High PPI monitor and unreadable fonts

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

High PPI monitor and unreadable fonts

Post by Lyberta »

So I'm kinda returning a bit to music and now I have high PPI monitor and at least Calf and Rosegarden have pretty much unreadable fonts and UI. Is there any solution to this? Why do people still hardcode pixels???
Markus
Established Member

Re: High PPI monitor and unreadable fonts

Post by Markus »

Calf plug-ins should take care of the DPI settings of the desktop, at least font-wise. Graphics are too small still. I started a new branch to add a setting in preferences, but still some way to go and I don't have the time for it atm. Additionally I started a new project I'm concentrating on, which is a general and independent widget toolkit for audio plug-ins and as HiDPI support built in. But even that doesn't make any progress atm due to severe personal circumstance I have to go through currently.
Why do people still hardcode pixels???
Cause the transition is not done in an evening, even for bigger projects. But feel free to take a look at the new branch and help out with it, would be glad.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

Lyberta wrote:So I'm kinda returning a bit to music and now I have high PPI monitor and at least Calf and Rosegarden have pretty much unreadable fonts and UI. Is there any solution to this? Why do people still hardcode pixels???
Have you made sure that your X-Server is set to the correct dpi?

You can check the dpi with the following commands:

xrdb -query | grep dpi
xdpyinfo | grep dots
grep DPI /var/log/Xorg.0.log

These commands should all give you a consistent output.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Markus wrote:Additionally I started a new project I'm concentrating on
Wow, that code smells 1990s. Why so extremely old C-like style if you force it to be C++?
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

Lyberta wrote:Wow, that code smells 1990s. Why so extremely old C-like style if you force it to be C++?
Good point, would be cool if you could rework the current state (it's not that much by now), I could probably learn something.
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

Lyberta wrote:Wow, that code smells 1990s. Why so extremely old C-like style if you force it to be C++?
You know, it's exactly these kind of nasty, unnecessary and off-topic (in this thread) comments that put off a lot of people from releasing their source code. :shock:
You are not helping your cause.