newb - how to create new midi track MusE 3.0.2

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Plug&Play
Established Member

newb - how to create new midi track MusE 3.0.2

Post by Plug&Play »

I downloaded MusE from sourceforge, worked through installing some dependencies, and got it installed.

I was able to import a midi file, and produce sound with QJackCtl and Qsynth.
I could open PianoRoll, but never was able to edit the track.

Also, I was not able to get an internal synth setup - I could not figure out how to change the midi selection in the existing track.
The instructions at the bottom of http://www.muse-sequencer.org/index.php ... oft_Synths
only told me how to create a new track.
I rebooted (Muse had crashed) and began from scratch to follow the instruction to add a soft synth, those instructions end with
Close this screen, go back to MusE's main screen and add an track. Click on the O-Port and select the synthesizer we just added again. It's done, play arround with it.
When done, I was able to select the soft synth that was added.

I can not open the piano roll, I get a "Nothing to Edit" popup.
I tried to edit the track in the main window with no success.

I just can not figure this out...Help?

Rob

Music Music Music !
spamatica
Established Member

Re: newb - how to create new midi track MusE 3.0.2

Post by spamatica »

Hi Rob,

Did you check the videos on the tutorials page?
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Tutorials

Tutorial 1 for MusE 2.2 hopefully gives you a good start. There has been some changes to how it works but it's mostly the same.
MusE DAW
Plug&Play
Established Member

Post by Plug&Play »

Tutorial 1 for MusE 2.2 hopefully gives you a good start. There has been some changes to how it works but it's mostly the same.
Thank you for pointing me to "MusE 2.2 introduction video" & "MusE 2.2 setting up and recording with metronome" that you made. I am a retired engineer, and I appreciate your pedagogical style: staying focused on the lesson, but taking the time to demonstrate where one must look to know is something is working correctly, talking about what one should see, and what one should not see in the display. Also, that the material is presented in with no extraneous chatter (except when you did not like the chords you played! :wink: ) and of course that you speak clearly, all things that make for a great presentation.

I have not tried to do what I learned, just seeing you draw a note in the "part canvas" ( I was not in the right spot) then invoking the piano roll was a huge help. Every thing that was presented will be a great help.

Regards,
Rob

Rob

Music Music Music !
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Just drop us a line if you get stuck later on!
MusE DAW