Linux music player recommendation

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kott
Established Member

Re: Linux music player recommendation

Post by Kott »

Give a chance to the Jriver, it costs some money, but has full feature trial. And it supports parametric EQ, VST plugins, room correction and IR for convolution https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Convolution https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:DSP

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... 580.0.html

PS supports resampling (and via sox too)
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

merlyn wrote:I've found DeaDBeeF plays back without gaps...
Kott wrote:Give a chance to the Jriver...
Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking I'd DeaDBeeF with Pulse Audio/Jack sink -> Ardour (plugin host) so I can play youtube or spotify through the system as well, but looks like Jriver has all of those capabilities internal to the program, so that is tempting even though there is a cost to it.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

I wonder that no one suggest Mixxx, as the request's for the player here have something of a DJ. (comes with LV2 support)
https://www.mixxx.org/
On the road again.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

supereb wrote:I was thinking I'd DeaDBeeF with Pulse Audio/Jack sink -> Ardour (plugin host)
Why would you use a full blown DAW just to host a couple of plugins? There's Carla for that.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

AlexTheBassist wrote:Why would you use a full blown DAW just to host a couple of plugins? There's Carla for that.
That's a good question. I'm using MX Linux 18. The kxstudio repos require having libc6 >= 2.27 installed, MX 18 repos only go to 2.24, so no Carla. I already had Ardour installed on my laptop, and it is low enough overhead that it doesn't really matter.

I almost (and still might) decided on JRiver Media Center. Using ALSA as the output device would eliminate the need for any resampling. Convolution and EQ as well as VST plugin functionality are internal, plus a nice IOS remote. The downside is although their is a an internal browser which can access YouTube, errors occur when attempting to play videos through the internal DSP, and there is not an input port to the app. Playing YouTube videos was not one of my original requirements, but would be nice to have, to demo music before purchasing, or listening to a few random songs just do not justify an hi-res album purchase. Yes I want it all and very conveniently, but if that is not possible then there are a couple of very workable options.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

supereb wrote: Playing YouTube videos was not one of my original requirements, but would be nice to have, to demo music before purchasing, or listening to a few random songs just do not justify an hi-res album purchase
What sound pressure level do you usually listen your music at? As a musician and recording engineer, I know that most of modern CDs suck a big one because of loudness war, but there's no other point in having a high resolution master besides just that. CD resolution is enough even for really loud playback both in means of bit depth and sample rate.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
supereb
Established Member

Post by supereb »

AlexTheBassist wrote:What sound pressure level do you usually listen your music at?...
We could do just fine with fewer than 16 bits for masters if it weren't for the myth that lower bit depths create larger "stairsteps" in a waveform. The best that a "modern" studio reel to reel could do was the equivalent of 13 bits.

On average, around 76dBA, whether phones or studio monitors. I found this to be very consistent, my volume knob may move depending on the material, but whenever I check SPL, about 76dBA is what I gravitate towards. My interest in Hi-Res music is not because of the resolution, I'd be happy with 44.1kHz/16 for final release. For me, the benefit of Hi-Res music is not the Hi-res, but that often times (not always), the transfer from tape is using better converters than were available than when many classic albums were converted to digital and often more care is put into how compression and EQ are applied to the master. But there are many hi-res offerings that offer no sonic improvement over earlier CD offerings.

As far as YouTube for demoing albums, if I like enough songs on an album, I'll go through the trouble to see whether the hi-res offerings offer any improvement before buying, otherwise I'll just buy a used CD off of ebay for albums that were already mastered well.