Not great news... AV Linux Forum shutting down September 1st

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Not great news... AV Linux Forum shutting down September 1st

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

If I'm not mistaken then the people who make KXStudio and Qtractor do not have their own forum nor a separate subforum here at linuxmusicians.com either. They are, however, very willing to kindly answer questions about their project every now and then and I for one appreciate that very, very much! I would be pleased to see @GMaq go forward like that. One big forum for everything instead of a few specialized ones is also easy for me as a simple user. Might not be the worst of things...
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

@raboof What do you think of the suggestion to offer an AVLinux forum area?
Linuxmusician01 wrote:If I'm not mistaken then the people who make KXStudio and Qtractor do not have their own forum nor a separate subforum here at linuxmusicians.com either. They are, however, very willing to kindly answer questions about their project every now and then and I for one appreciate that very, very much! I would be pleased to see @GMaq go forward like that. One big forum for everything instead of a few specialized ones is also easy for me as a simple user. Might not be the worst of things...
KXStudio has a subforum (& Discussion Linux Distributions & Other Software KXStudio Discussion).
But I also think that this forum can be used by all users, developers, projects and whatever else.
Subforum might be easier for new visitors to find specific questions, but it also complicates it because there would be a lot of subforums.
In the end everything is GNU/Linux.
No idea ... .

In any case, LM is happy to provide a platform for all users, developers, projects and whatever else where you can exchange ideas about "Linux Audio".
user@IMHO
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

khz wrote:[...]
KXStudio has a subforum (& Discussion Linux Distributions & Other Software KXStudio Discussion).
Oops. I stand corrected. :oops:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote:Hi LM's!

Just passing this along to reach as many people as I can, thanks!

http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=4298.0
If someone says, define GMaq, I would say,
'With malice towards none', 'First, do no harm',
'Walking the extra mile', cliches all, but that's the perception
I've always had. Forums are strange dwellings, and you're a
great example of communicating at that level.

Hope 2020 is your happiest and most productive year,
until the next one!
Cheers
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

nilshi wrote:
GMaq wrote: an AVL subforum was very kindly offered here but unfortunately I would need to moderate it and that brings up the same time crunch issue that my own forum faced
Moderation in form of removing spam, hateful people is done by a complete staff here and will include a potential AVL subforum
A "complete staff" might be a bit too much praise (it's mostly me, khz and MattKingUSA spending some of our spare time on this) - but you are correct that we'd share the load of activating users and the other moderation activities, just like with the current KXStudio subforum.

If we might miss something, everyone can help, too: if you click the 'report post' button it'll go to a separate queue that we review more closely next time we log in.
khz wrote:In any case, LM is happy to provide a platform for all users, developers, projects and whatever else where you can exchange ideas about "Linux Audio".
Full ack!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Well, I haven't been here in almost 10 years. You and the others have done the work all these years. Thanks for that! And to all users also a big thank you, without you there would be no LM! (Wow I am now also administrator, that made me very happy even if I see myself rather moderator. :-D I don't do hiring at the HP, because I have very little knowledge about it (HP).)

#freedom
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and comments, very much appreciated!!

OK to be clear raboof was very quick and generous to offer AVL a subforum and I'm very grateful for the gesture, I also understand that I don't have to be here 24/7 for that but obviously would need to do my part when I'm here to help out on a subforum and elsewhere, as I said on my post at the AVL forum if I can't do something right I'd rather not do it at all.

I think it would be best to wait and see on the actual need for a subforum, there are already occasional AVL questions here but they are not frequent enough to merit the need for a whole separate section to monitor and maintain. I think it best for me to finish my business on my forum, to (hopefully) archive the forum and host the archive at bandshed.net and then see what the need is and address that if necessary with a subforum here if that is still an option at the time.

The truth is between AVL releases the traffic is relatively slow other than new users who have discovered AVL along the way and I will not be working on the new Buster-based release until this winter. I think before getting out of the frying pan and into the fire I would like to take a bit of a support break and see what the actual need is.

I hope this makes sense to everyone! :wink:
Last edited by GMaq on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

:-D Embryo - Zack Glück : 4 u && -all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG_rKj-I9wA :-D

Zack
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Some good news...

I used wget and have successfully created a forum archive and tested it hosted on my webspace, it's not pretty and some icons are missing despite several attempts and checking the paths but most of the links etc. seem to be intact so there is an archive!

http://bandshed.net/forum_archive/bands ... x.php.html
Last edited by GMaq on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

GMaq wrote:I used httrack and have successfully created a forum archive and tested it hosted on my webspace, it's not pretty but most of the links etc. seem to be intact so there will be an archive!

This can be tested here but note it is only a test archive and the final archive and forum backup will occur September 1st.
http://bandshed.net/forum_archive/bands ... index.html
This is great, thanks for doing it!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Well done!
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Glen,

After over thirty-five years of active work in open-source software, I can empathize completely with the need to lay down a support burden. Please know that your efforts supporting AVLinux are appreciated, and that we don't expect / need you to do any more than you are comfortable doing. Your work has been a huge benefit to the Linux audio community, and you should feel justifiably proud that you have done yeoman's work toward making Linux audio recording / production a reality for many people.

Best regards,

Tres.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz