Airwave VST bridge

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mk2
Established Member

Re: Airwave VST bridge

Post by Mk2 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:This topic is quite old and it appears that the package of Airwave is not actively maintained/updated anymore. In this topic @sysrqer says that airwave, unfortunately, "is pretty much dead".

As for LinVST. There are pre-compiled binaries of it in a zip file (link) and there is the source code (link). I don't know which you are using. I wanted to test if the pre-compiled version supports 32 bit as well as 64 bit Windows VST's. I can't because my distro is too old. Anyway, it should since in the archive there is a file called "lin-vst-server32.exe.so" so it shoul. However, one must have installed in Linux the so-called multilib packages of g++ and gcc. From the readme in the zip file: To enable 32 bit vst support, a distros multiarch needs to be enabled first (ie sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib for Debian/Ubuntu).

This might solve the 32 bit/64 Windows VST problems you may have.

If you want to compile LinVST from source then my post in aforementioned topic from March 4 2019 might help...

My experiences w/ LinVST so far: the standalone version does not show up in Carla (?). The embedded version shows up in Carla, Qtractor etc. However both the embedded as well as the standalone versions make VST's go berserk in Qtractor (all buttons and knobs turn around like crazy without stopping).

I'd rather use Carla for Windows VST 32- and 64 bit support. My 2 cents.
thx for reply, it's encouraging !

i'm on linvst too, the multilib u given are installed,

most plugs work so i gonna create a topik just for Omnisphere 2, the one that bugs here...

i hope you will help me coz i advanced a bit since yesterday with it. (i not sleeped)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Mk2 wrote:[...]i'm on linvst too, the multilib u given are installed,

most plugs work so i gonna create a topik just for Omnisphere 2, the one that bugs here...

i hope you will help me coz i advanced a bit since yesterday with it. (i not sleeped)
I see that Omnisphare is a $ 500 product. Linux is not supported, but for such a price one might try to get some support from the manufacturer. They'd be in the right if they were to say that Linux is not supported and therefore they cannot help you but I'd try it one if I were you...

In which DAW do you want to use siad VST and have considered using Carla?

Good luck. :)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Mk2 wrote: how do you know what library u need to add for wine for VSTi to work well ?
Because of Debian packaging ? The package will not install if there are missing dependencies.

I only run 64-bit plugins with linvst.

I re-installed everything recently using Xubuntu 18.04. wine-staging is a package that installs in one step. wine-staging, not the regular wine. Same with linvst, although ubuntuuser has put a fix for Melda plugins in the source recently, so I compiled it afterwards and I run the compiled version. Everything is a snap really.
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: I see that Omnisphare is a $ 500 product. Linux is not supported, but for such a price one might try to get some support from the manufacturer. They'd be in the right if they were to say that Linux is not supported and therefore they cannot help you but I'd try it one if I were you...
They might not have much to say. How could they if they're not already testing using Linux ? They have no idea. This said, some (little guys) are really trying to be helpful. Vojtech from Melda for instance sent me debug versions of MDrummer to troubleshoot a problem in Bitwig. Or Rob Papen who looked at some X/Y code in Blue2 that was getting glitches from Bitwig where has Predator2 and Go2 X/Y did not. But granted, these two had more to do with the DAW than with Linux and this is probably why they got interested.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

About Omnispehre, I think I tried to try it once but it turned out that they do not have any demo available for download. Either that or the demo did not installed right or ran correctly. So in that case since I do not have a backlog of Windows plugins to make work, I simply dropped it.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

@Mk2: I read that you use Bitwig as your DAW of choice. Bitwig supports VST according to its website, but I think that they mean Linux native VST's, not Windows VST's. You might try to run the Windows version of Bitwig in Wine instead of the Linux native version. Because Windows Bitwig should support Windows VST's pretty darn well!

Like I said: you could also try Carla as a Windows VST bridge. It will show up in a DAW as an LV2 plugin (not supported by Bitwig) and as a Linux native VST, see picture below of the plugin dialog-window of Qtractor (a Linux native sequencer/DAW):

Again: good luck. :)

P.S. The problems you have most probably do not have anything to do w/ Wine. Just make sure you do not use a very old installation of Wine which is 32 bit (i.e. a 32 bit Wine prefix, if you want to know what a wine prefix is then ask; long story)
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:@Mk2: I read that you use Bitwig as your DAW of choice. Bitwig supports VST according to its website, but I think that they mean Linux native VST's, not Windows VST's.
VSTs are VSTs. You support the VST protocol or not. The job of linvst is to bridge the wine-driven binaries to the Linux VST host. The Linux VST host, Bitwig in this case, speaks VST. The Windows binary plugin speaks VST. When linvst can bridge both then they both can speak to each other.

Or maybe a screenshot speaks a dozen words:

Bitwig 2.4.3 for Linux. Xubuntu 18.04 LTS
biwiglinvst.jpg
biwiglinvst.jpg (95.28 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

jonetsu wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:@Mk2: I read that you use Bitwig as your DAW of choice. Bitwig supports VST according to its website, but I think that they mean Linux native VST's, not Windows VST's.
VSTs are VSTs. You support the VST protocol or not. The job of linvst is to bridge the wine-driven binaries to the Linux VST host. The Linux VST host, Bitwig in this case, speaks VST. The Windows binary plugin speaks VST. When linvst can bridge both then they both can speak to each other.

On my system Windows VST's are libraries w/ the extension .dll (dynamic link library) and Linux VST's are libraries w/ the extension .so (shared object). I place them both in ~/vst/, not somewhere in ~/.wine/ like some people do. I do not know a lot about programming, protocols, etc. but what I consider to be a binary is in most cases an executable. There fore I call some VST's a Windows VST and others a Linux native VST... Because one won't work without bridging in the other OS.

But maybe that's nitpicking 'bout definitions... :)
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:@Mk2: I read that you use Bitwig as your DAW of choice. Bitwig supports VST according to its website, but I think that they mean Linux native VST's, not Windows VST's. You might try to run the Windows version of Bitwig in Wine instead of the Linux native version. Because Windows Bitwig should support Windows VST's pretty darn well!

Like I said: you could also try Carla as a Windows VST bridge. It will show up in a DAW as an LV2 plugin (not supported by Bitwig) and as a Linux native VST, see picture below of the plugin dialog-window of Qtractor (a Linux native sequencer/DAW):

Again: good luck. :)

P.S. The problems you have most probably do not have anything to do w/ Wine. Just make sure you do not use a very old installation of Wine which is 32 bit (i.e. a 32 bit Wine prefix, if you want to know what a wine prefix is then ask; long story)
but if i install bitwig with wine, i can use jack audio in wine version ? works like windows ?
Mk2
Established Member

Post by Mk2 »

can't wine bitwig.msi :

$ wine Bit*
wine: Mauvais format EXE pour O:\Téléchargements\Bitwig.msi.

there a chance omnisphere works with carla ?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Mk2 wrote:can't wine bitwig.msi :

$ wine Bit*
Aucune idée de ce qui est essayé ici.

No idea of what's been tried here.
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Mk2 wrote:but if i install bitwig with wine, i can use jack audio in wine version ? works like windows ?
Now why in the world would want to run the Windows Bitwig version in Linux when there's a native Linux Bitwig ?
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Mk2 wrote:but if i install bitwig with wine, i can use jack audio in wine version ? works like windows ?
Good question, I don't know. Someone else will. You might have to switch to WiniASIO or something. But you can at least test if the VST works like you expect it to. I take it that if you payed for Bitwig than you can download and try the Windows version and/or the Linux version?
Mk2 wrote:can't wine bitwig.msi :

$ wine Bit*

I don't speak French so I don't know what that error message means or what you tried to do... If I were you I'd install Carla (do you use the KXStudio repository? You should!). Then in Carla do:
  1. Go to: "Settings -> Configure Carla -> Main". Under "Experimental" tick "Enable experimental features".
  2. In the Settings Windows go to "Experimental" and tick "Enable plugin bridges" and "Enable Wine bridges".
  3. Restart Carla.
Then:
  1. Go to: "Settings -> Configure Carla -> Paths"
  2. Click on the pull down menu and choose "VST". Add the path to your Windows VST's, for instance: /home/your_name/vst/ or /home/your_name/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/vstplugins etc.
  3. To be sure enable all Wine things in the Wine part of the Settings window.
  4. Click "Add plugin" in Carla's main menu.
  5. Make sure you tick "VST", "Instruments" and "Bridged (Wine)". Notice that in Carla the term "Bridged (32 bit)" means native (Linux) VST's that are 32 bit (most Linux installations on computers are 64 bit now a days).
  6. Click on the "Scan" button at the top right.
  7. Yet another dialog window will pop up. That window is called "Refresh". Now tick "VST", "Windows 32 bit" and "Wndows 64 bit". Check that in the info panel on the right it says, among others: "Carla-discovery-win32" and "Carla-discovery-win64".
  8. Press "Scan" (wait a long time) and "Close". You'll be back in the "Carla - Add new" window, tick "Bridged (Wine)" again (on my PC it was deselected again).
  9. Pray that your beloved Windows VST will pop up.
Good luck. :)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

jonetsu wrote:
Now why in the world would want to run the Windows Bitwig version in Linux when there's a native Linux Bitwig ?
To see if his beloved VST will work. It looks like it doesn't play well with LinVST as a bridge. So to eliminate bridge software one might consider desperate measures.

BTW I'm slowly getting small bad vibes from your replies. Are you angry with me? No hard feelings on my side. :)
jonetsu
Established Member

Re:

Post by jonetsu »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
jonetsu wrote:

On my system Windows VST's are libraries w/ the extension .dll (dynamic link library) and Linux VST's are libraries w/ the extension .so (shared object). I place them both in ~/vst/, not somewhere in ~/.wine/ like some people do. I do not know a lot about programming, protocols, etc. but what I consider to be a binary is in most cases an executable. There fore I call some VST's a Windows VST and others a Linux native VST... Because one won't work without bridging in the other OS.

But maybe that's nitpicking 'bout definitions... :)
The reply was about "Bitwig supports VST according to its website, but I think that they mean Linux native VST's, not Windows VST's"

Bitwig means VST. Universal VST.
Last edited by jonetsu on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.