Which DAW to pick?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

elsmandino
Established Member

Which DAW to pick?

Post by elsmandino »

Hello.

I have bought myself a Steinberg MKII UR22 audio interface and am looking to have a go at recording some guitar-based music.

I currently run the latest version of Mint on my desktop and would be grateful for some advice as to which piece of software to use.

Any pointers/advice would be much appreciated.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Which DAW to pick?

Post by sysrqer »

Ardour would probably suit you. Guitarix on the way in if you are not miking up an amp.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Vote for Ardour also from here.

And if you want best mixing UI, get Mixbus (Ardour with better mixer). They have pretty often discounts, so you can get it for 39$, or sometimes even 29$. https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

And if you start with Ardour, all your files will work also in Mixbus.
Last edited by tavasti on Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I tried a lot of daw's in the past couple of years.

Reaper is my favourite. Lightweight, fast, stable, straightforward, userfriendly.
Works perfect in Linux Mint Cinnamon (probably going to test it again in Xfce tonight)
It has a native linux version, and it installs fast and easy.
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
elsmandino
Established Member

Post by elsmandino »

Thanks guys - really appreciate that.

Usually, when there are lots of alternatives, I give them all a go. However, with something as complicated as DAWs, I cannot really take the time to learn how all of them work, in order to give them a good test run.

I think I am going to give Ardour a go and see how I get on with it (there seem to be loads of instructional videos on Youtube).

Further to Sysrqer's comment, I will indeed be plugging the guitar straight into the Steinberg, so I am going to need some software effects.

Guitarix looks absolutely amazing - is it easy to use this with Ardour?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

There are a lot of fine DAW's to pick from. Dunno which one is best for guitar recording. I like Qtractor. See this video about recording multiple takes (I think that's handy for guitarists) at 24 mins. 37 sec:

https://youtu.be/jpwGsNMUmQ8?t=1497

P.S. All the Qtractor tutorials from Demonic Sweaters are nice to begin with.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

tavasti wrote:Vote for Ardour also from here. And if you want best mixing UI, get Mixbus (Ardour with better mixer). They have pretty often discounts, so you can get it for 39$, or sometimes even 29$. https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

Erm... Isn't Ardour free for Linux?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
tavasti wrote:Vote for Ardour also from here. And if you want best mixing UI, get Mixbus (Ardour with better mixer). They have pretty often discounts, so you can get it for 39$, or sometimes even 29$. https://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

Ardour is, Mixbus isn't. Maybe I need to clarify my post.
Last edited by tavasti on Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Well strictly speaking no, there is a payment required for their official binaries. Mixbus is 'commercial' even though it is based on ardour.
elsmandino
Established Member

Post by elsmandino »

Thanks guys - really appreciate that.

Usually, when there are lots of alternatives, I give them all a go. However, with something as complicated as DAWs, I cannot really take the time to learn how all of them work, in order to give them a good test run.

I think I am going to give Ardour a go and see how I get on with it (there seem to be loads of instructional videos on Youtube).

Further to Sysrqer's comment, I will indeed be plugging the guitar straight into the Steinberg, so I am going to need some software effects.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

elsmandino wrote:
Yes, just start up ardour and guitarix and then route your card input to guitarix and then to ardour. I think there are guitarix plugins so you could just record in to ardour but I think you would be missing out on some of the power and flexibility that guitarix has.

If you have any trouble just post here and we will help.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

You can use Guitarix in a few different ways.

First is the way sysrqer just described: Guitar > interface > Guitarix (standalone) > DAW. This works really well as long as your latency is short. But guitarists tend to be very latency-sensitive, and my system isn't quite fast enough to use this setup. I have tweaked the sample size and other settings, but I haven't found anything with tolerable latency.

So the other way is: Guitar > interface > DAW > Guitarix (LV2 plugin). In this setup you have to do your performance without effects, and you record the dry signal into the DAW. Then you can spend as long as you want tweaking the settings in Guitarix to modify the sound. This avoids the latency problem, and opens up a world of options in the mixdown/mastering stage (which is honestly not always a good thing). But it is a bit harder as a musician to produce a good performance on a dry signal when you intend the part to have lots of effects.

You could also route the guitar to DAW and Guitarix (standalone) in parallel, which negates the problem of performance on dry signal, but still captures the dry signal for later processing. But this still has the potential latency issue.

Tradeoffs, as with all technology. Good luck!

(P.S. FWIW, I also vote for Ardour, but it sounds like you are already leaning that way.)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

elsmandino wrote:Usually, when there are lots of alternatives, I give them all a go. However, with something as complicated as DAWs, I cannot really take the time to learn how all of them work, in order to give them a good test run. [...]
I don't know if you have any experience w/ DAW's or recording on a computer but if your demands a really low you could try to start w/ Audacity. It's not a DAW (i.e. non-lineair) but "lineair" audio recording software. Plus point (just like w/ some DAW's) is that your experience w/ Audacity comes in handy if you have to work on a Windows or Apple computer. Its a really simple application. For simple record, encode, cut and paste work it's the go to app.

Succes! :)
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

milo wrote:So the other way is: Guitar > interface > DAW > Guitarix (LV2 plugin). In this setup you have to do your performance without effects, and you record the dry signal into the DAW. Then you can spend as long as you want tweaking the settings in Guitarix to modify the sound. This avoids the latency problem, and opens up a world of options in the mixdown/mastering stage (which is honestly not always a good thing). But it is a bit harder as a musician to produce a good performance on a dry signal when you intend the part to have lots of effects.
You can also use Guitarix standalone in this scenario. After recording, connect DAW output to guitarix, and then record guitarix output to daw again.

Third way would require bit more hw:

Connect guitar to DI-box, from di-box to audio interface, there to guitarix and then to daw. And sure, I would record both raw signal and guitarix-made, so that in case there is some fiddling with sounds, there is still raw signal available.

Because di-boxes have also direct output, put that to some multi-effect, to guitar amp or whatever that will give you some approximation of sound you are aiming at. For that purpose old second-hand multi effect will do, for example Digitech RP50, or some new chinese stuff like Ammoon.

So you are recording with guitarix but listening some real guitar effect / amp, without latency.

Edit: When selecting DI-box, make sure it has thru / direct option available. I have active Behringer DI-20 which has, costs 20.90€ at Thomann.
Last edited by tavasti on Thu May 23, 2019 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

tavasti wrote:Connect guitar to DI-box, from di-box to audio interface, there to guitarix and then to daw. And sure, I would record both raw signal and guitarix-made, so that in case there is some fiddling with sounds, there is still raw signal available.

Because di-boxes have also direct output, put that to some multi-effect, to guitar amp or whatever that will give you some approximation of sound you are aiming at. For that purpose old second-hand multi effect will do, for example Digitech RP50, or some new chinese stuff like Ammoon.

So you are recording with guitarix but listening some real guitar effect / amp, without latency.
Oooooo . . . great idea! Thanks, tavasti! I think I'll get me a DI box.