How to install jcgui?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: How to install jcgui?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

LinMusGuy wrote:[...] Is there a good book on compiling from source? I always prefer to know what I am doing...
Not as far as I know. In the old days it was always simply:

Code: Select all

./configure
make
sudo make install
The configure script determines if you have all the needed (development) libraries. The make command actually compiles the application from the source code and the make install command copies the compiled binaries etc. to their proper locations on your hard disk (needs root privileges).

However, you often need 10.000 development packages. And the cryptic error messages that ./configure spits out do not help to determine what dev package you need. Compiling from source is a torture. I avoid it. Especially because I use an old distro and most source code demands very up to date libraries. I always seem to have a dev package that is too old.
LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

I don't like compiling from source either, but sometimes it's a necessary evil to get something done.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

LinMusGuy wrote:Thanks! The reason I asked this question is because I want to have at least one convolver to play with impulse responses. Now I already installed jconvolver but its hard to understand (for me at least) without a GUI. Perhaps there is another alternative?
You could use the LSP Plugins suite, it has a zero latency convolver plugin: https://lsp-plug.in/

I think Guitarix has one also. Check out x42, they have a zero latency convolver too: https://x42-plugins.com/x42/
LinMusGuy wrote:Is there a good book on compiling from source? I always prefer to know what I am doing...
There is plenty of documentation about the build systems that the various project use, but it is gonna be hard to make your head around them. Building from source might seem very hard at first, but normally it means attempting to build a few times until you figured out all the packages you need to install to have a successful build. After you do it, say, 10 times you develop some eye for the command line output, and by reading it you are like "oh, it cannot find this .so file, so let's search it online... oh, it is part of this package for my distribution, so let's install it...". Kinda like this.

I think the absolute worst are the scientific software packages. Like, I can't for the life of me build Salome and its dependencies on Arch Linux. Luckily I managed to get the universal binary running...
LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

CrocoDuck wrote:You could use the LSP Plugins suite, it has a zero latency convolver plugin: https://lsp-plug.in/
Is that also for a 32-bits Linux Mint 17 system?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

LinMusGuy
Established Member

Post by LinMusGuy »

I didn't understand how to install the LSP-plugins by hand, but happily they can also be installed as part of a KXStudio repository. So now Carla sees and opens them. Thanks!
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Code: Select all

<…>
sudo make install
This is the worst you can do to your system when compiling from source.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.