Rosegarden 17.12 couple of probs

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

Rosegarden 17.12 couple of probs

Post by fretski »

Just installed Suse Leap 15.1 and the Rosegarden 'Studio>AudioMixer'

channel numbers appear only while there is no file loaded, they vanish as soon as I load a song (they're also too small to read on a high-res monitor)

the channel volume sliders have no effect on volume

Anyone out there with this problem?

Tumbleweed uses v-19.06 but I can't get it working right now so I don't know if it also has the problem or not
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Rosegarden 17.12 couple of probs

Post by glowrak guy »

I'm a big fan of keeping multiple distros up and running linux audio apps.
In your case, having a modern debian based setup would allow you
to compare notes and app/lib versions between the two systems, and use the alien command
to convert between .rpm and .deb files, when some things
found in kx-studio or suse repositories, are perhaps not in, or updated, in one or the other.

And there are bootable audio distros containing Rosegarden,
that can be used for comparisons. The properties section
of a synaptic package manager, has a tab to list dependencies,
(a right-click is involved) could be some hints for comparisons
with what is listed by a suse package manager.
Good luck!
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

glowrak guy wrote:I'm a big fan of keeping multiple distros up and running linux audio apps.

thanks for the advice,

hehe, i would be too but i'm too old to manage the one i'm most used to

I did get my tumbleweed working again by recovering a month-old earlier image and Rosegarden-19.06 bundled with it has working sliders. The channel numbers still show only before loading a file though. I also have a Debian based studio AV-Linux installation but haven't booted it in ages because one of my fav progs (Qjackctl, Qsynth, ZynAddSubFX, Rosegarden, Hydrogen) wasn't working in it for some reason.

I will try to run Rosegarden under Av-Linux again seeing that there are additional little nuisance probs as well

- the assigned synth-plugis don't hold, I set a zynn-155 Light-Guitar but after a while it falls back to something sounding different although the setting remains 155 (as an example)

- the standalone zynnaddsubfx connected in qjackctl doesn't show up in the midi devices manager and is unusable as a workaround for the above

- mixer labels unreadably tiny

- uncommanded sustains, last note half-way on staff continues sounding endlessly

- etc
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

fretski wrote:
I did get my tumbleweed working again by recovering a month-old earlier image and Rosegarden-19.06 bundled with it has working sliders. The channel numbers still show only before loading a file though. I also have a Debian based studio AV-Linux installation but haven't booted it in ages because one of my fav progs (Qjackctl, Qsynth, ZynAddSubFX, Rosegarden, Hydrogen) wasn't working in it for some reason.

I will try to run Rosegarden under Av-Linux again seeing that there are additional little nuisance probs as well

- the assigned synth-plugis don't hold, I set a zynn-155 Light-Guitar but after a while it falls back to something sounding different although the setting remains 155 (as an example)

- the standalone zynnaddsubfx connected in qjackctl doesn't show up in the midi devices manager and is unusable as a workaround for the above

- mixer labels unreadably tiny

- uncommanded sustains, last note half-way on staff continues sounding endlessly

- etc
Av-Linux has Rosegarden-17.2 bundled and it shows about the same problems as above. So I'm basically forced to use unstable Tumbleweed for the time being :evil: .
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Have you contacted the developers? Rosegarden is actively being worked on.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

folderol wrote:Have you contacted the developers? Rosegarden is actively being worked on.
Not yet, I'll put myself on the mailing list

Meanwhile i seem to have got rid of another problem. Two of the tracks in one piece kept reverting to another instrument regardless of what synth was assigned (gm or zyn). I finally managed to copy the notes into an empty staff selecting only the notes with the mouse instead of "select all" and that seemed to do it.
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

fretski wrote:
folderol wrote:Have you contacted the developers? Rosegarden is actively being worked on.
Not yet, I'll put myself on the mailing list

Meanwhile i seem to have got rid of another problem. Two of the tracks in one piece kept reverting to another instrument regardless of what synth was assigned (gm or zyn). I finally managed to copy the notes into an empty staff selecting only the notes with the mouse instead of "select all" and that seemed to do it.
The above is confirmed, I don't know what gets copied with "Select All" as opposed to selecting a rectangle on the staff including notes and nothing else.

The other item about standalone Zyn not showing up is caused by a wrong default launching argument. I have changed it to

Code: Select all

zynaddsubfx -a
and that fixed it. The last item about very small mixer fonts will I suspect be addressed by the rosegarden devs, interim a rename to something very short helps.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

19.06 for Leap 15.1 available in Geekos DAW repo https://software.opensuse.org//download ... rosegarden
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Kott wrote:19.06 for Leap 15.1 available in Geekos DAW repo https://software.opensuse.org//download ... rosegarden
That's the tumbleweed (factory) package and it raises dependency issues solving which may render Yast inoperative. I need it in the Leap repo. I've made some changes in the way I use Suse, I have a common home directory so it makes little difference if I boot tumbleweed or Leap somewhat in accordance with the old dictum that an operating system is just a plug-in for your favorite apps :-)

I have RG-19.06 in tumbleweed, if for any temporary reason TW should bomb then I just reboot to Leap and press on with RG-17.xy. While using Leap I will then recover an image of tumbleweed made earlier with dd and in half an hour I'm back where I was.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

fretski wrote:
Kott wrote:19.06 for Leap 15.1 available in Geekos DAW repo https://software.opensuse.org//download ... rosegarden
That's the tumbleweed (factory) package
emmm...
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... Leap_15.1/
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... x86_64.rpm
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Kott wrote:
fretski wrote:
That's the tumbleweed (factory) package
emmm...
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... Leap_15.1/
https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... x86_64.rpm
Thanks, i was loking in the stock Leap repos before.