Zrythm 0.7.002

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

alextee
Established Member

Zrythm 0.7.002

Post by alextee »

Zrythm 0.7.002 has been released.

Zrythm is a digital audio workstation designed to be
featureful and easy to use. It allows limitless
automation, supports LV2 plugins, works with the JACK
audio backend, provides chord assistance, is free
software and can be used in English, French,
Portuguese, Japanese and German.

[Highlights since last announcement]
- All timeline events are Regions so they can be looped
- Anywhere to anywhere port connections
- Option to expose any port to JACK
- Export to MIDI or audio in multiple formats
- Track visibility panel
- Ability to move/copy tracks by clicking and dragging
- MIDI buses/groups
- Adaptive grid
- Saving and loading with Auto-Save functionality
- Project templates
- Resize or resize-loop Regions
- Many bugfixes and optimizations
- Drag and drop audio files from any file browser
- Audio/MIDI recording
- Multiple lanes per track with optional MIDI channel
- Most actions are undoable
- Playback latency compensation

Full Changelog:
https://git.zrythm.org/cgit/zrythm/tree/CHANGELOG.md

This latest version of Zrythm is the most stable Zrythm
has ever been, and feature-wise it is usable as a simple
DAW. Our focus at the moment is stability and fixing
bugs, and we are calling for testers to help us identify
those bugs and provide feedback.

The issue tracker can be found below
https://redmine.zrythm.org/projects/zrythm/issues

For screenshots and more info, visit

https://www.zrythm.org/

Interested developers are also welcome to join the
project. Zrythm's basic structure is mostly already
implemented so it is easier than ever to contribute.

Send mail below if you are interested in joining
dev@zrythm.org (developer mailing list)
user@zrythm.org (user mailing list)

**DISCLAIMERS**
- Some of the features above are WIP
- Zrythm will crash often
rhydermike
Established Member

Re: Zrythm 0.7.002

Post by rhydermike »

The project looks interesting, and I've tried building it, but I keep (0.6.502 and now 0.7.002) running into this error:

Code: Select all

meson.build:343:0: ERROR:  Invalid version of dependency, need 'lilv-0' ['>=0.24.2'] found '0.22.1'
What I actually have installed on Ubuntu 19.04 is:

liblilv-0-0:
  Installed: 0.24.2~dfsg0-2
  Candidate: 0.24.2~dfsg0-2
  Version table:
 *** 0.24.2~dfsg0-2 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu disco/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
and

liblilv-dev:
  Installed: 0.24.2~dfsg0-2
  Candidate: 0.24.2~dfsg0-2
  Version table:
 *** 0.24.2~dfsg0-2 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu disco/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

meson.build:343:0: ERROR:  Invalid version of dependency, need 'lilv-0' ['>=0.24.2'] found '0.22.1'
interesting, what does this say? `pkg-config --modversion lilv-0`

Maybe you have multiple versions of lilv installed
rhydermike
Established Member

Post by rhydermike »

alextee wrote:

interesting, what does this say? `pkg-config --modversion lilv-0`
That returns:

Maybe you have multiple versions of lilv installed
It's possible, I've been known to lilv life on the edge.

pkg -l liblilv-0-0
also returns:

ii  liblilv-0-0:amd64 0.24.2~dfsg0-2 amd64        library for simple use of LV2 plugins
and that tallies with what Synaptic shows when I search for lilv. It's beginning to look like I might have a misconfigured system in some way. This installation was created in Feb 2016, and quite a lot of PPAs etc have been installed since then. I've got to go out in a minute, but when I get back, I'll try to remove that older version.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

you definitely have 2 versions installed

afaik pkgconfig uses /usr/lib/pkgconfig/lilv-0.pc (or /usr/lib64... i think on some distros)
if that file says that it's version 0.22.1 then you can probably try reinstalling it
rhydermike
Established Member

Post by rhydermike »

I've managed to get it to compile by typing

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/
and following the instructions, and this works.

However, I haven't been able to run it yet.

It reports:

zrythm: symbol lookup error: zrythm: undefined symbol: sratom_set_env
This happens when I simply type in "zrythm" at the command line or attempt to run it locally from the compilation directory following the instructions in install.md. I've not used "glib-compile-schemas" command before, but the "glib-compile-schemas data/" sequence doesn't visibly do anything and completes instantly.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

zrythm: symbol lookup error: zrythm: undefined symbol: sratom_set_env
sratom_set_env is used by lilv. my guess is that even though you built it with the newer lilv version, when you run zrythm it loads the (different) old library and can't find that function

im not good at these things either, i would just reinstall lilv normally and try again
rhydermike
Established Member

Post by rhydermike »

I got it to run with this command!

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ./build/src/zrythm
It will be interesting to see if any other people on this thread had the same initial problems.

I've only had a bit of time with it so far. I loaded the Surge synth plugin and seemed to work. One thing that seemed strange is that it seemed to create a new audio device in Jack for each track, but this device wasn't automatically connected to the system output, so I had to manually connect it in QjackCtl.

I like the way that double clicking on a plugin created a blank track with that plugin. I seemed to be able to draw a blank midi container on the arrangement area of the screen, but then, in the editor, I seemed to be able to place notes beyond the end of that container. I don't know if that's by design?

I like the overall use of panes on a single screen, and I personally prefer it to the multi-window approach. Tracktion Waveform seems to currently be in a halfway-house of some editors working in a pane and some being inline and some being a pop up editor.

When working on a looped midi section, I prefer it if the editor position cursor loops around while the main position editor in the arrange editor can move freely over the length of the tune. Personally, I prefer an editor that automatically centers and scales in regard to the MIDI note content of the object. On some software, it's annoying if it pops up with some of the notes off screen. Not that I've used Zrythm enough to see how it handles this situation.

Anyway, I'll try to have another play around with it tomorrow and give you some more feedback, but overall, I liked the layout. It's looking very impressive for an early version.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

thanks for the feedback, nice that you got it running
rhydermike wrote:One thing that seemed strange is that it seemed to create a new audio device in Jack for each track, but this device wasn't automatically connected to the system output, so I had to manually connect it in QjackCtl.
You don't really need to do this, Zrythm connects its summed output (Monitor Out) to the speakers by default. The signal path is tracks->master->monitor out and you should be hearing sound without even touching QjackCtl. Zrythm is designed so that it doesn't need external tools, unless you plan on having some custom JACK routing. The track outputs are there just in case you want to route track-specific output somewhere - and also because that's what Ardour does. Maybe showing them can be made optional. It is necessary to at least expose inputs for each track so that MIDI/audio devices can be connected, but maybe this can be optional except for MIDI/Instrument/Audio tracks since they are the only ones that can record. Depends on what most people prefer.
rhydermike wrote:I seemed to be able to place notes beyond the end of that container. I don't know if that's by design?
Yes, initially it was Ableton-style where the region/clip was taking the whole editor screen and you couldn't create notes outside it, but this is limiting if you are used to the Cubase style where it's on a global time. Zrythm tries to give you both, but I can emphasize things better visually so you know what will play and what not when. It's not very clear visually atm.
rhydermike wrote:I like the overall use of panes on a single screen, and I personally prefer it to the multi-window approach. Tracktion Waveform seems to currently be in a halfway-house of some editors working in a pane and some being inline and some being a pop up editor.
I plan to make tabs detachable in the future too. Some people prefer to work with dual/triple monitors. I used to use the mixer on a second monitor for example.
rhydermike wrote:When working on a looped midi section, I prefer it if the editor position cursor loops around while the main position editor in the arrange editor can move freely over the length of the tune.
Yes, I will do this very soon.
rhydermike wrote:Personally, I prefer an editor that automatically centers and scales in regard to the MIDI note content of the object. On some software, it's annoying if it pops up with some of the notes off screen.
Maybe there can be an option in the future to switch between the editor being global or only Ableton-style where it only shows you the clip length, but not anytime soon. I personally prefer the global approach - just need to show things better visually.
rhydermike wrote:Anyway, I'll try to have another play around with it tomorrow and give you some more feedback, but overall, I liked the layout. It's looking very impressive for an early version.
Nice, if you find any bugs/crashes please report them.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Nice! I was not aware of this software, thank you for bringing this to us, definitely checking it out.

Thank you very much

Att.: Rodney
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

No luck either building it from source or using the binary package. I installed all the dependencies but when trying to build it, I get a lot of errors with mesonmain.py, interpreter.py, interpreterbase.py and specially mpsarer.py. With the binary package it states that Gtk3 is not installed, but it is.

So yeah dunno why I couldn´t get it running.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

Rodney wrote:No luck either building it from source or using the binary package. I installed all the dependencies but when trying to build it, I get a lot of errors with mesonmain.py, interpreter.py, interpreterbase.py and specially mpsarer.py.
it sounds like a meson error, maybe try a newer version of meson.
Rodney wrote:With the binary package it states that Gtk3 is not installed, but it is.
What distro is this? The gtk dependency is 3.24 so it will only work on debian 10 and above
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

It´s AVLINUX 2019 iso. I think it´s debian stretch.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

yeah sorry since a few versions ago stretch is not supported. there are no binaries for it anymore either. by the time zrythm is stable almost everyone will be on buster or above so it's not really a concern imo.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Ah OK, that explains everything. Guess I'll just have to wait until a new version of Avlinux is released.

Thanks a bunch