linvst stopped working for a lot of plugins

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

linvst stopped working for a lot of plugins

Post by jonetsu »

I'm stumped. No upgrades was done explicitly. I cling to the linvst code as it was found in git around January this year (after putting the patch for Melda plugins). wine-staging was not updated and is still at: wine-4.5 (Staging). The kernel was not updated and is at: 4.15.0-66-lowlatency #75-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT (unless somehow Xubuntu 18.04 has updated it w/o my knowledge ... very unlikely). Bitwig was not updated and is still at 2.4.3.

Most Windows VST do not work anymore. Really stumped. Here's attached a backtrace made by linvst after it shows the error window, One thing in there that I question (and I do not know much about Windows internals) is the presence of:

0000002b LDSvc.exe
["C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\PACE\Services\LicenseServices\LDSvc.exe" -u https://activation.paceap.com/InitiateActivation]

Which is seemingly part of iLok. None of the Windows VST I run, to my knowledge uses iLok. How to get rid of this process, if only as a test ?

I recently have gotten IK Multimedia MODO Bass and it used to load OK before this started happening.

Any hint to get it back working again will be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
backtrace.txt.gz
(2.78 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: linvst stopped working for a lot of plugins

Post by jonetsu »

Reading about this LDSvc.exe :

"It is the service "PaceLicenseDServices". The service services for PACE Licensing Technology.
The program has no visible window. It is not a Windows system file. The application can be uninstalled in the Control Panel. LDSvc.exe is able to manipulate other programs. Therefore the technical security rating is 27% dangerous; however you should also read the user reviews."

Looks like it can be removed using the control panel. Is it possible to access the Windows control panel using wine ?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

Maybe something was installed that is causing it?

Maybe the PACE files can just be deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\PACE\Services\LicenseServices\LDSvc.exe etc

I'm not sure about whether the PACE files can cause problems or not.

There might be PACE references in the registry and PACE driver files in /windows/system32 (syswow64)

windows\system32\drivers\iLokDrvr.sys

The worst case is deleting the wineprefix (/home/user/.wine) and then rebuilding the wineprefix again (by running winecfg) but that means that everything needs to be reinstalled.

The best case is that it's something that got installed and then it's just a case of trying to delete those installed files from the wineprefix.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jonetsu wrote:Looks like it can be removed using the control panel. Is it possible to access the Windows control panel using wine ?

Code: Select all

wine .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/control.exe

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks for the comments. I haven't had the time to check it out yet, but will absolutely do and report back.

Cheers.