Ripping samples from tracker modules

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

morko
Established Member

Ripping samples from tracker modules

Post by morko »

Hello.

I have hundreds of songs I've made with Impulse Tracker. I'm looking for a way how I can "rip" the samples from the songs easily. Now I use milkytracker to load the module and then I record the sample trough jack to renoise. It's a bit slow process. Does anyone know faster method? Or some way to save the samples to wav.
autostatic
Established Member

Re: Ripping samples from tracker modules

Post by autostatic »

Hello morko, with samples you mean any wav you used as a sample in a XM file? I would be interested too, but at the moment I have no idea how to pull any wav out of a XM file.
morko
Established Member

Post by morko »

Yeah, but my files are IT since I used Impulse Tracker. You can use milkytracker and route its output to some sampler and then play the sample in milkytracker when recording in the sampler, but it is slow.
TraumFlug
Established Member

Post by TraumFlug »

well, why don't you just save the sample directly from milkytracker? I guess you're loosing quality in the playback->resampling->output->capture chain, not beautiful, and you'll need to cut the samps etc...

it'd still be quite some work, but it will give you an 1:1 .wav dump of the sample! I think you can do it by entering the sample editor (smp.ed.), select the sample and hit the "save" button...then a dialog will pop up allowing you to save the sample. can't remember what it looks like, I'm always using the tiny "internal browser", but I think you can save as .wav or .iff.

with the "internal browser" you can speed it up: activate "config->misc->other->internal browser", then hit "disc op.", "type"->"sample",".wav", select the sample you like to save (you can have the "smp.ed." screen open simulaneously for testing), browse to the path you like to save in, enter a filename next to the "save" button, and then hit it.

also, if you wish to let your impulse tracker times "live up" once again (like my ft2 times are living again thanks to milky), you might find the 2 progs "schism tracker" (almost 1:1 copy of i.t.) or "chibitracker" interesting!
morko
Established Member

Post by morko »

Thanks for the tips TraumFlug! I didnt notice there was a save button. heh.. I love schism tracker since it works and looks just like impulse tracker, but I need jack support. :/