Spitfire Audio free sample libraries

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

empowerg
Established Member

Spitfire Audio free sample libraries

Post by empowerg »

Hello,

Spitfire Audio currently has some free sample libraries available on it's website:
https://www.spitfireaudio.com/labs/

If you know, Spitfire Audio has some very good sample libraries especially for orchestration.

I was successfull to download and install the libraries on Linux (and already used them!)

Here is what I did (Ubuntu Studio 18.04):
  1. You need to register yourself on the website
  2. I downloaded the Spitfire Audio application and installed it under wine
  3. Clicking on the "Get" button of the free sample libraries (you need to be logged in on the web site) brings up a window with a Download button. Clicking on this button tries to open a link with the spitfire audio application, which is not registered, so this fails. But the sample library is added to your account
  4. Running the Spitfire Audio application under wine shows the selected libraries, which you can install (they are quite large). Simply click the install button for the libraries, they are downloaded and installed.
  5. After download and install of the sample libraries, you can run the Spitfire Audio VST plugin from within a host (I used Carla). The plugin was installed at

Code: Select all

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VstPlugins/LABS (64 Bit).dll
    . I added this folder to the search path in Carla.
Then in Ardour I loaded a project, on a midi track added Carla, opened the plugin, routed everything and got the Spitfire sound. Very nice!

Maybe this is helpful for somebody...

[EDIT]
Ok, since there are problems with downloading the app do this:
Go to here: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/info/library-manager/, download the Windows Version and install it with wine (in my case a double click on the exe opened wine with it and installed correctly).

lg,
Michael
Last edited by empowerg on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
varpa
Established Member

Re: Spitfire Audio free sample libraries

Post by varpa »

This looks rather interesting. I was unable to download their app however. Their system seems to recognize that I'm not running Mac/Win and offers a dialog box that says "Download other". However, clicking that does nothing. There is also an option to download the Mac/Win app,but that too does nothing. I guess I need to boot into Windows to download their app, cannot do it in linux.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

I could not even get past login, says just 'something went wrong'

Edit: ok, login worked after a while, but downloading fails also https://youtu.be/xqlFKL1B3WY

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

empowerg
Established Member

Post by empowerg »

tavasti wrote:I could not even get past login, says just 'something went wrong'

Edit: ok, login worked after a while, but downloading fails also https://youtu.be/xqlFKL1B3WY
Oh, ok, sorry, forgot about this.

Yes, I got the app from the separate download page. Go to here: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/info/library-manager/, download the Windows Version and install it with wine (in my case a double click on the exe opened wine with it and installed correctly).

lg,
Michael
empowerg
Established Member

Post by empowerg »

varpa wrote:This looks rather interesting. I was unable to download their app however. Their system seems to recognize that I'm not running Mac/Win and offers a dialog box that says "Download other". However, clicking that does nothing. There is also an option to download the Mac/Win app,but that too does nothing. I guess I need to boot into Windows to download their app, cannot do it in linux.
You need to download the Windows version. See my post above on how to get the app to download.

lg,
Michael
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

For me that app fails on installing, 'Downloading additional files' fails to get vc_redist.x86.exe

empowerg
Established Member

Post by empowerg »

tavasti wrote:For me that app fails on installing, 'Downloading additional files' fails to get vc_redist.x86.exe
Hm, I didn't have this. No idea whats wrong.

lg,
Michael
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/

This product demo will install a version of the vc_redist.x86.exe

It might work with Spitfire, but it's still worth having the demo,
as it's a guitar pickup and acoustic guitar modeler plugin.
The sound will drop out occasionally until purchased.
22.6 meg download.
Good luck
jekblub

Post by jekblub »

tavasti wrote:For me that app fails on installing, 'Downloading additional files' fails to get vc_redist.x86.exe
Setup requires libgnutls if you run it in terminal with the "wine" command. Specifically 32-bit it seems, so on arch I installed lib32-gnutls - it worked after and the samples are downloading now :))
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

jekblub wrote:
Setup requires libgnutls if you run it in terminal with the "wine" command. Specifically 32-bit it seems, so on arch I installed lib32-gnutls - it worked after and the samples are downloading now :))
I seem to have both amd64 and i386 libgnutls30:
root@hermo:~# dpkg -l | grep gnutls
ii libcurl3-gnutls:amd64 7.58.0-2ubuntu3.6 amd64 easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library (GnuTLS flavour)
ii libcurl4-gnutls-dev:amd64 7.58.0-2ubuntu3.6 amd64 development files and documentation for libcurl (GnuTLS flavour)
ii libgnutls-openssl27:amd64 3.5.18-1ubuntu1 amd64 GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
rc libgnutls26:amd64 2.12.23-12ubuntu2.2+2 amd64 GNU TLS library - runtime library
rc libgnutls26:i386 2.12.23-12ubuntu2.2+2 i386 GNU TLS library - runtime library
ii libgnutls30:amd64 3.5.18-1ubuntu1 amd64 GNU TLS library - main runtime library
ii libgnutls30:i386 3.5.18-1ubuntu1 i386 GNU TLS library - main runtime library
ii libneon27-gnutls:amd64 0.30.2-3~ubuntu18.04.1 amd64 HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS enabled)
And running on terminal shows:
tavasti@hermo:~$ wine Downloads/SpitfireAudioWinSetup-3.0.39.exe
0034:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
003b:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
003b:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
003b:fixme:win:DisableProcessWindowsGhosting : stub
003b:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x20054): stub
003b:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x20054, L"Installing"): stub
003b:fixme:rstrtmgr:RmStartSession 0x49e3fc, 0, 0x49e400 stub!
003b:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonDestroy (0x20054): stub
003b:fixme:graphics:ShutdownBlockReasonCreate (0x20054, L"Installing Spitfire Audio."): stub
003b:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x20086 c049 1 (nil)
003b:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x2008e c049 1 (nil)
003b:fixme:msg:ChangeWindowMessageFilterEx 0x3008e c049 1 (nil)
003b:fixme:shell:SHAutoComplete stub
003c:fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW (0x18fe18,0x101e984,0x76c623e4),stub!
003c:fixme:ras:RasEnumConnectionsW RAS support is not implemented! Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!
003f:fixme:service:svcctl_EnumServicesStatusW resume index not supported
003c:fixme:ras:RasEnumEntriesW ((nil),(null),0x1dc2e0,0x101f1b4,0x1dbfcc),stub!
003c:err:secur32:schan_AcquireClientCredentials Could not find matching protocol
003c:fixme:crypt:CRYPT_RegControl CERT_STORE_CTRL_AUTO_RESYNC: stub
'Configure program to use LAN connection/winsock instead!' - that looks like hint, but maybe not?

bananaplug
Established Member

Post by bananaplug »

This is exciting - if i can get Spitfire stuff running on linux i might finally be able to be done with windows for good!

I'm on Ubuntu Studio 19.04. I have the Spitfire app running via wine and downloaded some sound libraries. However I can't seem to get the plugin recognized in Carla (or bitwig). I have added 'LABS (64 Bit).dll' to path as suggested but it doesn't show up when i try to add plugins in carla . . .

any thoughts ? Even very obvious suggestions welcome I'm fairly new to linux and this is the first time trying to run a windows vst on linux so i might be missing something obvious . . .

thanks !
Wakellor
Established Member

Post by Wakellor »

bananaplug wrote:This is exciting - if i can get Spitfire stuff running on linux i might finally be able to be done with windows for good!

I'm on Ubuntu Studio 19.04. I have the Spitfire app running via wine and downloaded some sound libraries. However I can't seem to get the plugin recognized in Carla (or bitwig). I have added 'LABS (64 Bit).dll' to path as suggested but it doesn't show up when i try to add plugins in carla . . .

any thoughts ? Even very obvious suggestions welcome I'm fairly new to linux and this is the first time trying to run a windows vst on linux so i might be missing something obvious . . .

thanks !
I would recommend trying Airwave from https://github.com/psycha0s/airwave instead. It's a much less painful way of opening vsts in Bitwig/Ardour and it's the one that I use. All it does is create a link for a vst as a .so file in your chosen vst folder and then, when you open it in your DAW, it... just opens! Hope this helps!

PS: I'm afraid I won't be able to help with installation on Ubuntu as I use Manjaro and Airwave was available on the AUR... Maybe it's in the Gnome App store? If not, there are some instructions on that Github page.
Wakellor
Established Member

Post by Wakellor »

Hey, guys, I have a problem of my own. The LABS application had been working for me for a very long time, but in the last month or so open, it has started showing that loading screen, then just crashing! The vst plugin is still working completely fine, though, and all the instruments I'd already downloaded work perfectly (in Bitwig using Airwave)... but I was wondering if anyone else has had the SA LABS Manager itself crash?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Wakellor wrote:Hey, guys, I have a problem of my own. The LABS application had been working for me for a very long time, but in the last month or so open, it has started showing that loading screen, then just crashing! The vst plugin is still working completely fine, though, and all the instruments I'd already downloaded work perfectly (in Bitwig using Airwave)... but I was wondering if anyone else has had the SA LABS Manager itself crash?
Perhaps this deserves its own topic?
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Wakellor wrote:The LABS application had been working for me for a very long time, but in the last month or so open, it has started showing that loading screen, then just crashing! The vst plugin is still working completely fine, though
Wrong place. Try asking developers first, something might have changed behind the curtains. Windows ecosystem is built around updates user either is not even notified of, or can't just decline. Also, contact WINE guys, they are always glad to see a user actually providing debugging info.

And here I'll put a note for those who will whine about me being “rude” again. You all complain that there are not enough sound processors and virtual instruments for Linux, which is almost entirely a blatant lie. You again, at the same time, use Windows software (often pirated) instead of using native alternatives, donating to promising or already useful projects, and such. And once more, it's you who go here with your problems with Windows software. If you were a little bit smarter, you'd find out that the more vendors know about people using their stuff on Linux, the higher chance they will port their stuff natively. GNU/Linux is still shockingly underestimated among audio software makers, and many of them still think there are zero pro audio users on this platform, so they clearly don't monitor any Linux forums. Anybody who wants Windows software to be ported to Linux should just open up their email client, write a big letter describing all the problems encountered when using WINE, and send it not only to the user support email, but also to the head of company at least. If such requests become a usual thing, a company will consider porting, whether they like it or not. They'll see demand and will respond.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.