Sonarworks headphone & speaker calibration software.

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rudolfs.bundulis
Established Member

Sonarworks headphone & speaker calibration software.

Post by rudolfs.bundulis »

Moving the topic that was opened in "Software, Support & Discussion" category (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16940) to here where it belongs:)

I'm happy to help out anyone interested in the Sonarworks Reference 4 VST plugin for Linux.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: Sonarworks headphone & speaker calibration software.

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Do you currently have any builds newer than those you shared in original thread?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
rudolfs.bundulis
Established Member

AlexTheBassist wrote:Do you currently have any builds newer than those you shared in original thread?
Hi Alex,

currently no, we are gonna release 4.1.10 in the beginning of Januray, but the fixes in that release target Systemwide and Measure products, but later in Q1 we will release the 4.2 beta which will have render bypass notifications in plugin, which will be relevant to Linux as well.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I've just finally given this a try and it seems to work well for me with KDE Neon and renoise.

Is the typical use case setting the dry/wet to fully wet?

The plugin makes a huge difference on my DT-880 Editions, I've been thinking about getting something else with more bass because it's nowhere near present enough for electronic music but the plugin corrects this and i think will make the headphones usable. I like the sound of it with the wet at about 80, it flattens things out but makes everything a little more pleasing to listen to.
rudolfs.bundulis
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:I've just finally given this a try and it seems to work well for me with KDE Neon and renoise.

Is the typical use case setting the dry/wet to fully wet?

The plugin makes a huge difference on my DT-880 Editions, I've been thinking about getting something else with more bass because it's nowhere near present enough for electronic music but the plugin corrects this and i think will make the headphones usable. I like the sound of it with the wet at about 80, it flattens things out but makes everything a little more pleasing to listen to.
It actually depends, "most" (but this is subjective) will use the dry wet setting on 100%, but there are others, who state that the correction is too much - but as far as I remember that is mostly for speaker correction use cases. From the technology perspective the 100% makes most sense, since then you have a flat base response, on which you can add tilt or bass boost, but opinions out there differ. If you are interested in this topic you can read up on this reddit post - https://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineeri ... re_couple/
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Hello rudolfs.bundulis,

Is there limited "grace period number" for testing? I mean I have been renewing a few times the beta activation (v4.1.9 build 1) without trouble but recently for the new attempts it doesn't work anymore?

precisely I tried and failed with these two methods:

1. the usual one of in the plugin wake up enter my email and wait for the updated reference files to finish then I have the message "your plugin is activated" but back on the main panel it is still "Not activated" ! Very strange indeed :D

2. the "offline method", well, there I click on "generate the activation code" and it gives me an "ActivationRequest.swinfo" file to save but NO "activation code", then I eventually tried anyway using that file in the field "act req file" and using either my "machine Id" or another try withe the "computer Id" present in the swinfo file in the "activation code" field but it jut burps and silently fails. (I still checked but no file was silently downloaded in the background ;)

Any idea what I could or should do or try?

[Edit]
thru PM with Rudolfs we achieved the repair of my situation, the source of the issue are not yet clear but were quite surely on my side, at the moment I'd say fifty-fifty between brainfartklumsyfungers and network errors or saturation. My bad, not theirs :-)
Last edited by Loki Harfagr on Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calimerox
Established Member

Post by calimerox »

and I ll use the chance of the new thread to see if anybody has a good setup for this:

I would like to run sonarworks globally, I run all the sound through jack using cadence, and with pulse and alsa sinks.. is there a way to implement the plugin constantly into cadence somehow without the need to reconnect everything each time i boot? this would be fantastic, as I would like to also listen to music and watch films using the room correction to have references... thanks!!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

calimerox wrote:and I ll use the chance of the new thread to see if anybody has a good setup for this:

I would like to run sonarworks globally, I run all the sound through jack using cadence, and with pulse and alsa sinks.. is there a way to implement the plugin constantly into cadence somehow without the need to reconnect everything each time i boot? this would be fantastic, as I would like to also listen to music and watch films using the room correction to have references... thanks!!
You can use claudia for this, add carla and load the plugin, route your sound sources in to carla and carla out to the main output. Then save the studio. Then in cadence check the autostart jack or ladish option, click the ... button and chose ladish studio and your studio preset.

You might want to set the option in cadence for self connect mode to Ignore self connect requests to external ports only. Otherwise things can end up being routed to carla and to the main out at the same time. I'm still playing about with it but it works mostly, just keep an eye on the connection graph at first.
somedude
Established Member

Post by somedude »

hi there, i want to buy reference4 for my linux system, where can i download the trial version? is there a way to just get a .vst file like many others do? thanks.
calimerox
Established Member

Post by calimerox »

@ sysrqer

thanks for your great tipps. this works ! only thing: as soon as i connect a new program, lets say to listen to music on moc or vlc, new connections get routed naturally just to the main out, "bypassing" Claudia. Am I doing something wrong or is this not avoidable? Thank you!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

calimerox wrote:@ sysrqer

thanks for your great tipps. this works ! only thing: as soon as i connect a new program, lets say to listen to music on moc or vlc, new connections get routed naturally just to the main out, "bypassing" Claudia. Am I doing something wrong or is this not avoidable? Thank you!
If you are using claudia then as far as I remember you have to connect things manually once and then save the studio, then the connections should be restored next time. Make sure you have ticked the option in the jack setup (in claudia>tools I think) Ignore self connect requests to external ports only.

Qjackctl has patchbay where you can connect everything how you want and then save it, and activate it.

I think non-session-manager can also save it conenctions with jackpatch option.
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

No news since a long time. Did Sonarworks gave up with the plugins for Linux ?
rudolfs.bundulis
Established Member

No we haven't given up:) Simply there have been no major updates to the Linux plugin - thus no news. We might release the calibration software and Systemwide for Linux in autumn, but I don't want to make any promises.
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

I'm very happy of the calibrated AKG 701 i bought last month and that i use with Reference 4 on Linux. I'll buy systemwide for sure and maybe even the calibration software when it will be available on Linux ! :)
cryptout

Post by cryptout »

Hi, is there a how-to for Raspbarian? I would love to use this in my headphone Raspberry Pi -> DAC setup.