Cut Through Recordings Plug-ins available in LV2 Format

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Cut Through Recordings Plug-ins available in LV2 Format

Post by tavasti »

CrocoDuck wrote:
tavasti wrote:More linux users mean more people potentially donating money to interesting projects, less money for Microsoft and Apple, so I think it is definitely good thing to happen.
Don't put too much faith into that. Users are really really not that likely to donate any money.
'More' is not amount. If you have 10 users, pretty sure nobody is donating. If you 100 million users, it is more likely.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

tramp wrote:the Commercial World take over Linux, and, there seems to be no way to stop this thinking.
So, Ardour is partially financed by Harrison Consoles and Waves (previously by SSL), VST3 is open source, Behringer transferred Tracktion Engine's source code to public domain, lots of plugins go open source (like those Spartan simplistic yet awesome Airwindows), and those are signs of “commercial world” taking over Linux? I didn't mention anything else (video/photo editors, CADs, web services, cloud, etc), I just tried to recall what I remember. If you didn't know, that “commercial multimedia world” is present in Linux ecosystem circa 1998 or even earlier, when they released “Titanic”. Since then, a rare movie was made without Linux and commercial software that runs on it (Autodesk Maya is still the most demanded, along with DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks). Now, Linux is used in almost every new synthesizer equipped with that fancy LCD touch screen, it powers almost all of the Internet, it nearly monopolized mobile devices market as bionic/Linux, known as Android OS, it took the lead in IoT applications, Automotive Linux is becoming the best automobile computer platform. Looks like it's Linux that took over commercial world and got its advantages and prizes for that, like: lots of hardware drivers in the kernel, new powerful file systems, gazillions of corporation backed open source software products (I bet you use one of them to read this forum, the most famous of them are called Chromium and Firefox), wide recognition even among “non-tech” people, military forces' trust (Pentagon and Russian Army rely primarily on Linux based systems), and a multitude of other stuff I'm too bored to list here. This is called progress, and I don't know why it's so painful for you to take. Yes, there's a hard competition in Linux software domain now, but how come is that bad? It only can mean we'll get more awesome stuff, be it paid or not, running on our favorite GNU/Linux. I personally have nothing against paid software if it's priced reasonably. I know that programmers are people too. They need to pay their checks, buy food, travel, renew their hardware… Enthusiasm is good, but life is cruel. We all still need a way to survive, and making good paid software available on GNU/Linux definitely isn't the worst. Would you protest against me selling my future CDs recorded, mixed and mastered on Linux? I think the answer would be “no”. By the way, Cut Through stuff is good and very reasonably priced. It's only $35 for all-in-one bundle, which is very down to earth compared to iZotope, Waves, FabFilter etc.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

Jack Winter wrote:I also fail to understand the hostility towards closed software.. IMO the more software we have available on linux, the better, be that libre, closed, free or pay
You've maybe never been caught out by buying a piece of software that has had a serious bug that doesn't go fixed, or the proprietor goes out of business and you can't use it on a new architecture, or the proprietor releases an update that significantly changes the purpose of the software and removes the ability to use the old version somehow. Or maybe you have had all these things happen to you but you're happy to have it roll over you. If I'm hostile to closed source software, it's because it's been hostile to me.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

Well I'm all for libre software! I'm also interested in getting my work done in the best/fastest way. So sometimes one might want to use some closed source software because it's the best tool for the job..

And yes I've experienced the drawbacks of commercial closed source software, still IMO no reason to be rude to people on this forum..
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Jack Winter wrote:still IMO no reason to be rude to people on this forum..
So why do you?
On the road again.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

If you think I'm rude, I don't agree with that.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Jack Winter wrote:If you think I'm rude, I don't agree with that.
Sure, but who is, you started with that, and now the gosts are here. 8)
On the road again.
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I don't want to point the finger at anyone, if I'd wanted to I'd already done so..

I just don't think it's productive for this forum to meet posts about commercial software with antagonism. The purpose of the forum is at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=271 Looks like there is no restriction that conversations have to be about Free/Libre software..

Quoting from it:

Mission Statement
Our mission is to facilitate discussion, learning, and discovery of music making on the Linux platform.

Values
We value open-minded, respectful and friendly avenues of communication.

We value a productive environment for educating Linux users of all skill levels.

We value the opportunities afforded to us by Free/Libre Open Source Software.

We value all projects and communities that join with us in making music on Linux.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Omg another train wreck.
ctrecordings
Established Member

Post by ctrecordings »

Hi everyone.
I'm the creator of Cut Through Recordings and I wanted to chime in. I'm sorry for the controversy that this has caused. I develop all of my plug-ins using Dplug and I've been advocating for better linux support. In the last few years we've gotten VST, VST3, and now LV2 working on linux which was huge for me. Personally I love linux and open source software in general. Dplug is completely open source but most of the plug-ins built on top of it are closed source. In some ways it feels wrong to sell software on linux but I would rather support linux than not support it. Nothing would make me happier than to see linux become the leading OS for music creation and production.

Reading through this thread inspired me a bit to open source at-least one of my plug-ins so I decided to open source POP Sound Shaper (one of the free plugins available on my site). If anyone is interested it's now on github here https://github.com/ctrecordings/POPSoundShaper.

I hope I'm not stepping out of line by commenting on this thread. Just wanted to share my thoughts :)
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

I'd like to thank you for this generous move, and also for making LV2 plugins on windows/osx!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I'm a bit tired of seeing every one of these threads derailed.
ctrecordings wrote: Reading through this thread inspired me a bit to open source at-least one of my plug-ins so I decided to open source POP Sound Shaper (one of the free plugins available on my site). If anyone is interested it's now on github here https://github.com/ctrecordings/POPSoundShaper.

I hope I'm not stepping out of line by commenting on this thread. Just wanted to share my thoughts :)
I'm glad you chimed in! That's great news! Thank you! I never expected any good to come from this arguing, but here we are. I really appreciate your efforts to support linux and open source while still making a living. I hope that you find great ways to continue to do both in the future!
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

I renew my inquiry : split Linux news section in "news FLOSS" and "news others".
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

All about an offtop;)
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

ctrecordings wrote:Hi everyone.
I'm the creator of Cut Through Recordings and I wanted to chime in. I'm sorry for the controversy that this has caused. I develop all of my plug-ins using Dplug and I've been advocating for better linux support. In the last few years we've gotten VST, VST3, and now LV2 working on linux which was huge for me. Personally I love linux and open source software in general. Dplug is completely open source but most of the plug-ins built on top of it are closed source. In some ways it feels wrong to sell software on linux but I would rather support linux than not support it. Nothing would make me happier than to see linux become the leading OS for music creation and production.

Reading through this thread inspired me a bit to open source at-least one of my plug-ins so I decided to open source POP Sound Shaper (one of the free plugins available on my site). If anyone is interested it's now on github here https://github.com/ctrecordings/POPSoundShaper.

In the 90s I worked as a systems programmer on mainframe systems. I maintained IBM's transaction monitor and database system IMS DB/DC. Very expensive software. But it was shipped as source code, so you could (and I did) make modifications, completely legally. You could share those modfications in user groups.

So … I don't see why commercial plugins couldn't be available as source code. Of course it makes no sense to use some copy protection since it can be removed. It's probably not very attractive for programmers who make a living out of it. But it is possible.

Open Source code doesn't have to be free as in free beer.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/