VeeSeeVSTRack for Linux [official beta binaries available-updated 28 April 2019]

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

Re: VeeSeeVSTRack for Linux [official beta binaries available]

Post by davephillips »

jonetsu wrote:
davephillips wrote:A note to the intrepid...
I don't see the 'intripidness' in there. It installs and runs in a snap (Bitwig 2.4.3).
Did you build it from the git sources ? My "intrepid" was to caution the unwary that atm the latest version is officially available only in source for Linux users. I've put up a Linux binary package on my ftp site but that's an unofficial build. Nevertheless, anyone's welcome to it:

veeseevstrack_0_6_1_lin64_bin-08March2019b.tar.gz
The 'intripidness' is rather found when trying to make sounds out of it. 8)
Indeed. Another caution to the unwary. :)

Best,

dp
Last edited by davephillips on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

davephillips wrote: Did you build it from the git sources ? My "intrepid" was to caution the unwary that atm the latest version is officially available only in source for Linux users.
I see. I built the regular VCV Rack in a snap and I quickly - and the key word is 'quickly' - tried the VST version by choosing a linux makefile that looked like a main one and renaming it Makefile, and there was a problem with a config.h file not found. Then I thought that it surely needs the Steinberg VST SDK and perhaps a few other details that unfortunately - still keeping 'quick' in mind - are not seemingly documented.
davephillips wrote:I've put up a Linux binary package on my ftp site but that's an unofficial build. Nevertheless, anyone's welcome to it:
Currently:

Code: Select all

wget http://linux-sound.org/veeseevstrack_0_6_1_lin64_bin-08March2019b.tar.gz
--2019-03-09 10:03:27--  http://linux-sound.org/veeseevstrack_0_6_1_lin64_bin-08March2019b.tar.gz
Resolving linux-sound.org (linux-sound.org)... 107.20.222.70
Connecting to linux-sound.org (linux-sound.org)|107.20.222.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2019-03-09 10:03:27 ERROR 404: Not Found.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

jonetsu wrote:
davephillips wrote:I've put up a Linux binary package on my ftp site but that's an unofficial build. Nevertheless, anyone's welcome to it:
Currently:

wget http://linux-sound.org/veeseevstrack_0_6_1_lin64_bin-08March2019b.tar.gz
...HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2019-03-09 10:03:27 ERROR 404: Not Found.
Fixed the URL, my bad. Let me know if you have any further problems getting it.

Best,

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

GMaq
Established Member

Re: VeeSeeVSTRack for Linux [official beta binaries available-updated 11 March 2019]

Post by GMaq »

@davephillips

Thank you so much for all your work on this, I'm having some trouble building it (I need 64 and 32 bit binaries).

I've followed the instructions on the git project page, I have the Steinberg SDK and have adjusted the path to where my folder is, I have all the necessary build dependencies but I'm getting this:

tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ . setenv_linux.sh
tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ alias m="make -j 20 makefile.linux"
tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ m allmake: Nothing to be done for 'makefile.linux'.
make: *** No rule to make target 'all'.  Stop.
tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ 
Any suggestions, or are you using a different set of commands?
davephillips
Established Member

Re: VeeSeeVSTRack for Linux [official beta binaries available-updated 11 March 2019]

Post by davephillips »

GMaq wrote:@davephillips

Thank you so much for all your work on this, I'm having some trouble building it (I need 64 and 32 bit binaries).

I've followed the instructions on the git project page, I have the Steinberg SDK and have adjusted the path to where my folder is, I have all the necessary build dependencies but I'm getting this:

tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ . setenv_linux.sh
tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ alias m="make -j 20 makefile.linux"
tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ m allmake: Nothing to be done for 'makefile.linux'.
make: *** No rule to make target 'all'.  Stop.
tester@avlinux64box:/media/DATA1/Packaging/VEESEEVSTRACK/VeeSeeVSTRack$ 
Any suggestions, or are you using a different set of commands?
Hi G,

Try this instead:

$ alias m="make -f makefile.linux"
$ cd dep
$ m clean
$ m bin
$ cd ..
$ m clean
$ m shared_lib
$ cd plugins
$ m clean
$ m bin
$ cd ..
$ m clean
$ m lib
$ m bin
Let me know how it works for you. If you hit the wall with anything, let me know, I may have already sorted it out.

Best,

dp
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

It could be that speexdsp-SpeexDSP-1.2rc3 has to be built first.

autoreconf -i --force
./configure
make
Not sure at this point about 'make install' as libspeexdsp is already installed by Ubunbtu and is needed by major components - do not really want to mess with that. Again, this is from a quick look around, nothing deep.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

It looks like builders might be running into some problems I encountered and chalked up to my ancient Fedora 23 and its GCC 5.3.1. To wit:

@jonetsu - You're right, you may have to build libspeex by hand in its directory, but no, don't run make install. You may also need to create a directory at dep/lib/linux_gcc/x64/. If you follow the build sequence in my message to Gmaq you should be all set then for the steps in dep:

cd dep
m clean
m bin
That should install glew.a, jansson.a, and libspeexdsp.a in dep/lib/linux_gcc/x64/.

@Gmaq - You might also encounter problems with certain plugin builds. If so, let me know which ones, I'll check 'em out and see if there are anomalies in the build process for them. Also, be aware that any 32-bit build is completely unsupported by the dev, he's signed off on that issue. :)

I actually didn't think anyone else would bother trying to build it. It's not difficult, you just have to watch out for a few gotchas. I found that at least one plugin codebase refused to build until I rewrote the offending code to accommodate my aging compiler, but you should be safe if you're using a more up-to-date distro. The reference distribution for VCV Rack is Ubuntu 18.04, IIRC.

Sorry for the confusion, let me know how things work out.

Best,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@davephillips @jonetsu

Thanks for the tips, jonetsu was right about libspeexdsp

I poked the bear for an hour and a half last night, In AV Linux (Debian Stretch) I can choose either GCC 5 or GCC 6, neither succeeded.. My builds were failing at the end because for some reason the '/lib/linux_gcc/x64/' folder doesn't get created even if the 'deps' part of the build succeeds..

Anyway, after maintaining 40+ packages for the previous AV Linux 6.X I kind of swore off these kind of trips down the rabbit hole so I do appreciate the help and suggestions however if the developer has washed his hands of 32bit then I don't need to dirty mine, actually the next AV Linux ISO coming in April 2019 will be the end of the 32bit releases anyway. I have no lack of experience with compilers and I would continue this as a brain-teasing challenge but it is a peripheral concern and I have bigger fish to fry currently.

In the meantime Dave it is a VERY good thing that you build with an older version of GCC, (all serious plugin developers should build their binaries against older gcc versions and libc versions for wider compatibility). You are actually solving my problem... 32bit is a dead end and your 64bit builds are working for me.. :wink:

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and for being so generous with your time to provide these builds, it is appreciated by many!

Glen
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

GMaq wrote: I poked the bear for an hour and a half last night, In AV Linux (Debian Stretch) I can choose either GCC 5 or GCC 6, neither succeeded.. My builds were failing at the end because for some reason the '/lib/linux_gcc/x64/' folder doesn't get created even if the 'deps' part of the build succeeds..
Yes, I mentioned that in my message to jonetsu, you need to create it yourself. Probably a minor repair in one of the makefiles, but I'm too lazy to find it.
... your 64bit builds are working for me..
Very good to know.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions and for being so generous with your time to provide these builds, it is appreciated by many!
You're quite welcome. I hope more people get introduced to VCV Rack, it's a great environment for so many purposes. Many synthesis techniques are more clear to me now, and I find VCV Rack to be most amenable for making my own sounds, moreso than VST plugins (probably because there are already so many great presets for those plugins).

Have fun on the Rack, G ! :)

Best regards,

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

@jonetsu and @Gmaq,

Just a note to say "Thank you!" for the feedback. I've filed an Issue on github detailing the build problems, hopefully the developer will respond soon.

Best,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@davephillips

Ooops I had missed that note to jonetsu about manually creating the folder structure.. :oops:

Ugh... well I hate getting defeated so my curiousity was once again piqued so I gathered the information for the current state of the source code compilation into a little README, perhaps it will help define what the developers need to fix in the source code folder:
*VeeVeeVSTRack COMPILATION WORKAROUND (FOR NOW)

*Create this folder structure in the source code '/dep' folder:
/lib/linux_gcc/x64/

*First build /VeeSeeVSTRack/dep/speexdsp-SpeexDSP-1.2rc3/ manually:

*Make sure 'autogen.sh' is executable in its properties
$ ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure
$ make

*Set Linux build environment
*Make sure your Steinberg SDK file path is set in the 'setenv_linux.sh script':
$ . setenv_linux.sh

*Create Linux Makefile:
$ alias m="make -f makefile.linux"

*Build the Dependencies:
$ cd dep
$ m clean
$ m bin

*Change back to source folder and build shared libraries:
$ cd ..
$ m clean
$ m shared_lib

*Manually copy these created files from their respective folders in /deps:
glew.a, jansson.a and libspeexdsp.a to /deps/lib/linux_gcc/x64

*Move to the Plugins folder to build the plugins:
$ cd plugins
$ m clean
$ m bin

*Change back to the source folder and build the VST plugin from the built components:
$ cd ..
$ m clean
$ m lib
$ m bin
I still don't have a build unfortunately, I got deep into the plugins build and something in a trowaSoft plugin made my compiler very unhappy... :roll:

gcc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
Does that look familiar?
Last edited by GMaq on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I'd liked to continue a bit more with this but I simply do not have the time, being quite immersed in C++14 object-oriented multitasking. And trying to get another song out there.

Everyone agrees that the docs regarding the build are not in a very good state. I run the same reference system, Ubunbtu 18.04 (well, Xubuntu 18.04 (1)) and the provided instructions simply do not work. Hopefully the work done here will contribute to update the build documentation !

Cheers.

(1) gcc (Ubuntu 7.3.0-27ubuntu1~18.04) 7.3.0
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

GMaq wrote:...
I still don't have a build unfortunately, I got deep into the plugins build and something in a trowaSoft plugin made my compiler very unhappy... :roll:

gcc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1plus)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
Does that look familiar?
Not for this build, but yes, I've got errors like that. I simply run the build again to see if it throws the same error at the same point. If not, good. If so, then I hit Google and the debugger to hunt for a possible solution. Btw, I don't find any edited files in the trowaSoft directory, but that's not conclusive.

Does the error occur for both builds ? (32 & 64-bit)

Sorry I can't be more helpful about that, I'm no good at debugging C++. I can tell you that C++ is an infamous pig when it comes to memory usage during builds, hopefully your machine has plenty of gas for the trip.

Best,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Re: VeeSeeVSTRack for Linux [official beta binaries available-updated 16 March 2019]

Post by GMaq »

@davephillips

Thanks for your reply, my iron is pretty old here, my Desktop is at least 10 years old with 4Gb RAM and my laptop is one of the first DELL Centrino Duo's, still works like a charm at 12 years old! :lol:

I will try another plugins build and see if it fails again... in the meantime I've encountered another snag... If I use your binary in Ardour 5.12 (official Ardour bundle) the plugin loads on a MIDI channel just fine, the UI looks fine...BUT If I click on the 'open' folder on the VeeSeeVSTRack UI to load a preset Ardour goes poof...

Are you or any other users of the VST Rack in Ardour seeing this?

In other news I was able to load VeeSeeVSTRack from Dave's binary in the latest Carla update and it launches, loads presets and makes sounds.. :)

EDIT:

Unfortunately in testing with native Linux Reaper 5.972 the Rack VST causes the Plugin scan to fail and Reaper fails to launch, removing the Rack plugin fixes the issue here.. (note this was with the VeeSeeVSTRack placed in /usr/lib/vst where all other system plugins are placed)