Thank-a-developer day

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Basslint
Established Member

Thank-a-developer day

Post by Basslint »

Hello,

I think that as users, we often forget the cheapest thing we can do to show appreciation to developers of the free/libre software we use - thank them!

As such, starting from this forum, I propose we choose a date to make this a regular thing, making sure to thank the developers of those niche programs which don't get a lot of recognition.

What do you think about it? Any proposals?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Thank-a-developer day

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Very good idea if you ask me! I'd like to thank Rui Nuno Capela, aka RNCBC for making Qtractor, a sequencer that's so close to a DAW that I consider it to be one. :)
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Great idea.

Maybe either write a sentence or two about why we're thankful and/or post a piece of music where the software was essential.

I like the idea of a special day, but is one day enough? Maybe it should be an ongoing sticky in the developers section.
listenable at c6a7.org
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

ufug wrote:Great idea.

Maybe either write a sentence or two about why we're thankful and/or else post a piece of music where the software was essential.

I like the idea of a special day, but is one day enough? Maybe it should be an ongoing sticky in the developers section.
One day is certainly not enough but it's a good way to get a yearly reminder about it, keeping in mind that the end goal should be to get people to do it more often on their own :D

You know, developers often never even know if someone uses their software to create something. The sticky is a good idea, but not all audio devs are here and maybe receiving a mail out of the blue would be a nice thing, at least that's what I thought :lol:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I'd like to thank myself for putting up with you annoying endusers of my software. If you really want to please developers, then forget about the thanks, and instead buy us some Mountain Dew soda and pizza. Just leave it at the front door, ring the doorbell, and leave. We don't like being forced to interact with animate objects.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: We don't like being forced to interact with animate objects.
Funny, when I first saw this thread that's what came to my mind first.

Of course I feel very grateful for all the great software, but I kinda picture most of developers as guys who see programming as sort of "solving complex sudokus", something that for some reason, mysterious to me, they enjoy to do, and they do it just for their own gratification (and that's also Open Source's Achilles Heel: if a feature is not amusing to implement, it stays unimplemented, because the only "salary" a developer gets out of coding is the fun of the process)...

(In any case, in order not to force any interaction, this object will try to stay not too animate, but will send anonymous good vibes into the universe for all those unknown guys who have improved his life in so many ways... 8) )
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

10/10 would be a good date. So binary.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

@j_e_f_f_g Nobody forces anyone to use or participate in open source programs/operating systems.
There are alternatives. Everybody may take and use what he wants, it also has something to do with his individual inner attitude.

####

I say to all developers (and users): Thanks for the alternative :freedom:!
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:If you really want to please developers, then forget about the thanks, and instead buy us some Mountain Dew soda and pizza. Just leave it at the front door, ring the doorbell, and leave.
No soda and pizza for me please.
Basslint wrote: I propose we choose a date to make this a regular thing, making sure to thank the developers of those niche programs which don't get a lot of recognition.

What do you think about it? Any proposals?
If you would like to thank a developer for the work done, best way to do it, is Spread ze word.
Indeed a lot of nice projects failing below the radar, because no one recognise them.
Open source developers usually comes without a Marketing Department, so spread the word is the most pleasure you can do to a open source developer.
On the road again.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:I'd like to thank myself for putting up with you annoying endusers of my software. If you really want to please developers, then forget about the thanks, and instead buy us some Mountain Dew soda and pizza. Just leave it at the front door, ring the doorbell, and leave. We don't like being forced to interact with animate objects.
I don't know where you live, and you anyway live too far away.

Sorry for extra communication. :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

developers without a Marketing Department
I once entered a contest held by a New Zealand tourism bureau seeking a new advertising slogan. With so many international markets in a slump, I decided to target the budget-savvy traveler with the following submission:

When you can't afford Australia, there's New Zealand.

I didn't win.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

rghvdberg wrote:10/10 would be a good date. So binary.
We got the date, but we missed it by a tiny bit. Shall we go for January 10th (01/10 in the US, 10/01 elsewhere)? It's a nice date because if you OR it, it gives 11, but if you AND it, it gives 00. And since free software gives you freedom, it's always OR.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Nachei wrote:
j_e_f_f_g wrote: We don't like being forced to interact with animate objects.
Funny, when I first saw this thread that's what came to my mind first.

Of course I feel very grateful for all the great software, but I kinda picture most of developers as guys who see programming as sort of "solving complex sudokus", something that for some reason, mysterious to me, they enjoy to do, and they do it just for their own gratification (and that's also Open Source's Achilles Heel: if a feature is not amusing to implement, it stays unimplemented, because the only "salary" a developer gets out of coding is the fun of the process)...

(In any case, in order not to force any interaction, this object will try to stay not too animate, but will send anonymous good vibes into the universe for all those unknown guys who have improved his life in so many ways... 8) )
I think that a "thanks" never hurts, especially because devs who solve puzzles might do it without releasing the code under a free license. It's important to say hey dude, you are changing the world in a positive way. Free software allows a potentially selfish action to become altruistic.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Basslint wrote:We got the date
Just make sure you don't schedule it upon the same day of the month when most developers attend to their personal hygiene.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:I once entered a contest held by a New Zealand tourism bureau seeking a new advertising slogan. With so many international markets in a slump, I decided to target the budget-savvy traveler with the following submission:

When you can't afford Australia, there's New Zealand.

I didn't win.
Huh, I guess you only don't win because they have Banjo players in the committee.
On the road again.