Any guitarists have ideas for creating this effect with plugins? Shallow Water

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

Any guitarists have ideas for creating this effect with plugins? Shallow Water

Post by ufug »

I find this sound captivating. It seems like, in theory, I should be able to replicate what it is doing.

I messed around with various plug-in chains using Calf tape emulation and chorus stuff to try and replicate it but can't even get close. I think it's the randomness and also the "low pass gate" which responds to playing dynamics.

Fairfield Circuitry - Shallow Water
listenable at c6a7.org
merlyn
Established Member

Re: Any guitarists have ideas for creating this effect with plugins? Shallow Water

Post by merlyn »

This reminds me of a 'modulation delay' pedal I had. Chorus uses a short delay and the LFO is usually a sine wave at a fixed frequency. The pedal I had allowed modulation to be put on any length of delay and longer delay times created the obvious pitch bend heard in the Shallow Water.

It seems the Shallow Water uses a square wave for an LFO with a randomly varying frequency. The 'damp' control appears to round the edges off the square wave.

I'm sure it's possible. It might take a few plugins.
zoco
Established Member

Re: Any guitarists have ideas for creating this effect with plugins? Shallow Water

Post by zoco »

I go with merlyn. Experiment some with chorus, and perhaps with some phaser on it. Perhaps at the end extended with some slight reverb or echo.
And cut some high to get the stuffy muted sound.
This must do it for at least a big part if not all.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

@zoco I was actually saying that chorus won't do this. The Shallow Water effect needs a longer delay than chorus provides. The video @ufug posted says "there is no pattern for the ear to latch onto" and that also isn't chorus. Chorus has a pattern to the pitch variation -- usually a sine wave.

And then there's the low pass gate. To get Shallow Water it might be worth thinking about VCV rack, or PD where there are LFOs, filters and randomness.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Yeah I was going to suggest vcv rack for this, I think some of the randomness is created with a sample and hold patched to some parameters.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

the infamous lush life can create these effects by turning the LFO shape to random and turning the LFO amount and frequency up. It will only work for leads though, not chords (its monophonic). http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins/ ... l#lushlife
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Thanks for the great pointers!
merlyn wrote:To get Shallow Water it might be worth thinking about VCV rack, or PD where there are LFOs, filters and randomness.
I thought VCV was a synth--I can put audio through it? That might be interesting if yes. What is "PD"?

I can get close to some of the sounds this pedal can make, but the variability over time is where I get hung up: 1) the randomness of the pitch fluctuation and 2) the way the gate opens in response to the input.

I will play with the idea in Lush Life for sure, although monphoninc is a pretty significant drawback for my sloppy guitar playing. ;)
listenable at c6a7.org
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Yes, VCV has an audio in module.

PD is pure data. (Correctly abbreviated Pd :) ) It's a visual programming language.

https://puredata.info
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

merlyn wrote:@zoco I was actually saying that chorus won't do this. The Shallow Water effect needs a longer delay than chorus provides. The video @ufug posted says "there is no pattern for the ear to latch onto" and that also isn't chorus. Chorus has a pattern to the pitch variation -- usually a sine wave.

And then there's the low pass gate. To get Shallow Water it might be worth thinking about VCV rack, or PD where there are LFOs, filters and randomness.
I was talking about how to get such sound from an amp. Not about deep technical aspects or options. I confronted it as musician, not as technician. Different approaches i detected more often here.

I looked back. I said phaser but i meanth to say tremelo. Stupid me.
Tremelo with minor chorus (for the more then one waves) and perhaps some minor flangers for extra mystic. Some reverb or echo to adjust the total effect into the deeper see sound, the more delay you said.
It lookes like some don't fully realize which sounds you can create with common guitar effects. This can go up to totally as guitar unrecognizable spacy sounds. Play with these options an be surpriced.
An LFO does not pitch? Mind that the floating sound of waves is a pitch float.

And indeed low pass is often needed so very good possible but the sound in the video has high pass somewhere as it is not as high as guitar usually goes. Listen to it again. After finding the right effects i most likely have to turn back the trebble on the amp.
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Can't name actual plugins but for me it's simply regulated vibrato effect, like tape warble and of course EQ to do lo-pass and boost "booming" resonating frequency. Simply worn out analog tape machine effect.