Airwave & LinVST troubles

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Airwave & LinVST troubles

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Hi there,

I would like to use 32 bit AND 64 bit Windows VSTi's in Muse. Tried LinVST and Abique. They must be compiled from source w/ the gcc-multilib g++-multilib packages installed on your system which leads to dependency hell on my current system so tey're no go.

So I tried Airwave's .deb package from https://github.com/psycha0s/airwave/releases. Installed just fine me. :)

Problem is that I have 2 Wine prefixes (wine bottles): a very, very old 32 bit one and a newly created 64 bit one. Since my favorite Minimoog VSTi's are 32 bit I do not want to delete the 32 bit prefix.

No matter what I try, the Airwave .so that I created will not show up in Muse as a Linux native VST... Airwave gives me no errors. Anybody got an idea how to get Airwave working on my system?

P.S. I know how to use the uber-brilliant Carla for this, however it opens a separate window for every VST which I may not close, else Muse crashes.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Airwave troubles

Post by sysrqer »

Why do you need to compile linvst?
32 bit vst's running under the 64bit LinVst versions need a distros multiarch to be enabled (sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib for Ubuntu/Debian).
You just need to install those packages.

Just move your 32 bit plugins in to the 64bit prefix (or install them if it's a crappy installed that puts stuff all over the place). You could probably even move the whole contents of your 32 bit prefix in to the right places in the 64 bit prefix.

Pretty sure airwave is dead...the linvst developer posts here regularly so you should be able to get things sorted out.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:Why do you need to compile linvst?
I cant find pre-compiled binaries on LinVST's website: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst
sysrqer wrote:
32 bit vst's running under the 64bit LinVst versions need a distros multiarch to be enabled (sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib for Ubuntu/Debian).
You just need to install those packages.
I know. I do that w/ my package manager (Synaptic) but it will not install the multilib packages. Dependency hell. It complains that certain (gcc) packages need to be uninstalled but that is not possible because if I do that then my system is crippled (a lot depends on gcc you know).
sysrqer wrote: Just move your 32 bit plugins in to the 64bit prefix (or install them if it's a crappy installed that puts stuff all over the place). You could probably even move the whole contents of your 32 bit prefix in to the right places in the 64 bit prefix.
[/qoute]
I don't know which prefix LinVST is going to use...
sysrqer wrote: Pretty sure airwave is dead...the linvst developer posts here regularly so you should be able to get things sorted out.
Thank you for that info. I'm not going to do anything w/ deprecated software. I uninstalled Airwave now.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

P.S. When I compile LinVST do the copy/rename linvst.so thing then I get the following error on the command line when starting Muse:
dssi-vst-server: ERROR: Couldn't load VST DLL "Model_Mini.dll" This LinVst version is for 64 bit vsts only.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Which distro (and version) are you running?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:Which distro (and version) are you running?
Mint 17.1 (which is based on Ubuntu 14.04) LTS unti april this year. I think that the problem lies in the gcc version that I installd (probably to compile something from source code that required a new version of gcc). I've got:
  • gcc 4.8
  • gcc 4.9
  • g++4.8
I've got multilib versions of g++ and gcc version 4.8. I cannot remove gcc ver. 4.8 and neither can I remove gcc ver. 4.9 (that will remove basic things like Alsa etc.). Ver 4.9 of gcc does not have the option to install a multilib version of it and, like I siad, neither can I remove it...
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I have 2 Wine prefixes (wine bottles): a very, very old 32 bit one and a newly created 64 bit one.
Matthew 9:17 wrote:Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Matthew 9:17 wrote:Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.
That was way before our modern Age of Recycling.
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Airwave & LinVST troubles

Post by jonetsu »

By the way, there's a section dedicated to running Windows VSTs.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: It complains that certain (gcc) packages need to be uninstalled but that is not possible because if I do that then my system is crippled (a lot depends on gcc you know).
Well, no. Nothing depends on gcc on a running system. gcc is a compiler and that's it. It has nothing to do with running software. You must be thinking of libc.

And so, the Debian binary packages at: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases/ cannot do the job ?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:I cant find pre-compiled binaries on LinVST's website: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst
That was indicated in the 14th line of text from the beginning of the description at the above link. I posted it in the reply above.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Finally understood part of the crypic github readme (https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/tree/master) and what ubuntuuser in this LM forum topic meant.
  1. Download the LinVST source code from github.
  2. Unzip the archive.
  3. Rename the file "Makefile" to "Makefile-old".
  4. Rename "Makefile-embed-6432" to "Makefile" (hat trick).
  5. Compile- and install the source code with: sudo make clean; make; make install.
  6. Copy the file "linvst.so" that you now have in the source tree in the "vst" directory to the dir in which you keep your 64 and 32 bit Windows VST's (e.g. ~/vst/).
  7. Example: change the name of "linvst.so" to "Model_Mini.so" if you have a Windows VST called "Model_Mini.dll" (i.e. a VSTi of the Minimoog).
  8. To be on the safe side rename linvst.so to linvst.so.rename_me (if there's still a copy of it in ~/vst/).
Now start a Linux native DAW and look for a Linux Native VST called "Model_Mini". For me it works in Carla, I can see the VSTi in Tracktion7 (dunno yet how to use VSTi's in it), in Qtracktor and in Muse. Qtracor appears to go completely nuts on them though. All knobs and buttons on my virtual synths move about frantically.
Last edited by Linuxmusician01 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

jonetsu wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:I cant find pre-compiled binaries on LinVST's website: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst
That was indicated in the 14th line of text from the beginning of the description at the above link. I posted it in the reply above.
Aha. Now I see it. I already wrote the post above. My apologies.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I tried the binary version and it works all right. Although ubuntuuser has added recently a fix for the Melda plugins, so I run a locally compiled version now, only supporting 64-bit plugins though.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sysrqer wrote: Pretty sure airwave is dead...the linvst developer posts here regularly so you should be able to get things sorted out.
Dead or not, for me it seems to be working, and with it I get working some plugins which don't work with carla / linvst.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM