Linux, Windows, and Mac

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Linux, Windows, and Mac

Post by funkmuscle »

I just wanted to know this for sometime and maybe someone here can answer this for me.

Why when an app is ported to Mac or Windows, these OS's get more attention? I would be using an app, visit the site to see that it's now available for Mac and Windows and by the next visit, everything is catering to those two OS's before Linux.

The maker of apps for Mac and Windows don't seem to really care about Linux so why are we catering to Mac or Windows?

I love vst plugins but I need fst, dssi-vst and wine to run them and no one seems to be creating a version of there vst for Linux...
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Because free software is about freedom and those people who are trapped in the little os worlds most need to be set free. Therefore, it should be our mission to liberate a decieved and trapped people from the clutches of virus laden software and restrictive media formats and any other evil that threatens their natural right to live in freadom.

-Matt :D

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

MattKingUSA wrote:Because free software is about freedom and those people who are trapped in the little os worlds most need to be set free. Therefore, it should be our mission to liberate a decieved and trapped people from the clutches of virus laden software and restrictive media formats and any other evil that threatens their natural right to live in freadom.
Actualy, it's more likely that it's becuase they have a much much larger user base than linux.

-Matt :D

SR
Established Member

Re: Linux, Windows, and Mac

Post by SR »

[quote="funkmuscle"]I would be using an app, visit the site to see that it's now available for Mac and Windows and by the next visit, everything is catering to those two OS's before Linux.[/quote]

Which app(s) are you talking about?
brummer

Post by brummer »

funkmuscle wrote:I love vst plugins but I need fst, dssi-vst and wine to run them and no one seems to be creating a version of there vst for Linux...
Oh, you meen noboby ?
http://www.anticore.org/jucetice/?page_id=4

You will find a lot of people (with free mind's) working to make Linux/Audio a good choice for everybody.
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Hah I see where you're coming from. Just look at KDE. Aaron Seigo simply says, as far as I can recall, that it's a matter of marketing or somewhere along those lines.

Make your product available for a larger mass - that has always been a good strategy. It's not about "hey you don't like me why should i like you?!" but about countering evil with good. I think.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

thanx dudes... great answers.
brummer, I know about jost but as the owner and I have discussed, these vst are for windows and the developers of other vsts we've been asking them to make their plugins open source and only a few has done so.
the dude at jost and I have been emailing developers of free vst like SimuAnalog, which refuses to acknowledge us, and Juicy77, who is a great guy but has licensing issues, but others just plain don't want others working on "their creation"
I just wanted an answer and to see how others felt.
Thanx again gang.