Reaper does, so even if someone doesn't use Reaper it can still be used to obtain Wine error info.

Also, winecfg builds a wineprefix ~/.wine if one doesn't exist.

The wineprefix is basically the windows system that contains the windows and system32 and syswow64 folders and dll's etc.

Sometimes the wineprefix might go a bit weird if something was corrupted or if an install resulted in weird things happening, so what I tend to do is to delete the wineprefix (sudo rm -R ~/.wine) and then run winecfg to build a new wineprefix, but doing this means that things need to be installed again ie vst installs etc