Deleted Thread?

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Deleted Thread?

Postby khz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:19 am

khz wrote:Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository >> viewtopic.php?p=96528#p96528
KXRepos and Debian PPAs >> viewtopic.php?p=94589#p94589

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=92293#p92293

Unfortunately the thread (Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository / KXRepos and Debian PPAs) has been deleted?
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

User avatar
raboof
Established Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby raboof » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 am

khz wrote:
khz wrote:Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository >> viewtopic.php?p=96528#p96528
KXRepos and Debian PPAs >> viewtopic.php?p=94589#p94589

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=92293#p92293

Unfortunately the thread (Debian-stable dist-upgrade with the KXStudio repository / KXRepos and Debian PPAs) has been deleted?

Thanks for the heads-up.

The thread is still there, though the useful post has gone missing: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=18940&p=96530

The google cache has a hint: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... irefox-b-d

Looking closer, it looks like falktx' account has been hacked: it was renamed to "___" and all its posts removed. I have disabled the account now. I'll see if I can recover anything from backups, but I fear I won't be able to restore things because the forum has been running (and thus diverging from the backup) since the event. I'll do my best though. Edit: I've had a look but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to recover anything :(.

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 am

raboof wrote:Looking closer, it looks like falktx' account has been hacked: it was renamed to "___" and all its posts removed. I have disabled the account now. I'll see if I can recover anything from backups, but I fear I won't be able to restore things because the forum has been running (and thus diverging from the backup) since the event. I'll do my best though. Edit: I've had a look but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to recover anything :(.

Holy mackerel Batman! That's pretty serious. FalkTX is the maintainer of the KXStudio repository and his posts are pretty important! I hope you can get into contact with him and give him a new account etc.

Good luck in solving the problem!

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby khz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:38 pm

That's right, it's a pity about all contributions from FalkTX (and every other user of LM)!

But thanks for the quick answer raboof!
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby tavasti » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:43 pm

raboof wrote:Looking closer, it looks like falktx' account has been hacked: it was renamed to "___" and all its posts removed. I have disabled the account now. I'll see if I can recover anything from backups, but I fear I won't be able to restore things because the forum has been running (and thus diverging from the backup) since the event. I'll do my best though. Edit: I've had a look but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to recover anything :(.

Writing some script restoring those particular posts might be possible. Would you like to have some help with it?
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

User avatar
milk
Established Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby milk » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Code: Select all

<@falktx> raboof: just saw a discussion on LM. I purposefully deleted my messages. I was looking for a way to delete my account, but could not find one, so I went with the closest thing to it
<@falktx> please do not bother creating an account for me there, I won't use it


:cry:
they/them ta / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages - a collection of mostly Linux and free links / Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet (slightly broken, no time/cpu power to fix here)

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby Michael Willis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm

I wondered if that was what happened.

tavasti
Established Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am
Location: Kangasala, Finland
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby tavasti » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:29 am

Ok, he has right to do so, but I would consider that pretty nasty thing to do. I understand that he doesn't want to write anything new here anymore, but removing old posts! :evil:
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

User avatar
Linuxmusician01
Established Member
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:38 pm
Location: Holland

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:26 pm

milk wrote:

Code: Select all

<@falktx> raboof: just saw a discussion on LM. I purposefully deleted my messages. I was looking for a way to delete my account, but could not find one, so I went with the closest thing to it
<@falktx> please do not bother creating an account for me there, I won't use it


:cry:

You sure that wan't a hacker talking? For somebody who has a warm heart for making music on Linux, like falkTX, it seems out of character to do something as drastic as this...

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby khz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
milk wrote:

Code: Select all

<@falktx> raboof: just saw a discussion on LM. I purposefully deleted my messages. I was looking for a way to delete my account, but could not find one, so I went with the closest thing to it
<@falktx> please do not bother creating an account for me there, I won't use it


:cry:

You sure that wan't a hacker talking? For somebody who has a warm heart for making music on Linux, like falkTX, it seems out of character to do something as drastic as this...


If falktx itself writes this as an answer in IRC it will probably be true.
Or was falktx also hacked in IRC ? ;-)

Well this shows me that posts or code can disappear quickly.
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

User avatar
milk
Established Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby milk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:05 pm

like tears in the rain, and entirely foreseeable. well, at least the potential for someone to delete all their posts. forums aren't good systems for knowledge management given their user focused and temporal format.
they/them ta / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages - a collection of mostly Linux and free links / Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet (slightly broken, no time/cpu power to fix here)

User avatar
raboof
Established Member
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am
Location: Deventer, NL
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby raboof » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:30 pm

khz wrote:posts or code can disappear quickly.

With respect to code, at least we're lucky many distributions also hold on to the source packages.

With git, it's great how most contributors have a copy of the repository (with history), so even when the code hosting site goes away the collaboration can continue elsewhere.

Indeed forum posts are a bit more ephemeral. I think that's OK and in line with the medium. For long-term knowledge collection/sharing we should be using different tools - though admittedly the ones readily available don't seem great.

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby khz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:15 pm

raboof wrote:[...] Indeed forum posts are a bit more ephemeral. I think that's OK and in line with the medium. For long-term knowledge collection/sharing we should be using different tools - though admittedly the ones readily available don't seem great.

For example, the great LM Wiki, which is also a summary of the beginnings of LM, before the forum software change. When did nathan open Forum 1.0? Around 2006? Those were nice times and they are still nice times.

Thank you raboof for your continuous commitment here in the forum!
LM rocks!

And yes, I come from Germany and rather have a negative dialectic due to the influence of German philosophers. But I am a happy person. :-D
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.

User avatar
milk
Established Member
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 am
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby milk » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:32 pm

khz wrote:the great LM Wiki


what is the LM wiki?
they/them ta / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages - a collection of mostly Linux and free links / Linux Digital Audio and Music Workstation Comparison Matrix - collaborative Google Sheet (slightly broken, no time/cpu power to fix here)

User avatar
khz
Established Member
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:29 am
Location: German

Re: Deleted Thread?

Postby khz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:39 pm

milk wrote:what is the LM wiki?

khz wrote:
https://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/start wrote:The wiki is a community effort: everyone is welcome to suggest features, help updating wiki pages or joining the development team!

<EDIT>Welcome! If you inform yourself about GNU/Linux, e.g. in the wiki, and find outdated, further, new entries you can report it immediately, you are invited to contribute.</EDIT>

Since I often read that the information from https://wiki.linuxaudio.org is (partly) outdated, my suggestion is:

Collect the obsolete entries here with the current correct correction worked out in community.

We can then add them to the wiki, i.e. bring the wiki up to date.
In my opinion this would help everyone.
https://linuxmusicians.com == https://wiki.linuxaudio.org IMHO

Source: Wiki update - viewtopic.php?p=98325#p98325 :D
FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
    I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.


Return to “Suggestion Box”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest