Cannot find a straight answer about spl crimson 3 on linux

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

phi1123
Established Member

Cannot find a straight answer about spl crimson 3 on linux

Post by phi1123 »

:? I have read they use an xmos chip for their usb connection. I know those are recognised by linux. Does the crimson 3 still use one?
I wrote them 2 emails and registered an issue after making a profile in their site about linux. I made a good case for Preempt Rt lernel and how essential it is for audio. Loads of processes running= current demands =unsteady voltage (sag). or tiny fluctuations. NTM the clocks we can configure for audio while building our own kernel. Has anyone had any experience with the device yet on linux. Anything alot cheaper with comparable sound quality btw? I know the behringer umc202, 204, and 404 all use the xmos usb>><<i2s converter but not soconfident about behringer's pres. It seems like I can just plug the crimson in and use my favorite software on avlinux (my favorite distro after trying 50 or so 8) ). Any answers or direction will be highly appreciated and also useful to others as I cannot seem to find any info exactly or close enough to answer my questions on the net using several search engines and syntax. Thanks a lot. Phi1123
Digital Larry
Established Member

Re: Cannot find a straight answer about spl crimson 3 on linux

Post by Digital Larry »

I use a Behringer 404 and it is OK although sometimes I have to unplug and replug it, so it shows up in Claudia.

I understand also that "deluxe mic pres" are something that you can wind up paying more for if you like. What I'm not so sure about is the objective differences between all those preamps. I'm sure there are some differences but I cannot tell you that anything is "wrong" with the Behringers, at least the way I use them.

I am starting to lose some high frequency hearing, so hiss doesn't bug me the way it used to. That's about the only silver lining I can put on it at the moment.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the device you mentioned.

I just looked at the web site. It claims "Class 2 compliance" for iOS, but that doesn't mean you'll get good results on Linux. If you can't get an answer from them, I think that is your answer. They don't know. I think of my Avid Eleven Rack - it has a USB audio interface and Linux recognizes it as such (ALSA anyway) but I cannot get any sound from it into any app that I've used.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I have a UMC1820 and am happy with it; it has worked flawlessly without any special steps needed. I don't know that the difference in the mic pres is going to translate into much of a difference in the recording quality. There are a number of other things that are way more important, in my opinion, such as gain staging, mic quality and placement, and the performance itself. I have been curious about the SPL Crimson 3, too, but no one has reported back on its use on Linux. Given it is iOS compatible and has no built-in software mixer, it should work just fine on Linux but it is an expensive gamble to take.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I would just order one and send it back if it's not running.