Shaky moving windows

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Shaky moving windows

Post by jonetsu »

Is there anything that linVST (perhaps wine) has to do with the display of plugin windows regarding their stability when moved around ?

This is seen with the MUX modular synth which opens many windows depending on which module is edited. With about 3 or 4 windows opened, moving one quickly around makes the window resist the movement in a shaky. This happens a couple of times, then moving the window very slowly works.

What I noticed is that after doing that a few times with various MUX windows, the behaviour is inherited by the Melda plugins which otherwise never ever display such window behaviour.

I'm using linvst from git from about January 2019.

A MUX demo, which is what I use, is available. Simply copy the folder to the plugin directory, and add linvst.so.

https://www.mutools.com/mux-downloads.html
lilith
Established Member

Re: Shaky moving windows

Post by lilith »

Is it the same with and without compositing?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Xfce compositing is switched off since quite some time. I switched it off for a good reason, although I haven't taken notes about it, unfortunately. I can try enabling it back. Although I found it strange that a Melda plugin would inherit from the same behaviour.
Last edited by jonetsu on Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:Xfce compositing is switched off since quite some time. I switched it off for a good reason, although I haven't taken notes about it, unfortunately. I can try enabling it back.
If XFCE compositing makes problems you can also try Compton, which I use.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Is it part of a regular Xubuntu ?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu wrote:Is it part of a regular Xubuntu ?
It should be in the repos. Just install it and start it by running compton in a terminal. I put it in the autostart menu. It's quite small also and moving windows is smooth.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It turns out to be the same with both compositor, the default one and compton that I just tried. I'm still wondering about linvst/wine.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Maybe you can ask the dev of linvst? I have no experience with win vsts.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:Is there anything that linVST (perhaps wine) has to do with the display of plugin windows regarding their stability when moved around ?

This is seen with the MUX modular synth which opens many windows depending on which module is edited. With about 3 or 4 windows opened, moving one quickly around makes the window resist the movement in a shaky. This happens a couple of times, then moving the window very slowly works.

What I noticed is that after doing that a few times with various MUX windows, the behaviour is inherited by the Melda plugins which otherwise never ever display such window behaviour.

I'm using linvst from git from about January 2019.

A MUX demo, which is what I use, is available. Simply copy the folder to the plugin directory, and add linvst.so.

https://www.mutools.com/mux-downloads.html
I tried it out and it seems to be ok (MX Linux, Wine Staging 4.8 ).

btw Melda might have something to do with it.

Melda either has a bug in it that's ok on real Windows or Wine just can't handle what Melda does.

It affects closing the Melda display window.

For the current LinVst 2.5 version I had to drop the Melda workaround as it didn't work with the changes that I added and I don't think that it was a very stable workaround anyway.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

ubuntuuser wrote:I tried it out and it seems to be ok (MX Linux, Wine Staging 4.8 ).

Melda either has a bug in it that's ok on real Windows or Wine just can't handle what Melda does.

For the current LinVst 2.5 version I had to drop the Melda workaround as it didn't work with the changes that I added and I don't think that it was a very stable workaround anyway.
Thanks for the reply. And thanks for mentioning the drop of the Melda workaround in linvst. That makes 'my' git version of linvst quite 'precious' to continue using Melda plugins. I will check it out by making sure to run MUX w/o any Melda plugins running.

UPDATE: I've checked it out, and it happens without any Melda plugin running. Just to be sure the same test is made, here's what I do, usign the default Basic Synth. I numbered the windows in order of appearance. First click on the 'Show Modular Area' then right-click on 'Polysynth' and Edit, then in the new window right-click on 'OSC1' and choose edit. The fourth window, OSC1, is the one that I move quickly around the Bitwig screen. That's the window that will be shaky and resist moving if moved too fast.

muxwindows.jpg
muxwindows.jpg (61.36 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

I use wine-4.5 (Staging). I have never upgraded wine and I never rolled it back after upgrade if needed, so I'm quite wary about doing that. I do not want to damage the music setup in such a way that it becomes unusable and days must be spent trying to fix it, possibly re-installing every single plugin or what not.

Will 'my' version of linvst work with wine staging 4.8 ? I have to keep the Melda plugins working.

What's involved in upgrading wine from 4.5 to 4.8 ? Is it possible to do it side-by-side and easily switch from one version to the other ? What about all installed plugins which have written files in the current ~/.wine/ ?
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote:I tried it out and it seems to be ok (MX Linux, Wine Staging 4.8 ).

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for mentioning the drop of the Melda workaround in linvst. That makes 'my' git version of linvst quite 'precious' to continue using Melda plugins. I will check it out by making sure to run MUX w/o any Melda plugins running.

UPDATE: I've checked it out, and it happens without any Melda plugin running. Just to be sure the same test is made, here's what I do, usign the default Basic Synth. I numbered the windows in order of appearance. First click on the 'Show Modular Area' then right-click on 'Polysynth' and Edit, then in the new window right-click on 'OSC1' and choose edit. The fourth window, OSC1, is the one that I move quickly around the Bitwig screen. That's the window that will be shaky and resist moving if moved too fast.

muxwindows.jpg

I use wine-4.5 (Staging). I have never upgraded wine and I never rolled it back after upgrade if needed, so I'm quite wary about doing that. I do not want to damage the music setup in such a way that it becomes unusable and days must be spent trying to fix it, possibly re-installing every single plugin or what not.

Will 'my' version of linvst work with wine staging 4.8 ? I have to keep the Melda plugins working.

What's involved in upgrading wine from 4.5 to 4.8 ? Is it possible to do it side-by-side and easily switch from one version to the other ? What about all installed plugins which have written files in the current ~/.wine/ ?

I tested the OSC window and it moves ok on my system/setup.

Sometimes upgrading Wine is done by the distro but sometimes not.

For the Wine/Systems I've used it went like this below.

Following the distro install instructions at WineHQ will install the latest Wine and the wineprefix gets upgraded and what's already in the wineprefix stays the same (installed apps/settings etc).

After a Wine upgrade it helps to run winecfg which will upgrade the wineprefix but the upgrade gets done anyway when starting a Wine based program for the first time after the Wine upgrade has been done.

With slower hard disks the wineprefix upgrade can take a while and that can interfere with LinVst's startup as it's waiting for the wineprefix to upgrade and there can be an initial LinVst timeout but it's no big deal.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Thanks. I'll gather my courage and try a wine update. One question remains though: will the current linvst that I use, the one with the Melda fix from git (January or so) work with an updated wine ? If not, I'll save the trouble of (trying to) upgrade wine and juts stay with the current setup for now. The shaky windows are not that bad, no deal breaker.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

jonetsu wrote:Thanks. I'll gather my courage and try a wine update. One question remains though: will the current linvst that I use, the one with the Melda fix from git (January or so) work with an updated wine ? If not, I'll save the trouble of (trying to) upgrade wine and juts stay with the current setup for now. The shaky windows are not that bad, no deal breaker.
Yes, the 2.4 LinVst version should be ok as LinVst is basically Wine version independent.

There are a whole chain of things that could cause some incompatibility with the GUI parts of Wine and distros have their own things as well, so it's hard to cover all cases.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I copy and label good .wine folders to a couple different backup drives,
as they hold reg info and install choices that take time to replicate.

My synaptic is set to store downloaded .deb files in the cache folder,
also backed up, so I have older wine-staging versions and apps should they be needed.
I think I had one possible regression in the last dozen staging releases,
when fiddling with some NI temptation.

I made an experimental setup in a 64 bit puppy linux last night,
and it's creator mentioned possible issues with the nvidia driver.
The vst windows in wine-staging 3.15/kernel 5.05/nouveau nvidia driver
were very jittery when moved about.
Cheers