The first experiments of designing sounds on VCV Rack

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

psyocean
Established Member

The first experiments of designing sounds on VCV Rack

Post by psyocean »

Greetings, LinuxMusicians! :)

Recently, I discovered the universe of the VCV Rack modular synthesizer, which drew into the cognitive process of creating different synthesizer designs from a variety of modules. Immense field for experiments. Up to this point I have recorded two draft compositions with this program, which I share for you. Excuse my flaws in playing on the midi-keyboard, I'm not a pianist :roll:

1. "The Balloon Flight" - improvisation work. Time for relax! :D Slow ambient improvisation in the vintage electronic style. Split keyboard - solo and pad (Polyphony - 4 notes :mrgreen: ). This config for VCV Rack on pic below.
Homework video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGZzRo1ZMzU

2. "The Island of Dr. Moreau" - draft recording of the melody inspired by the film based on the novel by Herbert Wells.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzgMXh1A-sY

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
davephillips
Established Member

Re: The first experiments of designing sounds on VCV Rack

Post by davephillips »

Greetings !

Sounds like you're off to a good start. :)

I'm not sure why more Linux users aren't into it but I've found VCV Rack to be a most interesting and engaging open-source project, on many levels. Maybe it's the lack of presets ? ;)

At any rate, it's a powerful environment that can be used standalone or connected to a variety of inputs and outputs. It's fully JACK-capable, hosts VST plugins very nicely, and already has some remarkable modules available for it.

Have fun, I look forward to hearing what you'll produce next with it.

Best regards,

Dave Phillips
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@psyocean

Sounding great, I don't hear any flaws though... Nice playing of the melodies with feeling.

I can see how the rack could be addictive once you get started... a rig that can grow with your changing needs and new modules to experiment with... It's a charm bracelet for synthesizer freaks!

@davephillips

You make a good point, I am very slow to add new items to the AV Linux ISO but I think VCVRack is definitely worth adding to the next AVL ISO update. Are there particular modules you would recommend for a beginner setup that are not included in the main application?
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Very nice. I must try and learn some of the principles of synthesis - I'm sure amazing things can be achieved.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Quite enjoyable, and an interesting set of sounds. However I found them a bit on the 'brittle' side. Was that a choice, or does this synth not do warmer sounds?
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

GMaq wrote:... It's a charm bracelet for synthesizer freaks...
Spot on. :)

I'll reply to the rest of your note later, G, but I gotta tell you, that got me laughing.

Best,

dp
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

One of my kids is turning 13 today, and guess what he wants for his birthday? He wants me to download and install VCV Rack on our family computer for him! I think I can make that happen . . .

I enjoyed hearing your early adventures with it, psyocean. Keep them coming!
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

>> Davephillips, gratitude for comment! :)

The VCV Rack project is gaining momentum, but gradually, Linux users flow into its funnel. Yes, strangely, I only recently learned about VCV Rack. Everything has its time. Need qualifications. Presets exist, the whole mountain :D For example, here https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/ But there are two obstacles. A downloadable preset requires all modules to be installed, which are very, very much for VCV Rack, so 99% of presets do not start immediately if you recently use it just because there are not "a million" different modules installed. Secondly, the presets for VCV Rack are very complicated, so it’s only the author himself or some fanatics who are ready to sit around for one preset for days to understand the circuitry and what is regulated. A good way is to understand the basic principles and design oneself, there is a base of video that helps to master various configurations.

>> GMaq, thank you for comment! :)

It's great that you are involved in the AV Linux multimedia distribution, a very necessary thing, bravo! Honestly, this distribution was out of my sight, I was interested in your project, I think over time to try to install it.

The modules for VCV Rack are organized according to the repository principle; basic modules are installed on the computer with synth base. Other modules keeping in the immense repository, from which you can install the right one as needed. There is even a Piano Roll music sequencer. So you can design a synthesizer with DAW elements.

>> Magicalex, Thank you comment and positive perception, good luck for you!

>> Folderol. Thank you for your comment! These are just the first steps, the beginners constructions, of course they are not perfected. Or maybe because it is winter, there is still snow and cool in Petersburg :) For warmith twist the cutoff, put EQ on the output... and tube amplifier :wink:

Cheers!

davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

psyocean wrote:The VCV Rack project is gaining momentum, but gradually, Linux users flow into its funnel. Yes, strangely, I only recently learned about VCV Rack. Everything has its time. Need qualifications. Presets exist, the whole mountain :D For example, here https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/
In Rack-speak, those are patches, not presets. Presets are module-specific, i.e. I have three or four reverb presets specific to the ValleyAudio Plateau plate reverb module. I have a lot of patches that use that module, so I've saved and can reload my favorite settings as presets for it. Presets capability arrived for Rack only recently, btw.

Another distinction to make is between plugin and module. Each developer creates a single plugin (plugin.so) for his or her modules. Thus, the one plugin may contain one or more modules.

There's a whole other language around modulars. :)

Best regards,

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

GMaq wrote: @davephillips

... I think VCVRack is definitely worth adding to the next AVL ISO update. Are there particular modules you would recommend for a beginner setup that are not included in the main application?
I don't want to hijack the thread here, so I'll start another to answer your question. See
this thread for a detailed reply.

Best,
dp
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

>> Davephillips. Ok, accepted. VCV Rack is worth it to promote it to the masses :)