Thank-a-developer day

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Thank-a-developer day

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tramp wrote:they have Banjo players in the committee.
It's the only thing that can mask the sheeps' screams.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Whenever I post a new recording I like to link back to the project pages for all of the software I use, including plugins, and include a paragraph or two about how I used open source software in the recording/mixing/mastering process. My little way of giving a boost to the developers by spreading the word.

When I was a starving college student many years ago, posting my tunes on the Open Music Directory (Does anyone remember that fiasco, and the EFF OAL that started it?), some random guy who liked my music sent me a nice email saying how much he liked my tunes and how much he appreciated that they were Free as in speech. He even sent me a small check as a token of his thanks, and it didn't even bounce! This experience really made my day, actually my month, and it really endeared me to the Free music community. It gave me a sense of duty to keep making Free music. It still motivates me, and I still think about it and smile.

I have been planning to make a number of donations to the projects I use heavily, and to do it this December to celebrate the release of my album. But maybe I'll bump the donation date to 01/10. :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Basslint wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:10/10 would be a good date. So binary.
We got the date, but we missed it by a tiny bit. Shall we go for January 10th (01/10 in the US, 10/01 elsewhere)? It's a nice date because if you OR it, it gives 11, but if you AND it, it gives 00. And since free software gives you freedom, it's always OR.
Do we really have to pick a date? Can't it just be "Thank a developer today"?
milo wrote: [...] some random guy who liked my music [...] even sent me a small check as a token of his thanks, and it didn't even bounce! This experience really made my day, actually my month, and it really endeared me to the Free music community. It gave me a sense of duty to keep making Free music. It still motivates me, and I still think about it and smile.

I have been planning to make a number of donations to the projects I use heavily, and to do it this December to celebrate the release of my album. But maybe I'll bump the donation date to 01/10. :)
Can we make a sticky where we list how to donate to certain projects? If I remember correctly I donated a few bucks to LM when it was mentioned in a topic that they need money.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

You can combine a "Thank to developer" day with unofficial (in Russia, official) "Programmer's day" which is 256th day of the year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Programmer
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Can we make a sticky where we list how to donate to certain projects? If I remember correctly I donated a few bucks to LM when it was mentioned in a topic that they need money.
Sure, that's a good idea!

Anyway it's better if we pick a day so that we know that that day is "Thank a developer day", and we have no excuses :lol:
sadko4u wrote:You can combine a "Thank to developer" day with unofficial (in Russia, official) "Programmer's day" which is 256th day of the year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Programmer
Good idea, but since we missed it, I see that in China it's on October 24th, that is, 1024, or 2^10. Can we pick that, so that we can start celebrating it this year?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Dudes and dudettes, we failed pretty hard :lol:

See you next year on 10/10, which is the first date suggested and can be read both ways, unlike the other dates. Thanks everyone for the ideas, insights and culture you shared :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Basslint wrote:Dudes and dudettes, we failed pretty hard :lol:

See you next year on 10/10, which is the first date suggested and can be read both ways, unlike the other dates. Thanks everyone for the ideas, insights and culture you shared :D
Just out of interest, which developer would you have liked to thank? I thanked Rui Nuno Capela.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Just out of interest, which developer would you have liked to thank? I thanked Rui Nuno Capela.
I sometimes thank the developers of the smaller programs, but I rarely thank someone who works on big stuff such as Paul Davis or Mark McCurry, so I take this occasion to do it now.

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Nachei wrote:I kinda picture most of developers as guys who see programming as sort of "solving complex sudokus", something that for some reason, mysterious to me, they enjoy to do, and they do it just for their own gratification
I'm sure there are developers who are wired like this, but perhaps those are less likely to share their work.

For me, a big part of the reason I enjoy writing open source code is because I hope/think it is making the world a better place, even if ever so slightly. Seeing it actually being used and appreciated means a lot, at least to me.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

It seems that the FSF had a similar idea:

https://fsfe.org/campaigns/ilovefs/

I don't think they read this thread, I think not but mission accomplished anyways :D

bluebell
Established Member

Thank-a-bugreporter day

Post by bluebell »

Don't forget the bugreporters :wink:

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Thank-a-bugreporter day

Post by Basslint »

bluebell wrote:Don't forget the bugreporters :wink:
Yeah, they are as important as developers (because once they post a bug, it's out in the open and anybody can fix it) and the best thing is that anybody can be one! We need to think of more ways to get regular people into bug reporting. Usually it's done on sites like Github by people who are developers (or packagers or power users) themselves but the feedback of regular everyday users is the most important of all, in my opinion.

briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I would like to say a big "THANK YOU!" to all of the developers, big and small, who are making audio production with linux an awesome growing reality. FalkTX, rncbc, raboof and so many others... your work has been, is and will always be very much appreciated! My hope is that, through everyone's creative work, things will be "published abroad" even more.

Too often, the gratitude is not shown enough, and so much is taken for granted by many, sometimes myself included! As such, I would most certainly echo the proposal to make this thread a "sticky", since appreciation to developers should be, imho, shown and expressed whenever it's felt. By all of us.

Thank you all!

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Well I come here wearing several hats.
As a user I thank developers of software I use from time to time.
Also, as a struggling developer, I'm extremely grateful to those other developers who help me when I'm out of my depth.
As a sound designer I thank those that promote my instrument patches.
As a musician I thank those who comment on my work, with suggestions, critiques, or just general 'likes'.
Finally, positive vibes from users of the synth really make my day, and on occasion keep me smiling for a whole week.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

A very special thanks to you too, folderol!
Yoshimi is an amazing instrument, an almost impossible act to follow. I wish I had a fraction of the talent that you and the others working on the project have. Maybe in another life..! :) (Time shortage is always a limitation!)
Linux audio wouldn't be the same without you.

Brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com