Ardour 2..8.5 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Ardour 2..8.5 released

Post by funkmuscle »

from http://ardour.org/node/3292

Ardour 2..8.5 released
Submitted by paul on Fri, 2010-01-22 18:05
in

* Releases

Ardour 2.8.5 has been released. Although I had hoped that the next release would be an alpha version of 3.0, we have accumulated too many critical bug fixes and a few nice to have features to let 2.8.5 wait any longer. OS X users of Ardour are STRONGLY recommended to immediately upgrade to fix a number of nasty problems that should now be gone. Similarly, anyone using MIDI control surfaces with a "Stop" transport button should upgrade NOW to avoid data loss when recording and using that button.
General

* MMC (and other remote control protocols) no longer causes Ardour to discard recorded material when stopping transport.
* fix latency compensation when punching in (which was a regression in 2.8.2)
* fix crash when loading a session with certain kinds of crossfades
* fix "crashes" caused by an endless loop of events related to the editor track "big text cursor"
* don't cause clicks and/or possible plugin problems when editing while the transport is stopped
* load plugin presets at the right time
* an implementation of "Save As" (result is still saved within the session folder)
* new option in editor track list context menu to show only tracks that have regions under the playhead
* initialize the export folder name correctly
* initialize system template folder name correctly
* fixes for 64 bit build with some versions of gcc (ensures that assembler optimizations will be used)
* plugin "favorites" file format modified for portability. We are sorry that you will lose your list of favorites (and/or hidden plugins) after upgrading.
* updated translations for Italian, Russian, Swedish, Norwegian
Grep
Established Member

Re: Ardour 2..8.5 released

Post by Grep »

qharley
Established Member

Post by qharley »

2.8.6 is released already :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

is the manual written for Linux or just Mac? I started to look through it when it released and notice that the instructions were for Macs.
How different is the Mac Ardour to the real Ardour(Linux).
I say real because I was talikng to a Mac user a while back and he thought it was an open source app for Macs only.. He even thought it was developed for Macs nd then ported to Linux. Had to do a little educating.. :D
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

funkmuscle wrote:is the manual written for Linux or just Mac?
The manual is for both. Look for the extra item "Instalation Linux" int the TOC
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

nice... when I have a chance, I will check.

edit: I can see why the Mac user thought it was developed for Macs... when you go to download Ardour, you get the first 2 options for Macs then the 3rd for all platforms... nothing say Linux.
Kinda feels like Linux users have no identity... :cry:

Non Linux users only know Mac and Windows so other platforms must mean something like iPhone, etc... :D
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

I've still yet to get Ardour to work on my Desktop. :cry:
Well that is not strictly true. It runs then I get a popup telling me I should take up farming or something? :mrgreen:
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

@funkmuscle: you have a good point there.
I paid real money for my last Ardour download - didn't notice that the default was the OS-X version - I had to go back and get the Linux version for $0.00. I could have been more on the ball but..... ..... this is a linux app right?

G.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

That's my complaint... it seems that every dev that gets he app ported or working on WIndows or Mac tend to favour those platforms.
I know I ain't a coder or dev or whatever but I switch to Linux because of it being it's own and not caring about the commercial world.
Mac folks are Mac folks, Wndows folks are Windows folks, and more power to them. Linux, we kinda look like the grass is still greener on the other side.
I get laughed at at guitar forums about Linux all the time GarryO. The stupid questions like, "Linux has a desktop? You can record on Linux?" Even KDE now runs on Windows...WHY????
Where is our identity??
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

@funkmuscle

so so, a bit bluesy ? :D
you know, being laughed at by a bunch of ppl does not mean they're right ;)

anyway, if you have some comments about the dev's strategy, he's online on IRC and available for a direct dialog. Before you whine here and there, I think it wiser if you chatted with him/them. No need to succumb to group pressure :)

It seems to me that what you describe behind the complaint is precisely the linux "identity" : fluid, flexible, ever evolving, does not bother showing a pretty face (that often covers for an absence of substance and other sorts of ugly stuff). So let the idiots laugh and be, well, idiotic :D You know better than that, and that's what matters because the whole linux community is more or less on the same page, so you're not alone either.

And you know, MS can collapse, Apple can collapse, just need a good market / economic collapse for that. But linux ? no way, it belongs to the ppl, and that is a little more resilient, don't you think ?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

funkmuscle wrote:That's my complaint... it seems that every dev that gets he app ported or working on WIndows or Mac tend to favour those platforms.
Hmmm, I don't agree, I think it has to do with the bigger user bases for Mac and Windows: more users, more demands, more questions, so more time-consuming for the devs.
funkmuscle wrote:Linux, we kinda look like the grass is still greener on the other side.
I don't think the grass is greener on the other side, not at all. I really, really don't envy Mac or Windows users. Especially Mac. For one single Mac computer (plus OSX updates) I can buy some very nice mics, or effects, or a good soundcard. They don't know what they're missing out on.
funkmuscle wrote:I get laughed at at guitar forums about Linux all the time GarryO. The stupid questions like, "Linux has a desktop? You can record on Linux?"
Just let them, you know better. Or maybe you could ask who's using stuff like this or other similar devices. And I bet a lot of those guitardudes have mediaplayers with embedded Linux at home, or maybe even cellphones with Android on it.
funkmuscle wrote:Where is our identity??
"...it being it's own and not caring about the commercial world."
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Auto, you sure know how to cool someone down... :D
I for one will never buy the Mac or Windows brand... Linux to me is the best.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

thorgal wrote:you know, being laughed at by a bunch of ppl does not mean they're right ;)
Unfortunately a lot of people are perfectly happy not being right. A lot of Windows users seem to think that working with Linux requires you to write your own apps.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

and a question I get all the time. "so how often do you have to compile the kernel?"

true to all that James... thanx Bro.. :D
Last edited by funkmuscle on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brummer

Post by brummer »

happily "we" have a kernel witch we can compile and configure :lol: