But I have noticed some issues with the program that I would like to share with the developer who I believe is 'rncbc' on here, right?
These are my feature requests ranging from what I consider to be important to quality of life improvements based on my comparisons with Qtractor and other DAW's I've used:
first of all you should know about my usual, decade old stance: qtractor is not a DAW but a sequencer with some DAW features.
1. Ability to see the amount of delay caused by plugins on an individual basis and also the over all amount of delay caused so that proper adjustments can be made by the user rather than guess work.
2. Automatic plugin delay compensation would also be a very nice addition to the above.
qtractor does not have support for automatic plugin latency compensation and there are no immediate plans to support that anytime soon. sorry.
3. Ability to set independant bit depths for recording and exporting. I would suggest having the main audio menu option for bit depth to only apply to a recording & mixing scenario, then when you export a song to audio, have the option in that export menu to change the desired bit depth for the exported track. And on that note, are there any dithering functionalities available? If not, that'd be nice to have.
however this is provided through the audio file framework in charge (libsndfile) and specification eg. WAV 16bit (default), 24bit, 32bit float (recommended); dithering is only applicable when converting from a higher bitdepth to a smaller one so that's why it is one of the top recommendations to you always use a 32-bit float audio pcm format which matches with JACK and thus dithering should be only an option at the sound-device interface (D/A).
4. Ability to have windows with 'Always on top' enabled to remain in this state after said window has been closed and even after the session is reloaded so it only has to be set the once.
as discussed earlier, this is a general WM issue; you should consider bluebell's advice for that matter. however it might be considered and indulged to bring old behavior back to the front as an user preference option: make sure you ask and file for just that on a ticket to be remembered on the next cycle and dot release -- hint: "Make MIDI clip editor (piano-roll) and/or plugin GUIs windows 'always on top' as an user preference options"...
let's see how that goes in the future
5. Need window size & zoom settings to stay as set, either globally or simply within saved sessions/templates.
they are set globally and some plugin window positions are saved to sessions -- what exactly are you not seeing?
6. Ability to categorise plugins in a convenient menu (EQ's, Compressors, Reverbs etc.) rather than just having one massive list with all plugins.
nope or at least not in the plans
you can search text in whatever by name, label or path, but categorization is something that is not always provided by all plugins and managing that yourself is rather tedious and a waste of time IMO.
however I'd welcome any brave soul's contribution in the form of code, patch, pull-request, etc. if anyone is willing to.
7. Ctrl + scroll on the playlist does horizontal zoom, where as on the piano roll it does over all zoom. I think it would make more sense to have the piano roll also do horizontal zoom by default.
8. Being able to zoom vertical/horizontal by dragging the edge of the scroll bars/navigation windows would be quicker & more convenient than having to click the magnifying glass buttons.
check menu View > Zoom > Horizontal, Vertical, All (All=both).
9. Being able to select all notes on a row just by doing a modified click on the related piano note. * video example below *
10. Being able to select a group of notes and adjust all of their velocities by an equal amount at once by holding down a key (maybe Alt, Ctrl or Shift) and scrolling the mouse wheel. * video example below *
you can select all notes on a row, even on multiple rows: just do a "lasso" (click+drag+release) over one left-keyboard note or piano key.
take note that the usual Shift and Ctrl modifiers are in to help making contiguous, grouping and toggling selections, something that is all over place in the qtractor GUI
also, in the midi clip editor (aka. piano-roll) in particular, if you select more than one event in a group, changing the value (eg. velocity) of one, by dragging the top edge of the vertical bar, the change is applied to the whole selection, not only the one being dragged up and down.
there are much more ameneties in addition to this, like using either Shift and/or Ctrl modifiers, depending on the edit mode and context -- you'll have to try and see for yourself, because the user-manual might just not cope with all this and most of all it has been written by users like you and is of course not an exhaustive treaty whatsoever
11. You can place the playhead by shift or ctrl clicking with the left or middle mouse button. It would also be nice to be able to continue dragging & relocating the playhead in this fashion just by holding down the first click rather than having to keep clicking new locations or dragging the top point of the playhead itself.
you have what you have now
and that is not going to change any time soon; currently you only have the option to View > Options... > Display > Reverse middle-button modifier role (Shift/Ctrl); maybe you can try whether that is better to you.
12. It's nice to already have keyboard shortcuts configured for a new user to get a sense of the program's logic and workflow & minimise the initial configuration needed (while keeping the ability to customise them if desired). I would suggest figuring out a control scheme and having it pre-setup for new users in future. This would also be good when users teach eachother how to use the program as most users will probably just stick with the default configuration.
what exactly do you have in mind?
there are keyboard-shortcuts already configured as "factory" default that follows the pretty old UI standard for generic SDI applications and plus some specific to qtractor; you're free to override these and add some more of your liking; you can even map to MIDI controllers; choices are almost endless as are different and personal workflows.
always remember that this is a niche open-source, community driven and development: you're free and so am i
finally, please consider to move over to https://www.rncbc.org
and/or raise tickets or issues on sf.net or github.com resp. as this here is not quite one a proper support forum for talking deep on qtractor in particular or yours truly qstuff in general.
cheers && thanks
ps. sorry for the "nope"s above; please don't take'm ad hominem