Prism Sound interface ?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Swing
Established Member

Prism Sound interface ?

Post by Swing »

Has anyone had luck using a Prism interface on a Linux machine? If so could you please provide info as to your experience in getting it going?

I have a Titan running on Mac machines and would like to test on a nice Lenovo running Ubunto Studio 18.10 with Mixbus 32C, Ardour, or Reaper. Unfortunately, after having no luck myself, and finding little info on GS, Prism, or elsewhere I figured I'd ask.

I don't mind that the Prism's settings may need to be set from a Mac, as I have also tried without success to install the Prism USB Audio windows application via Wine on Linux. And I am also ok with AV Linux or any other distribution.

For anyone who has had success with one Prism unit on Linux, have you had success running two units as an aggregate device?

Thanks much for any info.
Drumfix
Established Member

Re: Prism Sound interface ?

Post by Drumfix »

Hi Swing,

in order to not clutter the forum i'd like to do this using PMs.

First i need some information.

Open a terminal with the device unplugged and:

1. Enter

Code: Select all

tail -f /var/log/syslog
then plug the device into the USB port.

Hit ctrl-c and save the output of the above command into a file, e.g. syslog.txt.

2. Enter

aplay -l >aplay.txt
3. Enter

lsusb -v >lsusb.txt
4. Enter

uname -a >uname.txt
Makeing an aggregate device requires to write a asoundrc file.

This is described here http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc in section "Virtual multi channel devices" with an example of two RME HDSP cards.

Post the files here

Drumfix
Swing
Established Member

Post by Swing »

Hi again Drumfix, I'll try to send a message to the administrators to enable PM functionailty for me and then send PMs with the info. Thanks mucho.
Swing
Established Member

Post by Swing »

Hi Drumfix, thanks mucho. Attaches are syslog, lsusb, and uname.
Attachments
uname.txt
(121 Bytes) Downloaded 55 times
lsusb.txt
(55.6 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
prism syslog.txt
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Swing
Established Member

Post by Swing »

And attached is aplay.
Attachments
aplay.txt
(773 Bytes) Downloaded 54 times
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

The device is recognized by alsa just fine and looking at the USB descriptors it shouldn't need any quirks.

Its alsa name is hw:1 or Titan

Should work out of the box.

BTW if you have enough ram >= 4GB, you can install virtualbox and a macOS or Win in it with the configuration tool of the Titan.
Then you can path-thru the interface to the virtualbox for configuration and back to linux when the configuration is done.
Swing
Established Member

Post by Swing »

Stellar !!!!! Thanks mucho Drumfix. I was messed up because I saw Titan is recognized in syslog but also read the multiple lines of "Unsupported USB device type "snd-usb-audio"". I am testing with Mixbus32C and relied on its session setup dialog box. After your info I started straight out with qjackctl instead and saw "hw:Titan" is available and so started up via jack. Then I started Mixbus32C and it skipped the setup dialogue step to select alsa etc. Bingo !!!

So now a bunch of hours testing to see how things run. Also, I have 16GB ram available and will give virtualbox a shot.

Thanks again !!