Librem 5 - smartphone based on Debian > android-free \o/

This topic was created, as requested, for all Linux OS powered mobile devices other than Android.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

asbak
Established Member

Re: Librem 5 - smartphone based on Debian > android-free \o/

Post by asbak »

This Pinephone looks like a more palatable Linux phone option. It's still early days and in development (meaning not yet ready for the market) but the pricing is more aimed at the working man & woman instead of latté sipping Cali trustfund hipsters with a pet cause.

Yes I am aware that it's not yet fully developed or ready for the consumer market.

https://liliputing.com/2019/01/pinephon ... -soon.html

Pricing appears to be around $149 for a devkit

More info & pics here
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php ... &pid=43850
Last edited by asbak on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

asbak wrote:This Pinephone looks like a more palatable Linux phone option. It's still early days and in development (meaning not yet ready for the market) but the pricing is more aimed at the working man & woman instead of latté sipping Cali trustfund hipsters with a pet cause.

Yes I am aware that it's not yet fully developed or ready for the consumer market.

https://liliputing.com/2019/01/pinephon ... -soon.html
Is it 100% free software? Remember the goal of Librem is not to release a "Linux" phone, it's to release a free phone and the obvious software choice happens to be GNU/Linux. But if the PinePhone isn't free then it's not really a competing product. If it is free then I'd like one :)
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

A high-power high quality Chinese Android smartphone costs < $200.

The special pre-order price on the Purism website for Q3 shipping is $649, not $249. That's a gentrified latté sipping hipster (image of purism CEO moderated away for readibility) price for folks who are looking to discuss something edgier than an Apple at their Starbucks meetups.

Yes I understand that development costs time & money and that costs need to be recovered but at that kind of a price they are obviously not aiming for the mass market.

Security claims also need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Sure it may well be that this device doesn't spy as intensely as a dedicated Apple or Google smartspy phone but one should also be realistic and realise that there's no escaping the claws of Big Brother. They'll still get you one way or the other. Neither this nor any other "security" phone will stop them.

Unlike this device the Pinephone appears to be priced for the person in the street. Power and my hard earned fiat $ to the proletariat comrades.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

d.healey wrote:Remember the goal of Librem is not to release a "Linux" phone, it's to release a free phone
Yes of course, and cigarettes will grow on trees and taps will be filled with Johnny Walker Blue Label.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

asbak wrote:Yes of course, and cigarettes will grow on trees and taps will be filled with Johnny Walker Blue Label.
:?
David Healey
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

asbak wrote:The special pre-order price on the Purism website for Q3 shipping is $649, not $249. That's a gentrified latté sipping hipster (image of purism CEO moderated away for readibility) price. Yes I understand that development costs time & money and that costs need to be recovered but at that kind of a price they are obviously not aiming for the mass market.
I don't quite understand why you feel the need to shit on this project so much. Just don't buy one and support other projects instead?
asbak wrote:Unlike this device the Pinephone appears to be priced for the person in the street. Power and my hard earned fiat $ to the proletariat comrades.
I completely agree there is a lot of value in building a hopefully-affordable alternative as well. But why not promote the advantages of the Pinephone instead of wailing at the disadvantages of the Purism (granted, the price is indeed steep) so much?
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

d.healey wrote:
asbak wrote:Yes of course, and cigarettes will grow on trees and taps will be filled with Johnny Walker Blue Label.
:?
Why the :?

Do you seriously believe that free phones and free everything for everybody is just around the corner?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

asbak wrote:Do you seriously believe that free phones and free everything for everybody is just around the corner?
You did understand he meant 'free as in freedom', not 'free as in free beer', right?
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

raboof wrote:
asbak wrote:The special pre-order price on the Purism website for Q3 shipping is $649, not $249. That's a gentrified latté sipping hipster (image of purism CEO moderated away for readibility) price. Yes I understand that development costs time & money and that costs need to be recovered but at that kind of a price they are obviously not aiming for the mass market.
I don't quite understand why you feel the need to shit on this project so much. Just don't buy one and support other projects instead?
asbak wrote:Unlike this device the Pinephone appears to be priced for the person in the street. Power and my hard earned fiat $ to the proletariat comrades.
I completely agree there is a lot of value in building a hopefully-affordable alternative as well. But why not promote the advantages of the Pinephone instead of wailing at the disadvantages of the Purism (granted, the price is indeed steep) so much?

The main advantage of the Pinephone is obviously directly related to the main disadvantage of the Purism product.

I promoted the advantage of the Pinephone in a discussion related to Android alternatives and pointed out that security claims are a minefield and that the end user should maintain an open mind and take a sensible and realistic approach.

What's the problem?
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

raboof wrote:
asbak wrote:Do you seriously believe that free phones and free everything for everybody is just around the corner?
You did understand he meant 'free as in freedom', not 'free as in free beer', right?
What I understand is that there's a substantial price premium at work at one product vs another, and that it's in the freedom loving public's interest to be aware of alternatives.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

asbak wrote:What's the problem?
Idunno, all the bickering about "latté sipping Cali trustfund hipsters" seemed a bit sour. Perhaps it wasn't meant as such.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

asbak wrote:it's in the freedom loving public's interest to be aware of alternatives.
But is the Pinephone free? It is only of interest to a potential Librem customer (like me) if it is free.
David Healey