Audient ID4 buggy after Firmware update? (1.03)

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

andreios
Established Member

Audient ID4 buggy after Firmware update? (1.03)

Post by andreios »

I have an Audient ID4 and use it on my Linux machine since 6 months or so. I had no problems before but after I updated the driver with Windows 7 a few days ago, the device stops playing any audio trough USB after running for an hour or two, Recording still works though. I have to unplug it for a second, so it works for an hour or two again. Absolute no error messages in Syslog or ~/.xsession-errors related to this.
Had anybody else such experiences?
Is there any possible way to repeat the update process? May it didn't run through correctly?
Last edited by andreios on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Audient ID4 buggy after Firmware update? (1.03)

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

andreios wrote:I have an Audient ID4 and use it on my Linux machine since 6 months or so. I had no problems before but after I updated the driver with Windows 7 a few days ago, the device stops playing any audio trough USB after running for an hour or two, Recording still works though. I have to unplug it for a second, so it works for an hour or two again. Absolute no error messages in Syslog or ~/.xsession-errors related to this.
Had anybody else such experiences?
Is there any possible way to repeat the update process? May it didn't run trough correctly?
The Quick Start Guide (link) says that this device is class compliant and does not need a driver on MacOS. Are you completely sure that the Windows driver updates the firmware of this device...? Your problems might be hardware related (read: maybe a capacitor inside the device broke) or Linux related. How long have you had the device? I don't think it'll be broke. Try to let it play audio on a Windows machine for 3 hours. If it stops on Windows too it might be hardware related (overheating?).

Do you use Jack Audio on Linux? That might give some more errors and might give a hint as to what is the problem.

Good luck! :)
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

It looks as if the manufacturers don't test their firmware enough concerning class compliant operation.

I had to install an older firmware in my MOTU UltraLite AVB to fix class compliant operation. I recommend that you install the former firmware.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

andreios
Established Member

Post by andreios »

Thanks for your answers.
I used this device only on Linux, and I switched only to windows to update the firmware occasional.
I did this before with firmware version 1.0.1 when it came out a few moths ago, no problems with that update.
Yes, you can update the firmware very easy through the tray icon of the driver.

I contacted the support and they asked me to test it on windows because they don't support Linux. Turns out it has absolutely no sound on windows, nothing. It always tries to switch to another sound card to play audio, even if you set it as standard device. And if you disable all other sound cards on the system every application which you can try to play audio throws an error message or crashes. But the device is recognized when connected, no error messages in devices manger either. i have even reinstalled Windows.

They gave me advice how I to reinstall the latest firmware or a previous version.

When you click on "check for updates" (which is basically firmware updates) a message appears saying: "Your firmware is already up to date." and you have to press OK.
You have to hold Strg while clicking OK, so you can reinstall the firmware or any other firmware version. They gave me version 1.0.1 too. But it changed nothing. Reinstalling or downgrading firmware works fine, but the problem remains.

Strangest thing is that it works for some time in Linux before it just mutes. I don't think that this is an issue with the firmware. Must be something broken with the USB controller or so.

I will try out jack.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

andreios wrote:[...]

I contacted the support and they asked me to test it on windows because they don't support Linux. Turns out it has absolutely no sound on windows,[...]
I will try out jack.
I think you should contact support again. What surprises me most is that going back to the previous firmware (that worked, did it not?) does not help. If it's the firmware that is the problem then all Audient ID4 users are contacting Support right now. All disappointed or angry. Audient does not have a forum (as far as I know) so we cannot see if lots of people are complaining. It might be a broken hardware problem, might be firmware.

However, it's not Linux related so using Jack Audio won't help you either. I'm very curious as to how Audient is going to help you. Let is know how it went. Good luck!

[edit] Found this FAQ on Audient's website: "Interface Frequently Disconnects On Windows": link. Another tip: do not use a USB hub to connect audio devices to your computer. And laptops might not have enough electrical power to properly power the device...
andreios
Established Member

Post by andreios »

Thanks for this idea with the USB hub. I use an USB Hub all the time, it has external power, but I think this must be some how involved with this. I used it for years basically with no problems, even the firmware update a few months earlier this year went fine.

The support is very responsive and gave me already all sorts of tips to solve this problem, but of course only for Windows. Including that one with the Power Management. It can't be the firmware it self, even the old firmware showed the same problem in both Linux and Windows. The support also said they never had this before. They said that after I tried to reinstall and downgrade of the firmware.

But since yesterday evening it seems to work again on Linux.
Yesterday I had started to reinstall, downgrade, or reupgrade the firmware several times, but at first I still used my USB hub. Nothing changed except it seemed to get a bit worse in Linux, the breaks got more often than before.
But in the evening or night I tried it without the hub for a few times on differed USB Ports. No change in Windows, no sound at all no matter which USB port or what ever I tried. Basically the only thing I can do on Windows is to update the firmware.
But after that I switched back to Linux and it worked for hours without breaking up. Today the same.
I guess it must have something to do with this USB Hub. Is it now solved, I don't know! But for a matter of fact in Linux it worked the whole day today!
I can't say anything bad about the support, they were really fast responding and tried to be helpful. And I didn't even mentioned the part with the USB hub to them until now.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

andreios wrote:Thanks for this idea with the USB hub. I use an USB Hub all the time, it has external power, but I think this must be some how involved with this. I used it for years basically with no problems, even the firmware update a few months earlier this year went fine.

The support is very responsive and gave me already all sorts of tips to solve this problem, but of course only for Windows. Including that one with the Power Management. It can't be the firmware it self, even the old firmware showed the same problem in both Linux and Windows. The support also said they never had this before. They said that after I tried to reinstall and downgrade of the firmware.

But since yesterday evening it seems to work again on Linux.
Yesterday I had started to reinstall, downgrade, or reupgrade the firmware several times, but at first I still used my USB hub. Nothing changed except it seemed to get a bit worse in Linux, the breaks got more often than before.
But in the evening or night I tried it without the hub for a few times on differed USB Ports. No change in Windows, no sound at all no matter which USB port or what ever I tried. Basically the only thing I can do on Windows is to update the firmware.
But after that I switched back to Linux and it worked for hours without breaking up. Today the same.
I guess it must have something to do with this USB Hub. Is it now solved, I don't know! But for a matter of fact in Linux it worked the whole day today!
I can't say anything bad about the support, they were really fast responding and tried to be helpful. And I didn't even mentioned the part with the USB hub to them until now.
I hope you will not have any problems anymore with said device and I'm glad you've got it working. I had to lean about that USB hub problem the hard way too, ha ha.
nikitoska01

Post by nikitoska01 »

andreios wrote:They gave me version 1.0.1,too.
Hello, man. Can you upload 1.0.1 (or lower if you have) firmware file, please? I have problems after update too. Can you update it on Google disk or on my email (nikitoska01@mail.ru) ? Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english :)