Snapshot for controller

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

AndyF
Established Member

Snapshot for controller

Post by AndyF »

First a big thanks for your awesome muse3-sequencer!

I´m a newbie - and I wondered how to use the snapshot-for-all-controller-function under audio (I don´t know the original name, because I´m on german version). I´m using only MIDI-tracks - so could it be, that this function has no effect on MIDI-tracks?

I´m searching, how I can "save" my mixer-settings in corresponding tracks easily.

regards, Andy
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Snapshot for controller

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hello. The controller snapshot is for audio controllers only. There is currently no corresponding feature for the midi.

How audio controller snapshot works: Every audio controller, from volume and pan controls to plugin controls,
can be automated to follow pre-programmed settings, visible in the form of a graph.
Each controller can be manually automated by drawing a graph for it, or by using the features of right-clicking any audio
control and clicking the 'Automation' menu items in the popup menu.
Any automation values stored are for the current play head cursor position (the red cursor).
Then move the play head position to a new position and enter some more values.
When the song is played back these controllers will 'automate', that is, automatically move to the stored values.

So the 'snapshot' feature is a convenient way to record ALL the controllers at once (that's every one of them in the song),
at the given current play head position.

Currently there is no such grand 'snapshot' feature for the midi controllers.
However you can still automate each midi controller manually by using the midi controller graphs in the Pianoroll or Drum Editor,
or by right-clicking any midi control (volume, pan, other controller etc.) and clicking the 'Automation' menu items in the popup menu.

Hope that helps.
Tim.
AndyF
Established Member

Post by AndyF »

Hello Tim,

thanks for your reply and explanation.

Is it possible to record controller changes e. g. by mixer (with MIDI tracks)? Would be a very nice feature...
Recording "real" MIDI controller messages is of course a workaround.

regards, Andy
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Ah, a logical question, if I understand 'Can the midi knobs and mixer slider be automated by moving them, just like the audio controls?'
Unfortunately no, the visual midi controls are not as advanced as the visual audio controls.

However the visual audio controls, such as volume, pan and plugin controllers, can be automated while the transport is playing or recording,
and it will follow your every move and replay your moves, just like a real mixer ;-)
See the box at the bottom of every audio track mixer strip called 'Automation' for settings.
AndyF
Established Member

Post by AndyF »

Hello Tim,

thanks for your fast reply. I don´t find "Automation"-settings in Mixer-Window or in track-info-sidebar - but I found context-menu "Automation" on e. g. Volume-slider (hard to find, you have to right-click directly on the slider-knob). There you can add an event with this controller settings on actual position. It´s enough for me at the moment - so a big thanks! But where´s "Automation"-settings hidden?

regards, Andy
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

At the bottom of each audio track's mixer strip is a box that tells how to
respond to automation movements and whether to play them back.
There is 'off', 'read' mode, 'touch' mode and 'write' mode.
mixer_2.jpeg
mixer_2.jpeg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 969 times
AndyF
Established Member

Post by AndyF »

Hello Tim,

unfortunately this button are not available for MIDI-tracks (I see them on Wave-tracks, though). I'm on 3.1pre installed on LinuxMint 19.1.

regards, Andy