Collaboration online

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Digital Larry
Established Member

Collaboration online

Post by Digital Larry »

As I reflect on the musical activities in my life, some of the best ones have been where I collaborated with someone else. However, that becomes more difficult as time goes on. I checked out a music collaboration site, but it was not at all what I had in mind. For example, everyone has to submit a video of themselves playing or singing their part and these are all put together so not only do you hear the result but you see everyone in their bedroom studio. I'm not really interested in broadcasting my ugly mug and I am not really interested in doing covers.

I'd like to offer up some riff ideas just to see if anyone's interested to take them somewhere else. I think if I took all the riffs and half baked ideas I've recorded and made them into songs at 3 or 4 months each I'd be 150 years old by the time I got done. So I'm willing to put these things out there just to see if anyone wants to use one.

Most of these would probably be guitar/bass loop WAV files, and possibly some MIDI generated by my Beatstep Pro.

Anybody doing anything like this?
milo
Established Member

Re: Collaboration online

Post by milo »

I have a similar library of half-baked song ideas. I'm working through them slowly, trying to not die with my music still in me.

It is a generous sentiment to "open source" your music -- to just dump it all in a repository and yell "Up for grabs!"

I somehow doubt that anyone would be interested in doing anything with my song fragments. I'm happy to share them, but I think probably no one wants them until I work on them some more, and prove that they are valuable.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

I'm at Wikiloops for the exact same reasons: having realized that I won't be famous, I just want to have fun and share and play some music (make some noise) together with others.

Since I joined, I've made 7 albums - see my blog over at https://wolfgang.lonien.de/ where I list them

Latest collab was with an English guy one month older than myself, and - I think - an Irish girl who isn't even on the 'loops but gave her permission to use her stuff. And I for a change didn't use my fretless but the Karoryfer Meatbass, a nicely sampled 1958 Otto Rubner:

https://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack-jam-170956.php

It's basically free (I pay, as do many others, having realized that we just support ourselves doing so), and it's fun. So have a look and a listen, and feel invited. One rule: no covers. Our daughter, who will be 15 soon is also on the 'loops - see her blog over at https://zuleikha.lonien.de/

Other sites, some a bit more specialized or with other restrictions: songtree and bandlab.

Hope that helps,
and cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
Digital Larry
Established Member

Post by Digital Larry »

wjl wrote:I'm at Wikiloops for the exact same reasons: having realized that I won't be famous, I just want to have fun and share and play some music (make some noise) together with others.
Thank you, I listened to that one tune and thought it was cool. I will sign up and we'll see what happens.

DL
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Cool, enjoy!

Oh, and I was working on our small virtual server a bit - but now both my page and the one of our daughter should be back online :)

Cheers (looking forward to "seeing" you there...),
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

Me and some friends are putting the old band back together, in the limited manner possible given the distances and adult person type lifestyles involved. We are pretty well scattered (Massachusetts, Michigan, Arizona, and South Africa) but with the magic of digital audio and Dropbox we have riffs flying back and forth and being slowly turned in to songs. It's a lot of fun.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Digital Larry wrote:As I reflect on the musical activities in my life, some of the best ones have been where I collaborated with someone else. However, that becomes more difficult as time goes on. I checked out a music collaboration site, but it was not at all what I had in mind. For example, everyone has to submit a video of themselves playing or singing their part and these are all put together so not only do you hear the result but you see everyone in their bedroom studio. I'm not really interested in broadcasting my ugly mug and I am not really interested in doing covers.

I'd like to offer up some riff ideas just to see if anyone's interested to take them somewhere else. I think if I took all the riffs and half baked ideas I've recorded and made them into songs at 3 or 4 months each I'd be 150 years old by the time I got done. So I'm willing to put these things out there just to see if anyone wants to use one.

Most of these would probably be guitar/bass loop WAV files, and possibly some MIDI generated by my Beatstep Pro.

Anybody doing anything like this?
There are whole sites for that, like CCMixter.

I personally can't collaborate online, I need direct feedback :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!