Rated Blue - Joy

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Rated Blue - Joy

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I've been away for a while and have a lot of catching up to do with many of the new music postings here.. :wink:

This will be the title track for our next album, I had posted some early solo demos of this song a few years ago but it is now finished and much better represented as a full band recording. For the time being I'm posting it as a tagged MP3 on my webspace but will post the finished album here when (and if) it gets finished. For this project we've welcomed a new contributor Dave Williams doing keyboard work and this song features some great work by him on our studio Hammond organ, in general everybody gets a chance to let loose a bit on this one.. :twisted:

Recorded with Ardour 5.12 on AV Linux 2019.

Comments, questions and critiques welcomed!
http://bandshed.net/music/RATED_BLUE/CR ... ession.mp3
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Rated Blue - Joy

Post by Michael Willis »

I already responded to your post on the Ardour forum, but just to let everybody around here know, don't miss this one, it's great fun.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This is pretty good. The bass and drums are very good. Guitar sounds/textures are just nice. The song is well structured, lots of dynamics. The main vocals could perhaps sit a tad better in the mix as they sound just a bit 'outside', by not much though, IMHO. The choir parts are all right. All in all it's excellent.

Now you're ready to make festivals or, create your own.

Cheers.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

A solid track! Some great playing on all the instruments, and good dynamics bringing the energy and volume levels up and down to keep things really interesting through the whole song. I dig the wah-wah guitar solo especially. Which drumkit is that? I assume it was the real thing, not the soundfont. :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@jonetsu

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, I appreciate the insights.. With the main vocal Reverb didn't sit exactly how i wanted so I went for dimension and delay, I agree it sets the vocal in a different space which thickens it but also risks it sounding 'outside' like you mentioned. I'm not really a fan of my voice to begin with so that affects objectivity when making processing decisions... *shrugs

@milo,

Thanks for listening, your time and comments are appreciated.. :). The drums are real and played by my son Connor, it is his 'Red Zeppelin' kit which is the source of the samples for the AVL Drumkits 'Red Zeppelin..http://www.bandshed.net/avldrumkits/
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

This is a killer arrangement. That long intro with the crazed bass is sublime, then the big chords come in like BLAM. Stellar singing too--I know it's hard to hear ourselves objectively but that is a 100% solid rock vocal, no issues there.

You pushed it pretty hard but it sounds great--my bluetooth speaker at work is almost levitating!
listenable at c6a7.org
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

ufug wrote:my bluetooth speaker at work is almost levitating!
I wish my coworkers would let me play this kind of stuff on a bluetooth speaker. :lol:
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Smells like there's been some serious "woodshedding" going on... :D

And i mean that in a really good way. 8)
Screenshot from 2019-07-03 20-30-47.png
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Pretty damn good! The playing is tight, vocals are great and the mixing sounds also very good. I like the driving nature of track. Reminds me a little bit on THE BLACK CROWS.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@ufug
Appreciate the kind words, thanks so much! :)

@carlv
Thanks! Not sure about woodshedding but hopefully improving with age at least.. :)

@lilith
Thanks for listening and commenting, I do like The Black Crowes but this song was probably more influenced by contemporary jam bands like Gov't Mule and old Power Trio stuff like The James Gang, early Grand Funk etc..
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

All the instruments sound very neatly, the drums are gorgeous, overall, it is a strong track :!: :)
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi Glenn,great bass guitar in this song :D

gennaro
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Wow, this is really good! Great writing, performance and arrangement.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Very cool song, band, sound, and production Glen, and bravo to all of you. As a bass player I love the bass obviously, but in fact it's all very nice up to the organ in the end. Great vocals as well.

Thumbs up, man! And thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

I must have listened to this one at least a dozen times already -- I really dig this groove!

Love the bass intro -- great playing. The organ really adds richness to the overall sound. The use of hand percussion insttrumentation here reminds me that tambourine can well-employed.

Thanks for sharing!