Most used Linux distribution?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Most used Linux distribution?

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

sysrqer wrote:I would guess centos or debian, or whatever is the standard for servers. Possibly gentoo if you count embedded, ChromeOS (I heard it is based on gentoo), server and desktop.

It's hard to say though, there's no accurate measure of usage. Do you go by downloads? I'm sure there are lots of ubuntu/mint downloads by Windows/Mac users just wanting to try it out but didn't install it, or arch/gentoo downloads where people didn't manage to install it properly and gave up.
I think that the TS just wanted to know what distibution to choose. On the server side I think you might be right. Pity we don't hear from the TS anymore...
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

JamesPeters wrote:
nikgnomicradio wrote:MX Linux is a good Debian distribution, they have a great best persistent Live ISO for USB, but not good for audio
It's great for audio...at least for me using Reaper. Using the stock kernel, no need to change the CPU frequency governor, and I'm getting half the latency with that I did in Windows 7 with no xruns and get approximately 30-35% more CPU (with apples-to-apples test projects done in Reaper, Linux version compared to the test I did in the Windows version). No need for any other changes either (no setting of a "RT" audio group, etc.--I tried a bunch of things and none made any noticeable difference in performance or latency so I reverted everything to "stock").

The previous version of MX Linux: I had to set the CPU frequency governor to "performance". With the current verison though, now it throttles "invisibly"/instantly with no problems at all.

I'd tried Liquorix kernel and all it did for me was increase my CPU use a bit. The stock kernel works just as well for low latency if not better.

Yes WINE isn't installed by default, but I won't use it anyway. Also I suspect it'd be easy to install. Installing QjackCTL from the repos was simple/instant (not that I need it if I just use ALSA with Reaper).

I understand some other distros have more audio apps installed by default. It seems with the repos availablle to MX Linux though, it's quite easy to add them. (I'd assume most people using audio apps would want to add the KX Studio repos.) MX Linux is also a relatively quickly updated distro, for the most part. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to most people for audio.

Just testing MX Linux on a persistent stick. Installed Renoise, KX repos and Cadence... works pretty good. It's based in Debian / Stable, but it uses a recent kernel. I think I will install this next. :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

FWIW,

I've heard of some people using MX with our AV Linux RT Kernel for music production.. Might be a possibility for those using MX who aren't getting the performance they want..

http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3719.0
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

As far as Mint LMDE2 is usable I'm gonna use it as together with MATE is best for me. LMDE3 is only with Cinnamon which turned out to be a slasher for jack-firewire audio, and messing up with installing MATE on top of it is rather not an optimal way. Probably my next will be pure Debian with MATE.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Except https://distrowatch.com I can't think of a homepage where ~all distributions with statistics are listed.

Is it about GNU/Linux in general or just audio distributions?

Whereby I would say personally in both areas:
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Vrangor wrote:As far as Mint LMDE2 is usable I'm gonna use it as together with MATE is best for me. LMDE3 is only with Cinnamon which turned out to be a slasher for jack-firewire audio, and messing up with installing MATE on top of it is rather not an optimal way. Probably my next will be pure Debian with MATE.
You could also go for 'ye olde Ubuntu and use Mate with that one. You can install and use pretty much any desktop environment you want in any Linux distro. You choose in the login screen which DE you'd like to use, set it default etc. Good luck.
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: You could also go for 'ye olde Ubuntu and use Mate with that one. You can install and use pretty much any desktop environment you want in any Linux distro. You choose in the login screen which DE you'd like to use, set it default etc. Good luck.
Yes I know, but although i don't have to do it everyday i really don't like the idea of installing distro with DE i don't want and installing and customisimg another DE on top of it which I'd have to do when continuing with LMDE3. And as you might see I prefer Debian over Ubuntu which I used for a long time until they shut down 10.04. I switched to LMDE nad never wanted to have anything to do with Ubuntu again. Even as Mint:) Thank you anyway. Cheers!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Vrangor wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote: I switched to LMDE nad never wanted to have anything to do with Ubuntu again.
(LMDE = Linux Mint Debian Edition) I love Debian too. Used the Stable edition of it once (3.1 Sarge) but it had packages so old that I couldn't install software from "external" repositories. I don't mind software that's a tiny little behind but Debian "Stable" had software that was so old that it wasn't stable. Does LMDE use the "Testing" branche of Debian?
Vrangor
Established Member

Post by Vrangor »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Does LMDE use the "Testing" branche of Debian?
No, LMDE is based on Debian stable. It's true that stable goes pretty outdated just before new release arrives, but I've rarely had dependency problems with LMDE2. The only external repo I use is KxStudio, and rarely install anything from "outside" except Firefox which I have running in the latest version without any problems. To be honest I had more dependency problems using Debian testing in the past:).
bmarkham
Established Member

Post by bmarkham »

I doubt it is the most used at this point, but I have to admit I am still using KXStudio 14.1 because it just plain works with all the bells and whistles I have on there. Yes, I realize security is getting dicey while I hold out for falktx to continue ... but I backup my work and I don't have nuclear launch codes on it. (I only use it to do music.)

Of course on the Windows side I am still using Windows 7 too for music production.

If something works and it ain't broken, I try not to fix it. lol
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

It turns out that I was wrong about my MX Linux install having no tweaks. Installing qjackctl had automatically added my user name to the RT group and set it for high priority. I discovered this when I did a fresh install of MX a little while ago, since qjackctl isn't installed by default and my performance in Reaper was suffering. I posted about it on the Reaper forums here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?p ... tcount=105

Other than that, my MX install has no tweaks. That I'm aware of. :)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

JamesPeters wrote:It's great for audio...at least for me using Reaper. Using the stock kernel, no need to change the CPU frequency governor, and I'm getting half the latency with that I did in Windows 7 with no xruns and get approximately 30-35% more CPU (with apples-to-apples test projects done in Reaper, Linux version compared to the test I did in the Windows version)....

The previous version of MX Linux: I had to set the CPU frequency governor to "performance". With the current verison though, now it throttles "invisibly"/instantly with no problems at all.

I'd tried Liquorix kernel and all it did for me was increase my CPU use a bit. The stock kernel works just as well for low latency if not better.

It turns out that I was wrong about my MX Linux install having no tweaks. Installing qjackctl had automatically added my user name to the RT group and set it for high priority.
GMaq wrote:heard of some people using MX with our AV Linux RT Kernel for music production.. Might be a possibility for those using MX who aren't getting the performance they want..http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3719.0
Haven't tried it and probably won't either but since it just popped up elsewhere on a screen close to here...

MXStudio - unofficial respin

2.3 GB base iso. MX is about to go Buster and the MX Studio roller seems to be considering spinning along. From his release note, August last year:
Default kernel is the current Liquorix from the MX Package Installer. This is a low-latency kernel with full preemption.....tweaked using raboof's realtimeconfigquickscan script from https://github.com/raboof/realtimeconfi ... n.....vast number of plugins in LV2 and LinuxVST with a few LADSPA ones.....Dragonfly Reverb and the Linux Studio Plugins (LSP) pack.

Included applications: Ardour, Audacious, Audacity, Cadence, Carla, Catia, Claudia, DeaDBeef, DeVeDe, Easytag, FFADO Mixer, Guitarix, Handbrake, Helm, Hydrogen, Meterbridge, Mudita24, MuSE, QJackctl, Qtractor, Rosegarden, SimpleScreenRecorder, Yoshimi, ZynAddSubFX

....nothing has been removed from the stock MX-17.1 August snapshot version.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

At least among my friends, Ubuntu is clear number 1.

And when looking for instructions for installing some random software, instructions (or even packages) are in most cases for ubuntu.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

gennargiu
Established Member

Post by gennargiu »

Hi, i have a testing fabulous mxstudio Horizon at moment in the virtualbox 6 on windows 10,but in the future i have a install direct on my asus x54c laptop with 6 giga of ram and i3 processor and on desktop computer hp elite 8200 sff with i3 processor 3,1 ghz and 16 giga ram. At moment native i stay used on this two computer Ubuntu Studio 19.04 disco dingo in dual boot with windows 10. I also used avlinux 64 for a long time, which I find an excellent distribution. I'd like it if mxstudio's development went ahead with a new distro based on debian buster repositories + the latest updates from kxstudio a few days ago. Thank you for your work and passion for the GNU world dedicated to audio production. Best regards ;)

Gennaro (from Naples-Italy)
Hp Elite 8200 3,1 Ghz - 16 Giga Ram Hd 2 Terabyte - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8 - Mixbus 7
Asus X54c - Mx Linux 19.4-Ardour 6.8- Mixbus 7-RPI3 + Raspbian Buster- Rpi4 (4giga ram)