Dragonfly Hall Reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Dragonfly Hall Reverb

Post by Michael Willis »

bluebell wrote:Opened Qtractor, loaded Dragonfly into the Master out, UI is displayed properly :-/
It's a Schrödinbugger. You can't put the cat back in the box after it is out.

Edit: I realize that this is a direct contradiction of my previous comment... In case it is not clear, this is kind of a joke.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

It seems the bug has gone with latest git head.

EDIT: I was wrong. It still happens.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

singforme
Established Member

Post by singforme »

Just a quick Thank YOU, it's awesome, I use it all the time!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I've just started using it too and I'm very impressed, thank you!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I used Dragonfly in a recent Renoise project. And somehow the plugin has some issues. There is some kind of "feedback noise" generated by Dragonfly sometimes and it makes the sound of the whole project completely go off. Observed a similar issue once in Ardour.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

lilith wrote:I used Dragonfly in a recent Renoise project. And somehow the plugin has some issues. There is some kind of "feedback noise" generated by Dragonfly sometimes and it makes the sound of the whole project completely go off. Observed a similar issue once in Ardour.
I'm really sorry about this bug. Out of a large number of people who have used Dragonfly Reverb, you are only the third person to report this. As of yet I have not found a consistent way to reproduce it. If you can report any more details, that would be really helpful. Even better would be if you can send me a minimal DAW session that repeatably exhibits this bug.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Michael Willis wrote:
lilith wrote:I used Dragonfly in a recent Renoise project. And somehow the plugin has some issues. There is some kind of "feedback noise" generated by Dragonfly sometimes and it makes the sound of the whole project completely go off. Observed a similar issue once in Ardour.
I'm really sorry about this bug. Out of a large number of people who have used Dragonfly Reverb, you are only the third person to report this. As of yet I have not found a consistent way to reproduce it. If you can report any more details, that would be really helpful. Even better would be if you can send me a minimal DAW session that repeatably exhibits this bug.
No problem :D It didn't happen when I started with the project, but just yesterday. I think with Renoise it will be difficult to get more infos. With Ardour it might be possible to get a crash dump. What DAW did the other 3 users use? Yesterday I had had to open the project three time until it was working.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

bluebell wrote:It seems the bug has gone with latest git head.

EDIT: I was wrong. It still happens.
lilith wrote:No problem :D It didn't happen when I started with the project, but just yesterday. I think with Renoise it will be difficult to get more infos. With Ardour it might be possible to get a crash dump. What DAW did the other 3 users use? Yesterday I had had to open the project three time until it was working.
Please try the latest and let me know if it fixes the problems that either of you are experiencing:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... /tag/1.1.4

For anybody interested in the details, Robin Gareus (x42) recommended that I run valgrind and resolve any reported issues. Valgrind notified me that some places in freeverb3 were using uninitialized values in functions called by the constructor of the late reverb algorithm. I fixed that, but I'm still not certain whether it fixes either bug. I'm hoping that the bugs reported by bluebell and lilith are actually caused by the same problem, just manifested in two different ways.

Edit: Nevermind, the bug still happens... soooo frustrating. Oh well, the "good news" is that I now have an Ardour session that regularly has this bug, it seems to happen about once every three or four times I start the session, so at least now I have a somewhat consistent way to test it.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I get v1.1.3 from git only.

I can download the 1.1.4 archive but:

Code: Select all

hm@regen:~/src/dragonfly/dragonfly-reverb-1.1.4$ make
Makefile:7: dpf/Makefile.base.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `dpf/Makefile.base.mk'.  Stop.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

bluebell wrote:I get v1.1.3 from git only.

I can download the 1.1.4 archive but:

Code: Select all

hm@regen:~/src/dragonfly/dragonfly-reverb-1.1.4$ make
Makefile:7: dpf/Makefile.base.mk: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `dpf/Makefile.base.mk'.  Stop.
I did it on a git branch called `valgrind`, since it was an experimental change.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

git clone --recursive -b valgrind https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragonfly-reverb.git

No change. Sometimes the freqencies' display is correct, sometimes only plain white.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I had that rare bug again where dragonfly.lv2 tries to output lots of noise but kills the entire sound in Qtractor. Loading the session again helps. Must be a race condition in the init code.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

bluebell wrote:I had that rare bug again where dragonfly.lv2 tries to output lots of noise but kills the entire sound in Qtractor. Loading the session again helps. Must be a race condition in the init code.
Thanks for reporting. When you say "init code", do you mean it happened right after you loaded the session? If so, that's a really helpful clue. I don't ever experience this in the middle of working on a session, it's only sometimes after I load the session.

Also, could you give me more details on your system, like CPU, distro, version of ALSA and/or JACK, version of qtractor, etc.? Thanks!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Michael Willis wrote:
bluebell wrote:I had that rare bug again where dragonfly.lv2 tries to output lots of noise but kills the entire sound in Qtractor. Loading the session again helps. Must be a race condition in the init code.
Thanks for reporting. When you say "init code", do you mean it happened right after you loaded the session? If so, that's a really helpful clue. I don't ever experience this in the middle of working on a session, it's only sometimes after I load the session.

Also, could you give me more details on your system, like CPU, distro, version of ALSA and/or JACK, version of qtractor, etc.? Thanks!
I use Xubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 Core i5 and Core i7 systems with 16 or 32 GB RAM and a SSD.
jackd is 1.9.11, Qtractor is latest from GIT.

I think of some kind init code that is executed when the plugin is loaded. Deactivating/activating it in Qtractor didn't help. Closing and restarting Qtractor and reloading the plugin helped.

Unfortunately Iforgot to ...
- unload/reload the plugin in Qtractor
- unload/reload the Qtractor session without restarting Qtractor

Next time ...

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

bluebell wrote:Core i5 and Core i7
Ooh, interesting. I never experienced this bug when I was using my old AMD processor, but I recently switched out some of my hardware and now I'm using an i5... It might be happenstance, or it might be another clue.